Several Homebrew Questions

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by rnw10va, Apr 15, 2017.

1. rnw10va
    OP

rnw10va Member

Newcomer
    Apr 15, 2017
    United States
    Hey guys I've never posted here before so if this is in the wrong place to post this it would be great if you directed me to the right place. But anyways I have a few homebrew questions for all of you people who know a lot about it.
    I was going to buy another 3ds and hack it just to make sure my original 3ds stayed safe and I couldn't lose the games I bought on it or anything. If instead of hacking a new one I hack the one I already have and then brick it or get banned have I then lost all the games that I purchased? How common is it to brick or get banned. I've seen threads on this before but I want to know the possibilities currently. If it breaks I can still buy a new 3ds and call Nintendo and get the games I bought back, right? Is there any reason not to hack my current 3ds?
    Also my ads is on version 11.3.0-36U. Is there any way to hack that or is it still impossible on that version.
    My second question is what emulators run on the original 3ds. If nintendo themselves couldn't get a snes emulator to run on an old 3ds then is homebrew really able to? What about gba?
    My last questions is about ds and 3ds games. I know there is freeshop and stuff for 3ds and I believe that that is still up but is there any way to load ds roms? Is there some sort of sd card reader that plays ds games like they're from the cart?
    Thanks for reading all that and hopefully answering my questions!

2. kikongokiller

kikongokiller Custom Title

Jan 12, 2017
    Australia
    Western Australia
    The chances of bricking your current O3DS are very slim if you follow the guide on https://3ds.guide/ to the letter, don't expect Nintendo to help you if you brick it though.

11.3 can get CFW now thanks to Udsploit by Smealum

3. rnw10va
    OP

rnw10va Member

Newcomer
    Apr 15, 2017
    United States
    I saw a ton of people viewing this but I feel like it needs a bump. My questions weren't really answered but I appreciate the help.

4. Arubaro

Arubaro Soulspace Guardian

Sep 4, 2015
    I'm going to try not leaving anything behind.

Nowadays, there is an almost zero chances of bricking if you follow the famous guide, carefully, step by step. You can always ask if you have any doubt.
    Regarding bans, they usually ban people that play games before they release it.
    (the most famous example was pokemon sun/moon, that were leaked)
    or use obvious cheats.

Depending on the kind of ban, you'll not be able to use some nintendo services (some of them are playing online, system transfer...)
    If you cannot system transfer, you cannot "send" you games from a 3ds to another.

If it's not banned and your 3ds got broken, you can call nintendo to unlink your account and link to a new 3ds, and then, redownload your games.
    If you are still on 11.3, you can follow the guide to totally hack your 3ds.

Homebrew emulators are not that good on o3ds. Nes emulators run more or less, but gba emulators are a no-no.
    For this, you would need to look for "vc injection" to play gba games properly.

To play ds games smoothly, you'll need a ds flashcard.
    There is an emulator and this, but the performance is not even comparable in my opinion.

Last edited by Arubaro, Apr 16, 2017
  5. rnw10va
    OP

rnw10va Member

Newcomer
    Apr 15, 2017
    United States
    Thanks. I'm not sure if I should put this in a new thread or not but aeskeydb.bin and data_input_v3.zip won't open for me. I'm supposed to move them into folders for arm9loaderhax. Thanks.

6. KunoichiZ

KunoichiZ GBAtemp Guru

Mar 16, 2012
    United States
    Literally from the Installing arm9loaderhax page:
    "To use the magnet links on this page, you will need a torrent client like Deluge." aeskeydb.bin and data_input_v3.zip are magnet links.

Quantumcat likes this.
  7. rnw10va
    OP

rnw10va Member

Newcomer
    Apr 15, 2017
    United States
    I know I was just about to update it and say that I figured it out. Thanks for the help even though you seem annoyed XD

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I have one more question. Should I back up my 3ds or whatever in case I brick it? I know there is probably a tutorial but I have no clue what it would even be called. Thanks.

8. pixelmasher

pixelmasher Gaming Gamer

Dec 12, 2016
    United States
    Near N3DS
    Yeah, people asks that question over and over and over and over and you get the idea.

If you follow the Guide, it'll have you make a backup. Keep it and the otp.bin safe. Copy it to your computer, your Gdrvie, One Drive, etc. Just don't skip anything unless it tells you to.