Homebrew Save data doesn't exist?

yawnmodulator

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I'm trying to edit the save data for one of my digital games but I can't find it's save file ! the game doesn't pop up in checkpoint and it can't be backed up in the system settings :( I've been playing this game for hours and I've saved it plenty of times. is there any other way i can find its save data ?

yawnmodulator

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Have you tried JKSM?
yes but it says my 3ds doesnt support it or something ?

Is the game a DSiWare or GBA VC title? Maybe the game makes its save as extdata.

it's a 3ds game, fantasy life, i downloaded the game from a website as a cia file so maybe something went wrong with the save data because of that ? but other games i've downloaded that way had save data files ?? so idk what to do from there D:

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

You may need to refresh checkpoint by holding B.
didn't work, just reloaded all of the games that were previously there

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If I'm not mistaken, Fantasy Life uses "extdata" and not "save data". JKSM definitely makes that distinction; I'm not sure about Checkpoint.

Did you download the CIA version of JKSM?

yawnmodulator

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
If I'm not mistaken, Fantasy Life uses "extdata" and not "save data". JKSM definitely makes that distinction; I'm not sure about Checkpoint.

Did you download the CIA version of JKSM?

i'm not sure, i just followed the cfw guide >.< i can't run jksm with rosalina, it says "this homebrew exploit does not have support for launching applications under target titles. Please use a different exploit."

checkpoint does. you have to press X iirc.
thank you so much !!!! this worked !! :D

Sorry one more thing, if I want to edit the save data, which one do I choose to edit? there are several save files in the folder ^^;

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
one thing I might add is that systems have what they call common files and common folders. this is how the system communicates with a game or even with itself. the save may be one of these or it may be unique, but you can bet that a file or the folder itself designates it as a save. I know like gpd, default.xex. default.xbe, etc for xbox and eboot.bin, param.sfo, prx, etc. for playstation, but I'm not too familiar with nintendo's namings other than .app, h3, tmd, tik. etc. saves have been unique on the wii u as I've been researching it but the folder itself is a common folder in usb/usr/save iirc.

yawnmodulator

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
one thing I might add is that systems have what they call common files and common folders. this is how the system communicates with a game or even with itself. the save may be one of these or it may be unique, but you can bet that a file or the folder itself designates it as a save. I know like gpd, default.xex. default.xbe, etc for xbox and eboot.bin, param.sfo, prx, etc. for playstation, but I'm not too familiar with nintendo's namings other than .app, h3, tmd, tik. etc. saves have been unique on the wii u as I've been researching it but the folder itself is a common folder in usb/usr/save iirc.

Thank you so much for all your help, I appreciate it a lot !! <3 <3 <3

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you can probably tell what's common if you compare files and folders of saves from different games. the content id tells you if something is dlc, update, game, and probably save. I know saves were named after the game's id on the wii u. the ps4 has different save names, but the common folder there is pfs and scesys.

Reactions: yawnmodulator

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i can't run jksm with rosalina, it says "this homebrew exploit does not have support for launching applications under target titles. Please use a different exploit."
That happens if you have jksm.xml in the same folder as jksm.3dsx. There is no reason you should have jksm.xml on your system, as per https://github.com/J-D-K/JKSM/releases .

Sorry one more thing, if I want to edit the save data, which one do I choose to edit? there are several save files in the folder ^^;
Isn't this in the documentation for your save editor? (Are you using someone else's editor? Or are you just hoping to figure out how to edit them yourself? Because that's not going to be easy.)

yawnmodulator

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
That happens if you have jksm.xml in the same folder as jksm.3dsx. There is no reason you should have jksm.xml on your system, as per https://github.com/J-D-K/JKSM/releases .

Isn't this in the documentation for your save editor? (Are you using someone else's editor? Or are you just hoping to figure out how to edit them yourself? Because that's not going to be easy.)

There's already a save editor I've found that I've been meaning to use (:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: It's very sad and a poignant example of why preservation is so important.