SJWs are ruining everything we love

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hey man, don't hassle the Hoff. Lol Ok, I admit he wasn't the bes

On the contrary, a black FAN of the material not in favor of the actress's appearance differing
drastically with the series source material only goes to prove that my opinion isn't motivated by race. I would also have a problem with Cyborg or Static being played by a white guy. Further more, I'm not a fan of Thanos being less purple than he was in the end scene of the previous Marvel movies. So let's just throw the stigma of actual races RIGHT out the window.
Don't bother, people like that will Always throw with the racist card, even if you proof to them that you aren't, they will keep throwing that at you

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Hey man, don't hassle the Hoff. Lol Ok, I admit he wasn't the bes

On the contrary, a black FAN of the material not in favor of the actress's appearance differing
drastically with the series source material only goes to prove that my opinion isn't motivated by race. I would also have a problem with Cyborg or Static being played by a white guy. Further more, I'm not a fan of Thanos being less purple than he was in the end scene of the previous Marvel movies. So let's just throw the stigma of actual races RIGHT out the window.
Previously stated statement, citing one person does not an entire group make. I honestly hate that style of argument because it's the "not racist, but" style of argument. A lot of the actually established black characters often had story arcs that involve the social issues involving their race, thus changing their race often comes off an actual insult to that character's story. Realistically the same can not be said with most white characters, unless they had changed something else established that would actually ruin the character drastically if changed. Changing Starfire from white to black doesn't change anything about her character, hell it might actually add to the personal struggles she has to go through. I am not the best at identifying different shades of blue or purple because I am rather colorblind, so I honestly didn't notice the change in his skin tone...nor did I really care to notice...because I can't notice to begin with...

Last edited by The Catboy,

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
While there is exaggeration, I agree there isn't an army of female hating men and people like Sarkeesian are just exploring the situations for their own interest, I like to state there was and still is a problem portraiting women and particular sets of people. In case of women, it is still unbelievable to me how unrealistic most characters portraited in games still are. I do believe this is however for the lack of women and the lack of observation and analysis power of the men in charge (not men in general) in writing the plots and characters.

The problem with people like Sarkeesian is that instead of having a conversation, she exaggerates and puts things in a perspective that helps no one. It creates resentment in the general community by pandering to outrage for things, that for the great part aren't even there. And the repercussions go beyond games - because of people like her many don't take the femenist struggle serious or simply resent it at well. It ends up being exceptionally detrimental, specially in a time of need, where there is a president in place in the US that repeatedly harassed women, a vice president that believes the women role on society should be constraint and a government that's been removing supports for things like family planning, or in other places in the world where women have it much harder.

I do believe character placement for minorities can help, however. Again I don't think it's sexist or racist or whatever not to do it, and it's perfectly alright to have a white male straight set of characters, specially if you already have it, but it doesn't ruin anything to have different sets. The trouble I have with it is again the lack o realism it goes sometimes in creating them. Many of the times, writers seem to fail to understand of what would actually be a motivation or how would a real person react in a certain situation - it doesn't help to accept and normalize others if you fail to portrait them
I don't think I can say it better than pustal did - but I'd also like to take a look at movements in society.

- The movement thats pushing beyond whats socially acceptable at a certain point.
- The reaction of the general public and when a movements positions become somewhat accepted.
- The commercialization of said ideals.

Its at the - when decisions are made to please a broader audience by using social progressive trends as a backdrop for being relevant, where the "not going with it" might be appropriate. :)

In Europe f.e. there was "the girl on page 3" that has been used by newly invented gossip papers as a mode to attract readers - but was "rectified" as them doing their part in the societal struggle of women to become more independent and free. The struggle was real, and a movement at the time as well - the use of barebreasted women to sell newspaper wasnt necessarily related though. ;)

On the other hand, its entirely ok, even proper - to do race or gender or secondary identity swaps - if the "archtype" demands it to be more relevant. Or at least isn't hurt by it. Thats an argument for artistic integrity. :) If the story or alegory you want to tell calls for it, or benefits from it - do it. It might shock a few people - but if they are connected to the archetypal nature of that figure, and thats still present, they'll still remain connected - and to them it might even become a "perspective swap".

If you are doing it, because it is the hip thing to do, or you are going by formula - and might have a certain quota in mind - chances are, that the archetype is hurt, people who liked it will disconnect - and resentments will arise.

Which brings us exactly to the SJW movement - and the backlash they are facing. Even in academia. :)

Now - on the movement part. There will always be gurus, and followers, there will always be gifted populists, there will always be power structures within the movement, and there will always be figureheads and also "abuse" in some sense. If and when a "thing" sticks has to do with the argument, the reactions to the argument, and timing.

The saving grace here is, that democratic societies - over the long term, seem to move forward, as a result of social struggle, they deal with it - appropriately. If too many people get caught at the fringe, the fringe moves more to the middle.

