Seeking some help with two snes translation patches

Discussion in 'Other Consoles & Oldies' started by SysopGrace, Dec 18, 2014.

  1. SysopGrace
    OP

    SysopGrace Newbie

    Newcomer
    4
    0
    Dec 18, 2014
    United States
    The two games that I have applied the patches for are:
    Dragon Ball Z - Super Saiya Densetsu (J) (V1.1) ---- MD5 = 0fa7887f1bcde2dd207e20d782092607
    Feda - The Emblem of Justice (J) ---- MD5 = 1bfbb1c174b6e7362af678dd584ba324

    The patches themselves are located here:
    http://www.romhacking.net/translations/326/ - Dragon ball z patch very 1.01 by Klepto Software
    http://www.romhacking.net/translations/349/ - Feda patch version 1.02 by Magic Destiny and Stealth Translations

    Neither have successfully loaded up in any emulator that I have tried (higan, bsnes, snes9x). I am wondering if anyone has ever gotten these patches to load for them and what emulators/system were in use. Alternatively, is there another version of translations for these games that do exist?

    I read the rules for the forum (https://gbatemp.net/help/terms) and I am confident that this post is safe. I am not request any "patched roms" or anything like that. Just looking to discuss the translation patches for these two games.

    FYI - I have been able to load literally hundreds of other patched games on these emulators. I am currently testing every translated game that I have patches for and these are the only two for SNES that will not load at all.
     
  2. RevPokemon

    RevPokemon GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl

    Member
    4,834
    2,424
    Aug 24, 2014
    United States
    Fort Gay, West Virginia
    need to do is make sure the game and its English patch have the same file name (don't change their file extensions). They both must be unzipped and in the same folder. And that's it :) ZSNES/SNES9X/Visual Boy Advance will automatically patch them together when you load up the ROM. Here's an example:
    Sample of patching file renaming
    And here are some step by step directions to make things more clear:
    Unzip/extract the ROM from its zip file. The ROM file has either an SMC or FIG file extension (for SNES), or GBA file extension (for Game Boy Advance).
    Unzip/extract the contents of the English patch's zip file. The English patch is the file with the IPS file extension.
    Rename the English patch to match the name of the ROM. (As displayed in the above image with the big blue arrow)
    *If the file extensions are NOT showing, go here for directions on how to show them. (Not required but makes it easier to destinguish between the files)
    That's it, you're done :) Load up the game and it'll be English.
    If there's more than one patch: Read the ReadMe file contained within the English patch's zip file to learn of the purpose of each patch. But if you download the patch from my site, then look under the patch's download link for a note, it'll tell you the exact patch you need to use.
    Mac users: The Mac version of Snes9X has this auto-patching feature as well. But you can't have the patch in the same directory as the ROM, you need to move the patch over to the “IPS” folder.
     
  3. SysopGrace
    OP

    SysopGrace Newbie

    Newcomer
    4
    0
    Dec 18, 2014
    United States
    Hey RevPokemon,

    Thanks for that info. It appears you're looking at "soft" patching? Am I right?
    I am actually looking at hard patching the rom file itself.
     
  4. RevPokemon

    RevPokemon GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl

    Member
    4,834
    2,424
    Aug 24, 2014
    United States
    Fort Gay, West Virginia
    Sorry I read the Q wrong

    This will help
    http://www.snescentral.com/article.php?id=0103
     
  5. SysopGrace
    OP

    SysopGrace Newbie

    Newcomer
    4
    0
    Dec 18, 2014
    United States
    Thanks for that too!
    I read through that and while I have patched hundreds of other games without any problems so far these two are refusing to load up.

    That article did mention that some patches require that the header be removed. I'm pretty sure that the roms I was using were "headered" roms.

    Have you personally played these two games?
     
  6. RevPokemon

    RevPokemon GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl

    Member
    4,834
    2,424
    Aug 24, 2014
    United States
    Fort Gay, West Virginia
    No I haven't but I have patched other games before
     
  7. DanTheManMS

    DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

    Member
    4,330
    107
    Jun 2, 2007
    United States
    Georgia
    I have not personally tested those two games, so this advice may or may not help.

    1. Try another patching client. I use Lunar IPS as my go-to patcher.

    2. You mentioned something about the patch needing a headerless file. You can easily create one by opening up the file in a hex editor and deleting the header (256 bytes or 512 bytes, I don't remember, might vary by header type too). I favor using XVI32 as a good, lightweight, free hex editor. I resize the window horizontally so that there are exactly 16 bytes per row which makes things line up much nicer. In this configuration, it should in theory be easy to tell where the header ends and the actual file begins as long as the size of the header is a multiple of 16 bytes, which it should be.
     
  8. SysopGrace
    OP

    SysopGrace Newbie

    Newcomer
    4
    0
    Dec 18, 2014
    United States
    DanTheManMS
    thanks for that, I was about to try a new patching utility soon too
    then i realized they actually REQUIRED a header and found a tool (tush) that lets me ADD one to the rom files! Now everything works after patching!