Should we lay low?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by drakorex, Apr 4, 2011.

Apr 4, 2011

Should we lay low? by drakorex at 5:33 AM (3,780 Views / 0 Likes) 22 replies

1. drakorex
    OP

Member drakorex GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    It seems that after the wii was hacked and tons of how to videos circulated the internet, that Nintendo then stuck a wrench in things and made it more difficult, then we had to find solutions to new problems. I'm wondering if we shouldn't just wait a while, or at the least, keep the future knowledge of how to hack the 3DS on the down low, until Nintendo updates it's firmware with more features. For one, I and many others of low income cannot afford a new 3DS right now, and it's my worry that by the time I can afford a new one, or a used one, that the firmware will be upgraded and unhackable. What are y'all's thoughts on this?

2. CherrySkitty

Member CherrySkitty GBAtemp Regular

Costa Rica
    As long as you don't want the 3DS to get hacked for piracy, I agree with you. I want 3DS mode to be hacked for homebrew and all that. Imagine if they don't include YouTube with the NetFront (is this its name?) browser? Some skilled devs could make a homebrew app for viewing YouTube, or even a better web browser and so on.

Yes, we should keep a low-profile and see what surprises Nintendo has for us x3

3. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    If you can't afford to replace it, don't hack it.

It's that simple.

Also, you being some random guy on a random forum, I assume with no relevant skills, have zero impact on any of this. No point even discussing.

4. aiRWaLKRe

Member aiRWaLKRe GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I don't know why but in a way I would like every 3ds that had a flashcard inserted and ran on it would have the internet usage revoked and never usable on that system again come the big update [​IMG]

5. Kevin578

Member Kevin578 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    if by "we" you mean gbatemp, then it'll already be open to the public. gbatemp is pretty much as public as it gets. very few things are actually kept a secret on the internet and unless you have axx or something, by the time you hear about it, its already open to the public.

6. Thesolcity

Member Thesolcity Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.

United States
    When has mass advertising a hack/exploit done anything besides generate a mass amount of whiners/complainers/perma-noobs and company-generated hampers to the work?
    We should take the hacking community back underground. Like the 80's & 90's were.
    'Nuff said.

7. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
    When has ANYTHING to do with ANYTHING not generate a mass amount of whiners/complainers/perma-noobs?
    As for the "company-generated hampers", it's rather moot/stupid to worry about. It's like saying "well, it'll get patched so why bother?" The why is to do it, the why is to show it can be done, to use it while it's available, to solve another problem later on.

As people who have anything more than a modicum of knowledge about any 'scene' know, and has been said fifty thousand times and always seems to be ignored, is that the majority of the hacks made and exploits found are by the people who do so for the puzzle aspect of it, for the ability to run homebrew and not piracy. Piracy is a byproduct typically created by people who pick up the work of the homebrew makers.

8. Thesolcity

United States
    Lemme rephrase that, it may or may not be patched by the company, but which will get patched quicker? The mass-advertised exploit or the little known one? Any moron can type iPhone jailbreak and come up with thousands of pages/videos/guides on how to hack any firmware and pirate right off the back. People also scam the shit out of people with fake jailbreaks/dodgy links. (Which is also irritating). Most of this shit though is spammed with comments of dumb fucks not knowing what they're doing. I have a whole lot of respect for people who actually spend their time and effort doing this shit for us for free so please forgive me if I'm irritated any moron can roll their face all over the keyboard find one of these places then spam us or the developer with "WHY EET NO WORKING?!?!?! YOU SUCK!!11"

9. MADKATZ99

Member MADKATZ99 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    Rule one about having a hacked 3DS, you don't tell anyone you have a hacked 3DS.

10. linuxares

Member linuxares GBAtemp Maniac

Sweden
    Well, since the 80's and 90's scene was also "closed" it was still leaks [​IMG]

btw. Knowledge wants to be free and I get my 3DS today. Trust me on this, the day (if) a hack comes, I will have it on my 3DS faster than you can blink!

