Running gamecube multiISO discs. Some issues I'm having.

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by LazySolidEye, Nov 19, 2013.

1. LazySolidEye
    OP

LazySolidEye Member

Newcomer
    Nov 15, 2013
    United States
    Dreamland, Michigan
    Hi. I decided to give up on playing gamecube games off a usb drive.
    I decided to download and install neogamma (the latest version as of now).
    The program has yet to be tested with an iso yet as I have none.
    I have payed 15$ for around 50 DVD-Rs off newegg.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182242
    This is the brand.
    I was wondering if brand truly matters, and if I'd be able to put a multiISO ISO file
    on it with no problems

Yesterday, I attempted to write a dvd-r I had laying around using my (very rarely used) laptop's cd tray.
    Does the computer matter when it comes to this? I've got a nearly brand new computer that I could use instead.

2. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    Why? It's the easiest and recommended way to load GC backups.

Make sure you also have a cMIOS installed. NeoGamma cannot work with GC disc backups without it. Likewise, disc backups of any kind only work with older disc drives.

No, the brand doesn't really matter. I've used nearly every brand under the sun, and they're all basically the same. Some brands come more recommended than others (e.g. Verbatim), but it really doesn't matter.

No, the computer doesn't really matter either. A disc backup is more likely to be successful if burned at a lower speed. Back in the day when I used to use disc backups (before USB loading became the standard), I always burned my discs at the lowest possible speeds, which was around 3X.

3. LazySolidEye
    OP

LazySolidEye Member

Newcomer
    Nov 15, 2013
    United States
    Dreamland, Michigan
    Alright...now NeoGamma''s messing up on my.
    Green screen when trying to launch games.

4. AbdallahTerro

AbdallahTerro da KiNG

Jan 14, 2012
    Ideas factory :)
    google wiigator cMios v4 or wiipower cMios v10 wad file, both work very well in this case
    anyway, keep in mind that few games won't work when burned on a multiISO disc
    Edit: let me know via PM if you have difficulties finding the files
    I can't post direct links to wad files here since it's against the rules

5. LazySolidEye
    OP

LazySolidEye Member

Newcomer
    Nov 15, 2013
    United States
    Dreamland, Michigan
    Thanks for the advice.
    Will this keep the multiIso from crashing if only one of the games doesn't work?

6. AbdallahTerro

AbdallahTerro da KiNG

Jan 14, 2012
    Ideas factory :)
    yes the other games will work fine

7. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
  8. LazySolidEye
    OP

LazySolidEye Member

Newcomer
    Nov 15, 2013
    United States
    Dreamland, Michigan
    Ok, I've worked out the kinks.
    I even got that japanese game to work.
    However, I don't know the language, and can't tell if the game is telling me there's no memory card or not.
    I only have US memory cards for the wii. Will that be ok for a japanese game?

9. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    Japanese and non Japanese games use two different memory card format.
    You can't use the same one, or games will ask to format it.

10. LazySolidEye
    OP

LazySolidEye Member

Newcomer
    Nov 15, 2013
    United States
    Dreamland, Michigan
    Hm...shouldn't there be some sort of program that will prevent this?
    I would really like to get a japanese animal crossing game going.

11. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    I don't know if Animal Crossing work with NMM (No More Memory) but you could try.
    It's a replacement of one system file on your Wii which redirect saves to front SD card instead of memory card. It doesn't work with all games, so you'll have to test.

Later, NMM project (which works with burn discs) was drop in favor ISO backup loading with DIOS MIOS which include a NMM settings you can enable/disable without reinstalling system files every time.

so you have this choice :
    BC v6 + MIOS v10 = Retail/official setup.
    BC v6 + cMIOS + Wiigator backup loader + burned disc = compatible with multi-ISO discs, but saves on Memory Card
    BC (NMM) + cMIOS + Wiigator backup loader + burned disc = I don't know if it's compatible
    BC (NMM) + MIOS v10 + Retail Disc = Save on front SD

BC v6 + DIOS MIOS = Load backup ISO from USB, save on Memory card or Front SD (user setting in backup loader)
    BC v6 + DIOS MIOS Lite = Load backup ISO from SD, save on Memory Card or Front SD (user setting in backup loader)

USB is sometime troublesome to make it work correctly, but you could use SD card instead of USB.
    You can store more games on a 32GB SD card than a DVD, so you can't say that SD is too small for storing your games.
    You could have multiple SD card if you really need a lot of spaces, same as having multiple DVD : you swap them when you want to change game. so to me, it's the same problem and DML offer more features and has less lens problem (error reading disc, please reset etc.).

12. LazySolidEye
    OP

LazySolidEye Member

Newcomer
    Nov 15, 2013
    United States
    Dreamland, Michigan
    I think the first try was just a bad burn.
    Dobutsu no Mori's now working pretty perfectly so far. I just need to learn the language now.
    Thanks for all your help. Also, for neogamma and usbloader gx, are there ways to launch them from the initial wii menu without going through the homebrew channel?

13. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    Yes, you can install a Forwarder channel for each program. You can launch it instead of launching the homebrew channel.
    Forwarders are channels which will appear on your system menu, and will load the application located on your SD card.

There's one for USBLoaderGX here (install using a wad manager).
    You'll have to do a search on the forum to find one for neogamma.