Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
qwertymodo said:
tueidj said:
sorgelig said:
Only lazy user today will r-a-p-e wii's DVD more and more instead to load it from USB/SD
smile.gif
So copy all the extracted files onto your USB/SD and run it with Riivolution. It's just like running it with sneek.

lol, never thought of doing that...

*dumps a game to PC HD to load the entire game via RiiFS... just for kicks
yaywii.gif

I actually think I asked about that before in IRC
tongue.gif

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think we all agree, with the average person's demands now a days, a riivolution type program that will work with back up loaders will totally be with out a doubt superior to what riivolution is today. Mainly because the majority of the wii homebrew users uses some type of back up loader regardless of legality of it.

Instead of trying to argue to make it open source or trying to get riivolution to work with other settings, get a drive doctor or something and examine its behavior in the RAM like a normal person. Try to replicate it, get a team of people, and build something that is completely superior to riivolution. It would be up to the creators of riivolution to enable it to work with back ups, or have a completely inferior program.

When my girlfriend wants to know something so bad, it's only an incentive to not tell her. I can imagine a team of people sticking towards a central belief and all of this bickering is only strengthening the riivolution team.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Zetta_x said:
I think we all agree, with the average person's demands now a days, a riivolution type program that will work with back up loaders will totally be with out a doubt superior to what riivolution is today. Mainly because the majority of the wii homebrew users uses some type of back up loader regardless of legality of it.

Instead of trying to argue to make it open source or trying to get riivolution to work with other settings, get a drive doctor or something and examine its behavior in the RAM like a normal person. Try to replicate it, get a team of people, and build something that is completely superior to riivolution. It would be up to the creators of riivolution to enable it to work with back ups, or have a completely inferior program.

When my girlfriend wants to know something so bad, it's only an incentive to not tell her. I can imagine a team of people sticking towards a central belief and all of this bickering is only strengthening the riivolution team.

No, we don't all agree that. In fact, a small minority think that. Don't be so presumptuous.

AerialX

Certified Sociopath
Trophies
Website
aaronlindsay.com
XP
Country
Canada
qwertymodo said:
*dumps a game to PC HD to load the entire game via RiiFS... just for kicks
yaywii.gif

Heh, games surprisingly will run quite playable over wifi.

QUOTE(SifJar @ Nov 24 2010, 01:33 PM) Can Riivolution add files, or just replace them? (sorry for off-topic, just wondering)
It can add them.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sifjar, you took it out of context. I didn't say we all agree for a riivolution that works with back up loaders. I meant to say, we all agree that the average person on the temp would want a riivolution type program that works with back up loaders.

Here is the breakdown. Riivolution requires a homebrew channel or some homebrew loader. People who are exposed to the homebrew channel are usually exposed in some way to back up loaders. A large majority of people who use the homebrew channel have been exposed in some way of a back up loader (via harddrive, disks, who cares). It only makes common sense that there are more people who use riivolution would rather have it working for back ups vs disks. Aside from the blatant piracy back ups offer, there are more advantages to running things off of harddrives. So we can say harddrive loading offers advantages to disk loading when we don't look at costs (so we are being conservative with pirates).

From that, we can expect the average person would rather have a riivolution that works with back ups vs disks. Which is why I think you took what I said out of context because you are trying to argue only a few people would rather have riivolution that works with backups vs disks.

Szalkow

RawkSD Cheerleader
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Zetta_x said:
Here is the breakdown. Riivolution requires a homebrew channel or some homebrew loader
Isn't one of Riivolution's biggest selling points the fact that it can be installed without any other homebrew whatsoever? Bannerbomb it once and you've got Riivolution.

Also, the number of people who have purchased any given game likely FAR outnumber those who pirate it, making pirates a whiny minority. It doesn't matter anyway, since Riivolution works on any Wii with pretty much any setup.

SFenton

ಠ_ಠ
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Szalkow said:
Zetta_x said:
Here is the breakdown. Riivolution requires a homebrew channel or some homebrew loader
Isn't one of Riivolution's biggest selling points the fact that it can be installed without any other homebrew whatsoever? Bannerbomb it once and you've got Riivolution.

Also, the number of people who have purchased any given game likely FAR outnumber those who pirate it, making pirates a whiny minority. It doesn't matter anyway, since Riivolution works on any Wii with pretty much any setup.

Hate to be the negative nancy, but House of the Dead: Overkill.
tongue.gif
Agree in pretty much every other circumstance, though.

WiiUBricker

News Police
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Szalkow said:
Zetta_x said:

The majority of people who purchase games dont want to have anything to do with homebrew, console hacking etc. because they think homebrew is illegal and console hacking can damage their Wii. Trust me, I know a bunch of people who refuse to hack their Wiis or run any homebrew.

I get the intention of the Riivolution guys to make a cool application just for 'honest' people/non-pirates who purchase any game they want to play, but dont make a mistake about it, how much of those 'honest' people/non-pirates know about the existence of the Fatal Frame 4 patch or the upcoming translation patch for Tales of Graces?

And most of those people, who run coincidentaly into these patches and actually get interested about that stuff, will install sooner or later the Homebrew Channel and will meet consequently the evil cIOS demon and get turned into pirates.