Now my comment of the day on the SJW movement:

The principle, that the more "oppressed in different aspects of you life you were - the more valuable to the movement you are" is fundamentally flawed, because it leads to people competing on grounds of "having been more oppressed". Guess what that produces...

Their modus of going after the weakest targets they could find (unprivileged "gamers", white nerds, academics that dont chant slogans...), to pronounce them the cause of their issues and lay the godmother of all guilt trips on them - hasn't been unnoticed. The comic book nerd that meets with his guy friends online - is the least of your issues in your societal struggle.

Last edited by notimp,

Xue

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Get bent.

...trying to make us accept their insanity and ruining everything...
...they've left their toxic stench on everything.
...trying everything they can to align with their demented views.

Please do try to have a mature and intelligent discussion instead of flaming and belittling others opinions.

Seriously get bent.

SimonMKWii, :lol:

A more accurate thread would be "RWNJs have always ruined everything and are now upset they don't control everything or are solely pandered to."

kevin corms

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
everything? Heres the thing with media, if they find an easy way to get more free attention they will take advantage of it. If nobody buys it then they will stop.

Last edited by kevin corms,

Drak0rex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Xue Do you prefer Hugh Jackman Wolverine, or the costume from the comics/cartoon? If you say Jackman, I'll know you're lying. One of my major oppositions as stated above, was drastic changes from the source material just for the sake of it, and I stand by it. Chill, bro lol

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
@Xue Do you prefer Hugh Jackman Wolverine, or the costume from the comics/cartoon? If you say Jackman, I'll know you're lying. One of my major oppositions as stated above, was drastic changes from the source material just for the sake of it, and I stand by it. Chill, bro lol
The tragic irony of you telling others to chill. Also Hugh > Comic, the costume did not age well and I won't even pretend it's not silly.
Seriously though, have you seen Deadpool 2 because there's a character they changed.

Reactions: Deleted User

lordkaos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
150361290624_-_Teen_Titans.jpg
Oh yeah, that's right. They're doing a live action teen titans and couldn't leave that alone either. This isn't the Starfire I grew up with

WHAT!?, Donald Trump, the people from jersey and all other orange people must be fuming right now.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
ya ya. Honestly, wasn't a big fan of how her hair looked in the movie as opposed to the comics. Also ^
But yet no outrage? I brought that up to follow up my previous statement that you are just allowing your own nostalgia to upset you. You are extremely upset over the change of a character from your childhood, but barely even phased when they did the same to another character. This isn't about SJWs or any of that shit, you are just upset that they changed a character in a manor that now effects how you relate to that character.
they shouldn't have changed her face spot to white.
To be fair, it did make the spot stand out more with either appearing as a large black eye or just a slightly lighter part of her skin. They could have done better, but it's pretty obvious that the intent was more so to make it noticable.

Last edited by The Catboy,
Reactions: Deleted User

lordkaos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you do know that she looks more arabian or latino then she does black ?
I'm not criticizing the change, probably she's the actress who fits more the rendition of the character the writers had in mind or had more chemistry with the other cast and that's the reason she got the role.

The thing I don't like when it comes to comics is that marvel and DC have so little faith in new characters and creations that they prefer making the changes to their main heroes only to revert them back a few years later.

Last edited by lordkaos,

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
But yet no outrage? I brought that up to follow up my previous statement that you are just allowing your own nostalgia to upset you. You are extremely upset over the change of a character from your childhood, but barely even phased when they did the same to another character. This isn't about SJWs or any of that shit, you are just upset that they changed a character in a manor that now effects how you relate to that character.

To be fair, it did make the spot stand out more with either appearing as a large black eye or just a slightly lighter part of her skin. They could have done better, but it's pretty obvious that the intent was more so to make it noticable.
It is funny how you try to push his buttons with every comment you make but he does not respond in that manner :D

Xue

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

I like both. Wolverine in the comics is different from Wolverine in the 90's X-Men cartoon is different from X-Men Evolution is different from Hugh Jackman. I happen to like all the portrayals for their own reasons. And they are all similar enough and true to Wolverine as a concept. To address your complaint of Samuel L. Jackson's Nick Fury, he is still acting the role right. They got an actor who fit that role. It's not like they got Reese Witherspoon playing her Legally Blonde role. And if they did make Nick Fury a woman, they'd make her badass and deep, more along the lines of Jessica Jones. And yes, I grew up with the white Nick Fury that showed up in the 90's Spider-Man cartoon. Doesn't make a difference.

Mark Hamill will always be the top Joker for me but that doesn't mean I lose my shit and froth at the mouth at Heath Ledger's quite different portrayal of the character, which was done well in its own way. I don't get frothy like that even at that one rather bad dreadlocked Joker rendition (IMO).

You can't simply claim to know I'm lying because of reasons. Do you logic?
Also... did you just assume my gender, bro? :creep:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://a.co/d/8tRQnqT