SD card speed

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by svenk91, Jan 13, 2016.

1. svenk91
    OP

svenk91 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 27, 2007
    Netherlands
    Hi everyone!

Does anyone know the maximum read and write speeds of the wii u for SD cards?

From what I gathered online the internal storage the Wii U uses has a maximum specification of 52MB/s so my guess is that a SDXC card with UHS-I capabilities of around 40-50MB/s sequential reading speed should work fine for a good experience that's similar to what e-shop downloads offer. There are however cards that go higher (90-300MB/s reading) and I'm wondering if buying such a card is even worthwile, can the wii u even support it? If the wii u supports those it should decrease loading times (it won't improve game performance itself though, except maybe for a few rare exceptional cases).

I'm less concerned with writing speeds as I'll probably dump my games when I don't want to use the wii u anyway but it might be useful info for other people.

PS. USB 2.0 can technically offer games at 60MB/s but in practice usb 2.0 speed is normally halve of that, so 30MB/s SD cards should already offer experiences similar to e-shop downloads on usb :)

Nealio likes this.