Hardware SD Card performance and Speed?

g12345567

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
I am currently using the following 4GB class 4 SDHC memory card on a softmod original Wii console. Was wondering if I use a faster speed and class 10 etc card will the Wii benefit from this or is the speed of the card limited by the SD card slot on the console? ie faster read and loading times etc?

51nANV4u4JL._SY300_QL70_.jpg

Also is it ok to use MicroSD + SD adapter or is it better to use standard SD card?

Last edited by g12345567,

jeannotte

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Less powerful SD cards work just as well as class 10 SD cards.
You can use SD micro adapters or standard SD cards.

Be aware that some SD or micro SD cards will work and others will not (it all depends on the brand, model capacity ...), to know if it works, you must test to see the result.

I found this (for you to see) it is only an overview ==>http://www.wiibrew.org/wiki/SD/SDHC_Card_Compatibility_Tests

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
In my personal experience, different qualities (and read speeds) of SD Cards do make a difference, not only to load stuff, like homebrew apps on The Homebrew Channel (my previous SD card with a read speed "4" took longer each time I turned my console on than my actual one, which is a "10"), but it can also make a difference with things like emulation, not only by reading ROMS and loading them faster, but actually also while playing some games, like those on CD-based systems/addons.

For example, I had a problem with Lunar : Eternal Blue on Sega CD with my prior card, and the game would constantly get small hiccups, but with my current one, faster, that problem doesn't exist and plays smoothly.

So yeah, I would advice anyone to get a good SD card instead of a cheap one, specially now that prices for 16GB and so cards have been dropping. Hell, you can get a good 32GB SD card for less than what a mediocre hamburger on a Burger King costs, at least where I live, and that size should suffice for pretty much anything I can imagine using my Wii.

As far as brands, my Wii never had a problem with Kingston SD cards, so I usually go for those, but I'm sure other good brands will be fine too.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Proxy sites, not very effective.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    if ur on a Chromebook and cant change jack about the laptop that's what I gotta use
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    One of the sites that weren't blocked on the school's network was some file uploading sites. I would upload some games, write down the URL and take it to school one day.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I did it when the teachers werent looking ofc. I even managed to take in a USB stick that wasn't allowed.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    my school has a chrome extension called light speed filter agent and it legit blocks YouTube pfps since the file cdn(I think aka yt3.ggpht.com) is classed as mature
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    mhm
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    they have other stuff like goguardian too
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Ours mainly relied on the router, I believe.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    our school network and chrome policies block stuff too
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    alot of yt to mp3 sites are blocked by light speed for "Security"
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was easy to bypass some of the restrictions, as one of the admins left a registry key in the administrative shares drive, which allowed me to get around the blocking of some sites.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    tf does tta mean
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    yeah this is chrome os
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    cant do shit
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Wdym 'TTA'?
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    that* as in why yt to mp3 sites are blocked for security
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Remember when YouTubetoMP3 was a thing back in the 2010s?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Until YT updated some stuffs and broke the website.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    I was 2 in 2010
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Oh lol
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    This was in the Minecraft-era.
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: a