So Im asking you, is Riivolution a tool that increase the number of future pirates?I say maybe. But it's clearly not the right way to withhold Riivolution for people that use backup loaders, period.

Szalkow

RawkSD Cheerleader
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm apparently missing the quantum leap of logic where a safe, accessible, and legal program became a tool of evil. I also missed the part in the readme that said pirates weren't allowed to use it - nothing's stopping you.

WiiUBricker

News Police
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Szalkow said:
I'm apparently missing the quantum leap of logic where a safe, accessible, and legal program became a tool of evil. I also missed the part in the readme that said pirates weren't allowed to use it - nothing's stopping you.
You should read my post again carefully and think before making a comment.

First, I didnt say Riivolution is or became a tool of evil. Where the hell did you get that from? The evil part reffered to the cIOS part.

QUOTE...meet consequently the evil cIOS demon...

And I was asking a question whether Riivolution might increase the future number of pirates or not. I said maybe.

Also, I didnt say pirates werent allowed to use riivolution, I said the Riivolution team dont want people to use their application with backups. See the difference?

Wiisel

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
having observed the wode forums for a long time many of the users are in a fear of homebrew bricking their wii's and genuinely backup games they own because they have young disc destroying kids and grandchildren. This is not to say the rest of the users arnt thieving scoundrels as that would be a blatant lie but to point out there are people who genuinly use backups for a moral reason. I discussed this with some the riivo lads and their argument that any that have the original discs and want to use riivolution can and I have to agree they arn't stopping anyone from enjoying it that deserves it either.

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
WiiBricker said:
And I was asking a question whether Riivolution might increase the future number of pirates or not. I said maybe.

I don't think so. Software piracy isn't new and has always been very popular. From copying tapes and passing them around to P2P. There always used to be at least 1 stall at any car boot sale, PD or computing fare selling them. The only difference is the internet has made it more visible and a lot more people have the equipment to use it on. It wouldn't surprise me if the percentages have stayed pretty constant.

megazig

SU
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd say there's a higher % of people turned to idiots by reading WiiBricker's posts than people turned pirates by Riivolution.

though, I have as much proof as WiiBricker does with his allegations

edit: typo. it's happening already

WiiUBricker

News Police
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
cwstjdenobs said:
WiiBricker said:

I don't think so. Software piracy isn't new and has always been very popular. From copying tapes and passing them around to P2P. There always used to be at least 1 stall at any car boot sale, PD or computing fare selling them. The only difference is the internet has made it more visible and a lot more people have the equipment to use it on. It wouldn't surprise me if the percentages have stayed pretty constant.

Let me explain myself a bit more in detail to make my point clear. As we now there are a lot of people in the world, that do not know anything about console hacking and/or whether their game console can be hacked. These people are the 'normal' people.

Someday they see in the media that an awesome game was released in Japan that they would love to play, but their console is region locked.
By coincident, they read someday that someone made a translation of their desired game, thus they check it out and learn, that in order to use the translation patch, you have to hack your console anyway (with bannerbomb and or other exploits) and run it with Riivolution. Once they read about exploits, homebrew and stuff their interest increase and they would invest more time to learn more about that stuff. And sooner or later they will meet bootmii.org and the hackmii installer, install the homebrew channel, check out some applications and so on. And they would definitely read about cIOS and that you can play backups with it. Since the majority of people arent rich or 'honest' , they will of course check cIOS and USB loaders out and yes, they will pirate games, especially if they discover a forum like gbatemp on the internet. That's the truth.

All that might be due to the discovery of a translation patch and Riivolution.

megazig

SU
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
interesting theory. though, your brain missed a few points.

wiibrew.org doesn't support cIOS. so, they wouldn't have to run into it.
Riivolution info is on wiibrew.org and thus they could see wiibrew and hackmii and bootmii and still never get tainted by the dispicable few who taint this place.

so.... long story short, no, there's no reason with the proper course of events that Riivolution makes more pirates. pirates will see Riivolution and want to use it, but that doesn't change that they were pirates to start.

WiiUBricker

News Police
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
megazig said:
interesting theory. though, your brain missed a few points.

wiibrew.org doesn't support cIOS. so, they wouldn't have to run into it.
Riivolution info is on wiibrew.org and thus they could see wiibrew and hackmii and bootmii and still never get tainted by the dispicable few who taint this place.

so.... long story short, no, there's no reason with the proper course of events that Riivolution makes more pirates. pirates will see Riivolution and want to use it, but that doesn't change that they were pirates to start.

Honestly, I thought you are a smart guy. You should use more common sense in this case. You think people would not hear about cIOS if wiibrew does not support it? There are more sites about homebrew and wiibrew.org by far doesnt contain all homebrew apps available on the internet. Search 'wii homebrew' on google and you will find out, that there are so many other sites.

People arent that 'clean' as you think or wish, just get it already.

SFenton

ಠ_ಠ
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
How many people do you REALLY think are going to invest themselves in the amount of research necessary to get a Wii running how we have it running?

Your arguments seem to switch every other day. Pick one and stick with it, it might develop. Until then, your own argumental flaws are readily apparant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Ending to the fallout series was lame could've gave us a bit more