Seeking information for a child in need

Zonark

Zonark - Noun - A God
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Backstory: A few years ago I was introduced to a family of Five in which the mother had three children in which she had, with different father figures, and her boyfriend at the time. During this time I had watched and assisted occasionally with them during the struggles that they had to endure. Due to some complications with health the mother had passed away leaving her children behind and the children were separated from each other.
I have recently been informed that one of the children still haven't really gotten much in terms of toys and such. I personally will be giving him a TV. It has been brought to my attention that he like video games so I am looking for a way to assist with getting him some. Honestly I would love to get him a Nintendo Switch but don't have really anyway to do so. I have thought about doing donations but unsure of how to achieve this goal successfully. Personally I suck at raising money for something in general especially something like this.
I am attempting to at least try to locate the best way to find the best deal on something like this to be able to get him something he can use anywhere.
I know that myself I have always been a proud supporter of Nintendo products due to the family friendly games and interactions that they bring to players. I feel like Nintendo products in general offer a great experience and would be a great starting point for someone like him.

If any of you know of a way to get a Nintendo switch or Wii U or even a Wii in a way that I could get it to him for fairly cheap. I'm not made of money personally but would like to be able to help him other than just giving him a TV I have that I don't use anymore (LCD TV). I'm honestly not sure about how to go upon this and any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
I have seen wii's being given away for free at yard sales or like $5 at thrift shops. CHeck craigslist, facebook market, and letgo. I just bought a wii (no cords) with some games and other shit for 10 a few days ago. Keep your eyes open. Since the wii is old amny people are considering them as garbage and just want to throw them away. It's really the best console for a little kid anyways.

Zonark

Zonark - Noun - A God
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have seen wii's being given away for free at yard sales or like $5 at thrift shops. CHeck craigslist, facebook market, and letgo. I just bought a wii (no cords) with some games and other shit for 10 a few days ago. Keep your eyes open. Since the wii is old amny people are considering them as garbage and just want to throw them away. It's really the best console for a little kid anyways.
Thank you for the info, was it easy to find cables for it? I'm afraid of getting one and it being damaged or having a non-working drive or something at yard sales. any Idea on where to buy parts and such? also had crappy experience with Craigslist haha.

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
Damn. Too far away from me to be able to help you much.

Either way, whenever you do give him whatever gaming system, do not just give it to him right away. Tell him that you want to just spend some time with him while you do some yard chores or run some errands. Give him a few small tasks to do, just simple shit. Then you tell him "I really appreciate your help. Here, why don't you have my gaming system that I don't play with anymore". Make him feel as if he earned it. You need to teach them young that working gets rewards.

I have raised 6 children, 3 that are not mine. That is the key to getting them to understanding that the world will not just give them things for free. Liek I said, just some simple things, like get the mail, and help clean the trash out of your car. Just a few things that will only take a couple of minutes. He will respect the gaming system so much more thinking that he actually earned. Kids these days treat things like shit that their parents buy for them because the parents do not teach responsibility. Use this opportunity to be a good role model, made him feel proud, and teach him some things about the real world.

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Definitely definitely look at thrift stores and resale shops. (Goodwill Computerworks is great, if you have one in your town) If you're lucky, you'll find a Wii for like 5-15 bucks. Savers/Salvation Army are also awesome for finding game systems on the cheap. If you need cords, Amazon tends to have them cheap, or you can get them off eBay from China for a few dollars if you're willing to wait for long shipping.

Reactions: Zonark

Zonark

Zonark - Noun - A God
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Damn. Too far away from me to be able to help you much.

Either way, whenever you do give him whatever gaming system, do not just give it to him right away. Tell him that you want to just spend some time with him while you do some yard chores or run some errands. Give him a few small tasks to do, just simple shit. Then you tell him "I really appreciate your help. Here, why don't you have my gaming system that I don't play with anymore". Make him feel as if he earned it. You need to teach them young that working gets rewards.

I have raised 6 children, 3 that are not mine. That is the key to getting them to understanding that the world will not just give them things for free. Liek I said, just some simple things, like get the mail, and help clean the trash out of your car. Just a few things that will only take a couple of minutes. He will respect the gaming system so much more thinking that he actually earned. Kids these days treat things like shit that their parents buy for them because the parents do not teach responsibility. Use this opportunity to be a good role model, made him feel proud, and teach him some things about the real world.
This is very true I will definitely consider doing this that way he appreciates it especially due to the fact that he may push back and expect everything for free honestly he really doesn’t have much in general. I’m just hoping to be able to find a way to get him something that he can do in his free time and he will hopefully look up to me

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Definitely definitely look at thrift stores and resale shops. (Goodwill Computerworks is great, if you have one in your town) If you're lucky, you'll find a Wii for like 5-15 bucks. Savers/Salvation Army are also awesome for finding game systems on the cheap. If you need cords, Amazon tends to have them cheap, or you can get them off eBay from China for a few dollars if you're willing to wait for long shipping.
About the power cords are they safe? Don’t want to cause a fire or anything. Honestly I bought a wii to give to him from a goodwill tried to fix it and ended up making it worse. I thought about building the wii into the tv I have been trying to look at tutorials online on how to build a portable wii in a way that way to fit it into a tv but believe it to be a little harder than what I’m capable of. Also a disk drive is a must because of this. The reason why I ask about the power cord is because I believe it to be one of the causes of death to this one wii. Does goodwill still do online auctions?

Last edited by Zonark,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr