Homebrew Official Retroarch WiiU (wip.)

Einstone

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Hello,

I have installed retroarch on my Wii U and noticed than the analog don't work for player 2, but work perfectly on player 1.... does anyone else had this issue?

Just a note, I installed crazymac pack, with the retroarch version that is included in the pack.

Thank you

Last edited by Einstone,

Willicious

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone else get "error saving remap file" everytime when trying to save Core Remaps in Retroarch 1.10.2?

I'm having this same issue. Have to keep mapping the pro ontroller to port 1 every time I load up a game. Has anyone found a fix for this issue on Wii U?

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having this same issue. Have to keep mapping the pro ontroller to port 1 every time I load up a game. Has anyone found a fix for this issue on Wii U?
It maybe because the folder for remaps isnt getting created.. try making a new folder called remaps in sd:/retroarch/config/ if it isnt in there already, then try to save remap again.. and hope :P

Willicious

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It maybe because the folder for remaps isnt getting created.. try making a new folder called remaps in sd:/retroarch/config/ if it isnt in there already, then try to save remap again.. and hope :P

Yeah, I tried exactly this. Tried creating a different folder called "remapping", that didn't work. Changed it back to "remaps", that didn't work. Baffling, tbh.

Has anyone else had this issue with retroarch?

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah, I tried exactly this. Tried creating a different folder called "remapping", that didn't work. Changed it back to "remaps", that didn't work. Baffling, tbh.

Has anyone else had this issue with retroarch?
Have you tried manually changing the remap path in the directory settings?

Willicious

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Have you tried manually changing the remap path in the directory settings?

Yes. I created a new folder called "remappings" and changed the Input Remaps path to that in Directory settings. It didnt work. I then tried changing it back to "remaps", and this didn't work either.

Tbh all I want to do is control retro-arch using the pro controller instead of the gamepad. Maybe I should use HID-to-VPAD to set up gamepad emulation, but this seems unnecessarily fiddly and would just be another thing to potentially go wrong.

Last edited by Willicious,

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yes. I created a new folder called "remappings" and changed the Input Remaps path to that in Directory settings. It didnt work. I then tried changing it back to "remaps", and this didn't work either

Tbh all I want to do is control retro-arch using the pro controller instead of the gamepad. Maybe I should use HID-to-VPAD to set up gamepad emulation, but this seems unnecessarily fiddly and would just be another thing to potentially go wrong.
I'm using Switch Pro Controller to use RA fine with Bloopair,
Setup your Pro Controller as player 2, in settings/input, once thats done back out to the main menu and save configuration.
Quit out of Retroarch, and turn off your WiiU Gamepad .
(I have to take the WiiU Gamepad out of range of the console, then turn off the WiiU Gamepad.)
Then open RA and you should be able to use your Pro Controller :)

Willicious

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm using Switch Pro Controller to use RA fine with Bloopair,
Setup your Pro Controller as player 2, in settings/input, once thats done back out to the main menu and save configuration.
Quit out of Retroarch, and turn off your WiiU Gamepad .
(I have to take the WiiU Gamepad out of range of the console, then turn off the WiiU Gamepad.)
Then open RA and you should be able to use your Pro Controller :)

Great, thanks! This is a decent enough workaround, with the the added benefit that RA now listens to the Pro Controller's Home button.

However, it doesn't solve the "Error saving remap file" issue, which I may need for other things. I'll still hunt around for a solution to this (and, if anyone has one in the meantime, please do share!).

I do wonder though... can the Wii U be used without the Gamepad in general? Something else to look into...

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Great, thanks! This is a decent enough workaround, with the the added benefit that RA now listens to the Pro Controller's Home button.

However, it doesn't solve the "Error saving remap file" issue, which I may need for other things. I'll still hunt around for a solution to this (and, if anyone has one in the meantime, please do share!).

I do wonder though... can the Wii U be used without the Gamepad in general? Something else to look into...
No probs happy to help :) you can also set a Menu Combo bind to something like L3 + R3 so you can access the RA Menu with any Controller ;)

I guess the remap issue is something all wiiu users have, you may want to make an issue in the RA github page.
https://github.com/libretro/RetroArch

The WiiU Gamepad is needed to navigate the WiiU's Settings.

Willicious

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No probs happy to help :) you can also set a Menu Combo bind to something like L3 + R3 so you can access the RA Menu with any Controller ;)

Brilliant! Things are looking up :toot:

I guess the remap issue is something all wiiu users have, you may want to make an issue in the RA github page.
https://github.com/libretro/RetroArch

I've done this. Hopefully a fix will be applied, but if not then at least there are several workarounds.

Reactions: ploggy

wwhtvd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brilliant! Things are looking up :toot:

I've done this. Hopefully a fix will be applied, but if not then at least there are several workarounds.
Are there any folders inside your remaps folder? Otherwise create folders with the core names. That's how I solved it. I can take a screenshot of my sd when I get home. Retroarch needs something to save the remap files for each core into, and obviously Retroarch should create those folders automatically when you save a remap but for some reason on the Wii U version it doesn't so you have to create them manually for now.

Willicious

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Are there any folders inside your remaps folder? Otherwise create folders with the core names. That's how I solved it

Great! This worked, thanks :) that will definitely save a lot of messing about, and I can make custom controller mappings for games now. Much appreciated!

Do you have game thumbnails working? That and creating playlists are pretty much the only things I still need a bit of help with.

Reactions: wwhtvd

wwhtvd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Great! This worked, thanks :) that will definitely save a lot of messing about, and I can make custom controller mappings for games now. Much appreciated!

Do you have game thumbnails working? That and creating playlists are pretty much the only things I still need a bit of help with.
Glad to hear :) yes

Reactions: ploggy

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

So it was about folder creation :P
The devs know about the issue, its just a matter of letting them look into it :)

As for Thumbnails for a workaround you need to make the required folders... eg for snes:
Create a Thumbnails folder in sd:/retroarch/cores.. in Thumbnails create a folder called Nintendo - Super Nintendo Entertainment System and in that folder create folders called Named_Boxarts, Named_Snaps and Named_Titles (probably only need the Named_Boxarts but to be safe I put them all in there) :P

Bit of a pain but it works for now until its fixed ;)

Willicious

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
As for Thumbnails for a workaround you need to make the required folders... eg for snes:
Create a Thumbnails folder in sd:/retroarch/cores.. in Thumbnails create a folder called Nintendo - Super Nintendo Entertainment System and in that folder create folders called Named_Boxarts, Named_Snaps and Named_Titles

Thanks for the info. I tried this though and it didn't work. I followerd exactly what you've written here. Some questions so I can try to figure out what's going wrong:

1 So, the path needs to be sd:/retroarch/cores/thumbnails/Nameofcore/*3 folders inside*?

2 Does the Nameofcore need to match the core specified for the game file? So, for example I have Street Fighter II Turbo for SNES which uses the core Nintendo - SNES / SFC (Snes9x 2010), so should the path for this be sd:/retroarch/cores/thumbnails/Nintendo - SNES / SFC (Snes9x 2010)/*3 folders inside*?

3 Do I need to manually set the above path in Settings/Directory?

4 How do you actually apply the thumbnails to the game files? The Download Thumbnails button doesn't seem to do anything, even though I get a check mark when I do this, as if it's succesfully downloaded. There doesn't seem to be any other way to link up thumbnails

Sorry for all the questions but it takes a while to test anything because of the back-and-forth between PC and WiiU, so I want to make sure I've fully understood what I need to do before I go ahead and take the SD card out.

Your help is much appreciated!

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the info. I tried this though and it didn't work. I followerd exactly what you've written here. Some questions so I can try to figure out what's going wrong:

1 So, the path needs to be sd:/retroarch/cores/thumbnails/Nameofcore/*3 folders inside*?

2 Does the Nameofcore need to match the core specified for the game file? So, for example I have Street Fighter II Turbo for SNES which uses the core Nintendo - SNES / SFC (Snes9x 2010), so should the path for this be sd:/retroarch/cores/thumbnails/Nintendo - SNES / SFC (Snes9x 2010)/*3 folders inside*?

3 Do I need to manually set the above path in Settings/Directory?

4 How do you actually apply the thumbnails to the game files? The Download Thumbnails button doesn't seem to do anything, even though I get a check mark when I do this, as if it's succesfully downloaded. There doesn't seem to be any other way to link up thumbnails

Sorry for all the questions but it takes a while to test anything because of the back-and-forth between PC and WiiU, so I want to make sure I've fully understood what I need to do before I go ahead and take the SD card out.

Your help is much appreciated!
1. Yes
2. the name of core is the name selected when making a playlist for that particular romset, eg snes
3. I don't think so but make sure just in case.
4. Thumbnails only show if you have first made a playlist

If you haven't made a playlist before you do that by going to:
Import Content, Manual Scan..
Then goto content Directory, then browse to you romset folder you want.. eg snes roms, then choose <Scan This Directory>
Then goto System Name (this is what the nameofcore folder will be.. eg Nintendo - Super Nintendo Entertainment System)
Then goto Select Default Core.. eg Nintendo - SNES / SFC (Snes9x -Current)
Select Scan Inside Archives if your roms are zipped.
Then goto Start Scan, it should be pretty quick.

Once its finished go back to the Main Menu and you should see your Playlist, if your thumbnail folder
is in SD:/retroarch/cores/thumbnails/Nintendo - Super Nintendo Entertainment System/*3foldernames
You should start seeing boxart in the Playlists :)

Last edited by ploggy,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
does anyone know if there's a wiiurpxtool for linux? I was unable to find one, and trying to build it calls all these files from the windows sdk, so that's not going to work.

Willicious

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Once its finished go back to the Main Menu and you should see your Playlist, if your thumbnail folder
is in SD:/retroarch/cores/thumbnails/Nintendo - Super Nintendo Entertainment System/*3foldernames
You should start seeing boxart in the Playlists :)

YES! Thank you, following your guide worked!

The only thing I'd add is that images need to be in PNG format and in the correct folder depending on whether thumbs are set to box art, screenshots or title screen image (which I think is configured somewhere in settings). Just to be sure, I put the same image into each folder just in case! :lol:

Retroarch is now feeling much more usable, and I'm definitely getting used to the interface now. I've scaled up the menu text so it's more readable as well. Getting there bit by bit!

Reactions: Clutz450 and ploggy

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
YES! Thank you, following your guide worked!

The only thing I'd add is that images need to be in PNG format and in the correct folder depending on whether thumbs are set to box art, screenshots or title screen image (which I think is configured somewhere in settings). Just to be sure, I put the same image into each folder just in case! :lol:

Retroarch is now feeling much more usable, and I'm definitely getting used to the interface now. I've scaled up the menu text so it's more readable as well. Getting there bit by bit!
I glad your getting used to it, it's true Retroarch has a bit of a learning curve but it is the best once you get use to it.
You can also increase the size of the Thumbnails scale in the same settings ;)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...