[Rumour] Nvidia To Provide Single-Chips For Next DS?

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Hadrian, Oct 13, 2009.

1. Hadrian
    OP

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=376911
    http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news/2009/...intendo-ds.aspx

I do feel that Nintendo would announce a true successor to the DS next year but for the time being lets just say its a rumour.

2. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    Yay, this would rock. I love Nvidia [​IMG]

By the way... it says it'll compatible with the DS library... that means it will have two screens like the DS?

My bets are on a single big touchscreen.

3. Maikel Steneker

Member Maikel Steneker M3 Fanboy

Netherlands
    I don't see that happening.

I really like Nvidia too. I'd say this has a good chance of being the thruth. We know the DS isn't very powerful, and today's technology and some smart people make it possible for a new system to be both compact and backwards compatible. I can definately see Nintendo announcing this at TGS 2010, with a worldwide release before summer 2011.

It will be interesting to see what new things Nintendo will be adding. I expect it to look pretty much like the DSi, but it'll probably have graphics that are at least as good as the PSP and some new feature that makes people want to buy it. It will also be interesting to see if and how Nintendo supports migrating DSiWare from DSi to their new handheld.

4. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    Hopefully it can produce the graphics of the PSP. Would love to play some PSX or maybe even PS2 games on the road.
    I don't know if I'm going to buy the next DS though, school is getting more serious and life is just not letting me much time to game....

5. da_head

Member da_head A dying dream..

Canada
    hmm interesting. can't wait

6. beano311

Newcomer beano311 Advanced Member

United States
    The Tegra chipset, in it's current form in the Zune HD, is capable of playing 720p video as well as 3d graphics better than the iPod Touch/iPhone, which is definitely as good PSP graphics. Given that it'll be focused on playing games and 3D/2D rendering in the next Nintendo handheld, it'll probably be better than Wii level graphics.
    As far as playing PSX/PS2 games on it, that probably won't happen, even through homebrew emulation. The emulation itself takes much more processing power than it would seem.

7. Sterling

Member Sterling GBAtemp's Silver Hero

United States
    This is great! I have had every revision of the nintendo handhelds over the years, and have loved everyone of them [​IMG] I will buy this one too [​IMG]

8. Hop2089

Member Hop2089 Cute>Hot

United States
    Why can't Nintendo just go both cart and Digital Distribution for their DS games? It wouldn't be that hard for them to do if they simplified the system and they could just up the AP protection.

9. soulx

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    If this is true, I'll freak out. I purchased a DSi this YEAR! I wouldn't want a system that gets phased out by a new in 1 1/2 years. Then again, nobody forced me to purchase it.

10. Rock Raiyu

Member Rock Raiyu Clock Up

United States
    Damn. I hope this is true. If it's true, that PS3 just may have to wait a while!

11. blackdragonbaham

Member blackdragonbaham GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Germany
    hopefully it is true, this would be a great footstep ahead for nintendo, and perhaps an argument for more people to be interested in a nintendo handheld; but also there would be comin' bad times up for sony; can't wait for this rumour to be officially confirmed

12. benjaminlibl

Member benjaminlibl Funky Member

Singapore
    Whoa, this seems epic! Can't wait.

13. zeromac

Member zeromac Finally reached 1000 posts EXACTLY

Australia
    So so true i don't actually think ill end up buying ANY new DS whatever, i might just grab a psp and get all its functions

14. zuron7

Member zuron7 RBYG

India
    This is going to rock.
    I was looking to update to the DSi might as well wait.

15. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    Although I'm excited about the next handheld, I can't help but think "liek OMG where did the time go."

16. RupeeClock

Member RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

United Kingdom
    I don't get it, ATI did the graphics for the Gamecube and the Wii, so why Nvidia in this rumour?

17. Zalda

Member Zalda GBAtemp Fan

Denmark
    but if it can produce graphics as good as the Wii's, then why couldn't it be able to emulate PSX games?
    the wii can do it, the psp can do it, why not this one?

18. psycoblaster

Member psycoblaster Divine

Korea, South
    Some thoughts on this:
    Even if the next model of Nintendo's handheld uses a Nvidia Tegra platform or any other modification of it, I doubt the graphics will still be comparable to the PSP. The PSP, which surely has better resolution for its screen size than that of a DS (especially the DSi), also renders more than 30 million polygons per second.
    It's true that the Tegra will enable better graphics acceleration, but I bet it still won't be able to reach the PSP's graphics. However, we also need to think about another problem.
    The DSi's screen is larger than the lite. Battery consumption increases, but the device's batteries are getting worse. From 1000mAh (which is still too low when considered to other devices), the DSi's battery is only 840mAh.
    If the next device's battery still remains in this range, then we won't see much of a good battery life. At least a 1200mAh battery should be included for a decent performance.

Also, I'm sure that the Tegra used in the next device will be somewhat underclocked. That may be another reason why we won't see the best performance.
    If the next device is actually Tegra equipped, we won't see a stunning performance, but we finally may be able to see a "mature" device from Nintendo.

My hope list:
    Larger RAM
    A resolution that actually makes good use of the screen size
    A usable media player
    Better battery (840 mAh is really a bad move.)
    Good use of Tegra's flash acceleration!!!

19. Hadrian
    OP

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    I know, its hard to think that we only got the DS five years ago.

I thought there would be a new DS this year actually what with Nintendo not really doing many first party DS games, I thought their teams might have been working on something new. They're hardly doing that much on the Wii either. They've got like eight first party studios and there doesn't seem to be that much coming apart from Zelda: Spirit Tracks which is probably finished now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_Ente...and_Development

^ Most of their stuff is nearly done so most all be working on unannounced games, I guess EAD Software Group No. 3 is doing the next Wii Zelda right now. Even the second party ones don't seem to have much apart from localising existing Japanese games.

They're cooking something at Nintendo, 2010 could be a major year...or it could have Wii Music 2 as the biggest title...well ok Mario Galaxy 2 will be and there is Metroid: Other M even though that one is mainly by a 3rd party team.

20. zuron7

Member zuron7 RBYG

India
    only thing
    I'm hyper.