"I" have "hacked" (more of the script-kiddy way) every device/console I got since the first xbox. So why stop now? [​IMG]

11. altorn

Member altorn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    Personally, as long as a game is worth buying, i buy it. whichever system it is. my income is not high, but not minimum. back in the SNES days, you can't afford it, don't buy it.

this is one thing hackers/teams neglect to teach the community.. they usually hack the systems so:
    1. they learn more about it.
    2. they can show the greedy companies how smart they are.
    3. they get challenged.
    4. they can share knowledge to people willing to learn with them.
    5. they can teach a lesson to the companies charging a lot for worthless games.

but nowadays, because of the internet, even kids < 10 can hack PSPs, PC games, DS, etc. and dont bother buying games anymore.

that's one of the fun parts of being a gamer, find a legal way to buy a game you've been waiting for. that a game/system is worth your $$$.

i admit i have a CycloDS for my DS, i hacked my 360, and i sometimes download ISOs from the net. but these games i hardly even play.... i see Pokemon Soul Silver, i buy it. i see crysis 2, i buy it.

if your moms buy games for you, well, what i did before was do things that please them, or get high grades at school, etc. you get rewards with that.

you see, the better technology gets, the lazier people get. and kids/teens are often "afflicted" with laziness.

Tell me if im wrong and we'll get it on.

12. Thesolcity

United States
    Using that logic technology advancement will slow to a crawl or even stop in years to come...I mean hell, most people I know only know how to use facebook and their favorite social networks on a computer. Flash, HTML, SSD, RAM, CSS, HTTP, and even fucking command prompt are a foreign language to them. Sigh....I worry....oh yes I worry....[​IMG]

13. nutella

Member nutella Low Glycemic Index

Australia
    That's not really up to us. It's up to the hackers, of which there are very few on GBAtemp.

14. pachura

Member pachura GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Heh, exactly. There are so many posts here like "OMG I'M ON THIS SUPER-L33T HAXOORZ PHORUM !!!"

15. rastsan

Member rastsan 8 baller, Death Wizard

Canada
    I've had my 3ds for a few days, already taken a look at the files on the sd card that comes with it. but strangely its the download play function - that get me thinking "exploit". With a 3ds mode and a ds mode that looks like it came straight from the ds's old firmware.

just like cellphones- new firmware official from the company ready for download. it wasn't really that hard to use the sdk from microsoft itself and the emulator for testing your software to get a copy of said firmware and change it. similar thing can be applied here.

First thing to exploit is where the 3ds downloads further "updates" from. they can't brick it if you take that function out. they can't lock it up if you download their software form somewhere else. the same thing applies to a homebrew channel for the 3ds.

If you're a serious homebrew person for the 3ds, how hard would it be to forget about copied games and just concentrate on making homebrew on your own hacked firmware. Firmware that is only there for the sole purpose of homebrew, not pirating. pirating which can then fairly easily be discouraged whatever way they like.

seems to me like nintendo missed out on a sales pitch by not allowing and encouraging (like the Iphone) easy development. Here pay us x and you now have firmware that'll allow you to test your homebrew on your nintendo system of choice, make it better sell them an official dumbed down sdk with import functions (that they can then add that into their own non-dumbed down official SDK).

Quickest way to encourage good hombrew and make it legal.

should we lay low, jeez.

16. ByteMunch

Member ByteMunch GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Rule two about having a hacked 3DS, you DON'T tell anyone you have a hacked 3DS.

17. naved.islam14

Member naved.islam14 Gbatemp's Official Dark Knight™

Sri Lanka
    I don't think we can ever lay low, because if something is posted on any website someone else will post on another website and so on...

18. P-CHYLD

Newcomer P-CHYLD Member

United States
    Silence and Secrecy is the key.
    Never let the left hand know what the right hand is doing.
    People make situations when they broadcast.
    Quiet down and all will be fine.

19. Pippin666

Member Pippin666 SSF43DE Master

Canada
    We ?? You and who ??

Pip'

20. TheDarkSeed

Member TheDarkSeed I'm a pretentious sack of shit

United States
    Even if 3ds hacking was on the DL, it would probably spread like wild fire later on. I'd say 3 weeks tops if it was done that way.