slow .vpk install

Discussion in 'PS Vita - Hacking & Homebrew' started by seniorcelica, Aug 6, 2018.

1. seniorcelica
    OP

seniorcelica Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 9, 2017
    Canada
    brand new sandsk 128 gb card installs at very slow speeds via vitashell. and way to speed up? TIA

2. kublai

kublai GBAtemp Fan

May 29, 2008
    United States
    I'm having the same problem, usually bigger .vpk installs faster than smaller ones. Kinda weird.

3. leon315

leon315 POWERLIFTER

Nov 27, 2013
    Italy
    MICRO SD CARD can be read on pc through a card reader, you can unzip vpk and renamed it to PXXX00000(for game code you can look it at param.sfo in sys folder) then move it to microSD, PROFIT :)

Last edited by leon315, Aug 6, 2018
  4. kublai

kublai GBAtemp Fan

May 29, 2008
    United States
    Which dir do you put the extracted PXXX00000 game on the microSD card?

5. KinGTD

KinGTD Member

Newcomer
    Jan 14, 2016
    United States
    More than likely not a problem with your SD card. I had similar issues with Vitashell installing .VPK's slowly but on Molecular shell they install fine. What i did was the following. (Very similar to what lean315 said but a little different)

1. Extract .VPK using tools like WinRAR/ 7zip etc.
    2. Take the folder and move it to the root of the SD Card
    3. Open VitaShell and go into SD drive (usually ux0) and highlight the folder of the game you want installed)
    4. Press Triangle, go down to MORE, Click on INSTALL FOLDER
    5. Let it install (not much installing, its just moving the folder and doing some minor stuff to install the game)and PROFIT. No need to refresh LIVEAREA or anything.

Last edited by KinGTD, Aug 6, 2018
    b2p1mp likes this.
  6. kublai

kublai GBAtemp Fan

May 29, 2008
    United States
    Thanks for the instructions.

7. b2p1mp

b2p1mp Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 10, 2018
    United States
    Some vpks contain many many small files, like 30,000, and even the developers of them recommend renaming to zip and extracting on a pc and then manually adding the folder with the proper folder name in the correct spot on the vita memory. Once added, then you refresh livearea in vitashell... I may be wrong though. Also some vpks just start going slow and if you cancel the install and restart it, sometimes the 2nd attempt works at normal speed.

8. snoofly

snoofly GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 18, 2015
    United States
    Like the guy above said, vpk install depends on number/size files contained within the archive.
    A vpk that’s huge but with a few really large files would install quickly at around 4000K/s in my exp, but smaller vpks with more tiny files down to 2 - 5k/s at times
    and could easily take a lot longer to install.

b2p1mp likes this.