S.T.A.L.K.E.R developer GSC shut down

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by AlanJohn, Dec 9, 2011.

Dec 9, 2011
  1. AlanJohn
    OP

Member AlanJohn くたばれ

Ukraine
    [​IMG]

Ukrainian developer GSC Game World has reportedly been shut down today by its founder and CEO, Sergei Grigorovich.

Word of the studio's closure was first reported by a Ukrainian news website, but no reason for the move was given. The company was founded in 1995 and has developed a number of games, the best known of which being its most recent work, the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. first-person shooter series. It was currently in the midst of developing S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2, the fourth game in the series after Shadow of Chernobyl, Clear Sky, and Call of Pripyat.

The official GSC Twitter account originally denied the report, but that tweet has since been deleted. Rock, Paper, Shotgun was sent a "no comment" by GSC, which is hardly the sign you want from a company rumored to be shutting down.

1C Ukraine's Sergey Galenkin has blogged about the closure, 1C being one of the publishers of the original S.T.A.L.K.E.R. A Google Translate version of the blog states the shut down has been confirmed, with Galenkin attributing this to a combination of things including a failed publishing deal for a console version of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 and the difficulties in self-publishing a PC game in Eastern Europe.

For those who require further evidence of the closure, he points to the Twitter account of Joe Mullin, GSC's social media manager, who recently tweeted saying he is looking for a new job.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2's announcement came last year, at which time GSC said the series had eclipsed the four-million-units-sold mark. It also said the new game would run on a "completely new multi-platform technology."

:arrow: Source

I'm so pissed of how stupid FPS's like CoD get a loads of moneys while good games like these are getting cancelled.

2. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    Its a shame, the series was meh+ but still...you know...families to support and all.

3. DaRk_ViVi

Member DaRk_ViVi ...is everywhere!

Italy
    The same thing I thought when I read about this.
    I didn't really like Stalker, but it wasn't bad and at least it was somehow original.

1 person likes this.
  4. Depravo

Global Moderator Depravo Jaded curmudgeon

United Kingdom
    Bummer, I really enjoyed SoC. Still looking forward to playing CS and CoP when I get a PC that isn't from the stone age.

5. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    I'm pretty sure all those people will quickly find employment in larger companies, judging from the quality of their games.

6. Taellon

Member Taellon GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    That sucks. I just recently got into the Stalker series buying SoC and CoP on steam during the summer sale. I decided to start with CoP for unknown reasons and just finished that last week. It might not be the best game ever but it's still an excellent game. I plan to play SoC when the 2012 Complete Mod is released or if I ever get Crysis there's some modders porting SoC to the CryEngine 2 as a mod of Crysis. I'm still waiting on a good sale on Clear Sky and depending on when I get that I might play it before SoC as well.

Anyways, it makes me sad that this series probably won't be continued now that the developer is gone and the team will probably disband for various other companies.

7. Midna

Banned Midna Banned

Albania
    Er, um, did you just link to an image on 4chan?

2 people like this.
  8. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    That's a shame. I've never been able to play it, but I heard great things about the original STALKER game from a friend/

Here's hoping that the staff can find work at another studio.

9. DSGamer64

Member DSGamer64 Canadian, Eh?

Canada
    Odds are someone will buy the rights to the franchise and start putting out new games. I'd be willing to bet the folks at Bethesda take a stab at it.

10. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    it will just be another fallout then

11. Carnivean

Member Carnivean STARMAN

United Kingdom
    RIP Videogames.

12. chartube12

Member chartube12 GBAtemp Addict

United States
    They couldn't of been that good if they only ever made 3 games and never went anywhere with a franchised I.P.

A very quick and brief google search shows, not a single console game to their name. No wonder, they didn't do so well. Even PC centric blizzard has more than a few games, thus console gamers have at least heard of them.

13. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    [​IMG]

Because financial success must equate to quality and craft.

1 person likes this.
  14. GundamXXX

Member GundamXXX Ergo Ego

Australia
    This is why we need to ban on stupidity!

You are an idiot, and Im also guessing you are a fan of CoD and every other hyped game?

The STALKER series is the best and original IP ive seen in years and its extremely sad that they are shutting down :