Homebrew Official Retroarch WiiU (wip.)

Avsynthe

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi Guys

I'm having an issue with the unchanging, white theme as well. I've read to ensure the contents of my assets folder are also in the media folder, however I have no Assets folder

I assumed I was meant to download assets through the online updater, so I did that. However upon completing downloading "assets.zip" there is nothing new on my SD at all

Same with anything I've tried downloading through the online updater including thumbnails and cheats.

Any tips?

Additionally, is there any way to get some GBC games to register that they're being played on a GBA? Some games like Oracle of Seasons have extra features this way. I suppose I could cheat them in

Thanks in advance

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

I'm having an issue with the unchanging, white theme as well. I've read to ensure the contents of my assets folder are also in the media folder, however I have no Assets folder

I assumed I was meant to download assets through the online updater, so I did that. However upon completing downloading "assets.zip" there is nothing new on my SD at all

Same with anything I've tried downloading through the online updater including thumbnails and cheats.

Any tips?

Additionally, is there any way to get some GBC games to register that they're being played on a GBA? Some games like Oracle of Seasons have extra features this way. I suppose I could cheat them in

Thanks in advance
get the asset folder from here https://github.com/libretro/retroarch-assets and place it in media

As for gbc games in gba mode use the gamebatte core and start your game go into the quick menu then select options then select emulated hardware and change it to gba restart your game and it will work in gba mode.

Avsynthe

Trophies
XP
Country
Awesome!

Thanks for the help man.

Finally, in that link in the same section as the assets zip, there are 2 database zips. Is that what is going to allow me to scan for files? If so, what is the correct directory for them?

AmandaRose

Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Awesome!

Thanks for the help man.

Finally, in that link in the same section as the assets zip, there are 2 database zips. Is that what is going to allow me to scan for files? If so, what is the correct directory for them?
That question I will need to pass to someone else to answer as I have not looked into how to scan files myself yet.

cucholix

00000780 00000438
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Retroarch directories are not hardcoded, check in settings directory and you will see all the default ones, however it's possible create your own paths.

Also it's recomendable scan your games using the PC build, or some tool like playlist buddy.

Antonio Soler

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I got HBL running! Took quite a bit of hacking about with CFWs and loaders and things, but I eventually got wupserver running and changed meta.xml to let me run Haxchi without a Gamepad. Now I just have to remember where I was at... Let me know if I've missed anything:
  • blueMSX/Stella were both working fine (was the ELF ok?) Pushed that to github
  • Dosbox and VICE needed some libc changes that broke the ELF versions (blackscreen? Hoping for a DSI or smth)
  • CrocoDS didn't work at all for unknown reasons
  • Hatari had a lot of platform-specific code that I put off for later
I swear I forgot several of those... Hrm. Anyway, I guess I'll take a peek at Dosbox.

EDIT: Dosbox will have to stay as one of those RPX-only cores by the looks of it. The reasons are complicated, but the basic issue is that the core is actually too big for the HBL memory area once it's loaded, but is fine when it hasn't been loaded. I submitted a bug report (tech details in there) in the hope that @dimok will fix it up so that HBL gives its traditional "not enough memory" error instead of locking up the console when this happens.
Is it possible to compile the fMSX core for WiiU? I believe it has a better support for mapping some keyboard keys to the gamepad.

TLPD-AVW

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Did anyone have success with ZX81 games? I tried to launch 3D Monster Maze (since that's the only ZX81 game I have ever heard of) only to encounter rapid screen flashing with endless black bars scrolling up. I'm not very well versed in ancient British microcomputers - is this emulator messing up or that's just one of those ultra-long cassette tape loading processes?

AmandaRose

Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Did anyone have success with ZX81 games? I tried to launch 3D Monster Maze (since that's the only ZX81 game I have ever heard of) only to encounter rapid screen flashing with endless black bars scrolling up. I'm not very well versed in ancient British microcomputers - is this emulator messing up or that's just one of those ultra-long cassette tape loading processes?
Yep that sounds like how the games used to look when loading but give me a few mins to download and try it out to be certain.

Edit nope that's note how the loading should look the emulator does not work.

Last edited by AmandaRose,
Reactions: lordelan

TLPD-AVW

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Yeah, I tried again - the flashing stopped after several minutes, but now I'm stuck with a white screen. I was initially confused by the black bars because the emulator has a fast loading option turned on by default, but it seems that the emulator is not working anyway.

Not a big loss anyway, unless somebody is really interested in primordial days of British game developing scene.

AmandaRose

Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah, I tried again - the flashing stopped after several minutes, but now I'm stuck with a white screen. I was initially confused by the black bars because the emulator has a fast loading option turned on by default, but it seems that the emulator is not working anyway.

Not a big loss anyway, unless somebody is really interested in primordial days of British game developing scene.
Yep I tried to change some core settings but no matter what I change the system throws out a dsi error.

And I grew up with a zx 81 and zx spectrum 48k so I am very interested in having both emus work lol

Trophies
Website
heyquark.com
XP
Country
Australia
Turns out I already had that optimisation turned on without realising it. The ELF is still huge - RDOSGFXbuffer, paging and scalerSourceCache appear to be the worst .bss offenders (for any emulator devs out there; maybe we could move those to mallocs?)

Anyway! I compiled it all again against the latest RetroArch code so we can check it works with all the new features. I'm away from home atm, if someone can try this RPX to make sure it doesn't immediately crash that'd be awesome. If she works, I'll push it up to Git.

AmandaRose

Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Turns out I already had that optimisation turned on without realising it. The ELF is still huge - RDOSGFXbuffer, paging and scalerSourceCache appear to be the worst .bss offenders (for any emulator devs out there; maybe we could move those to mallocs?)

Anyway! I compiled it all again against the latest RetroArch code so we can check it works with all the new features. I'm away from home atm, if someone can try this RPX to make sure it doesn't immediately crash that'd be awesome. If she works, I'll push it up to Git.
Just tried it with the old dos game zool good news the game loads bad news it loads to a screen that says press any key to continue but pressing any key on the gamepad nothing happens lol may be game specific issue will report back once downloaded some more dos games to try.

Edit same result with turrican it loaded to menu screen but no keys worked mabye something I'm doing wrong don't know never used dosbox before lol

cucholix

00000780 00000438
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Just tried it with the old dos game zool good news the game loads bad news it loads to a screen that says press any key to continue but pressing any key on the gamepad nothing happens lol may be game specific issue will report back once downloaded some more dos games to try.

Edit same result with turrican it loaded to menu screen but no keys worked mabye something I'm doing wrong don't know never used dosbox before lol
It seems keyboard is not enabled, at least it load the DOS core and have all user control feature, but couldn't test much because the keyboard.

RA recognize my keyboard as a HID controller so there's no compatibility problem.

Last edited by cucholix,

Freezing Alone

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey guys, I'm sorry that this has been asked before - I tried to do my research before posting, but nothing is working. I've downloaded both the RPX and non-RPX builds from the retroarch site and I can't get either of them to work. The non-RPX build just gives me a black screen, and the RPX build goes to a white screen with white text. I've tried following the links to download an assets folder to fix this, but I can't find it anywhere, and now my system is giving me a system memory error when trying to launch the RPX build. None of this was an issue with v1.5.0.

My current setup is running haxchi, then loading into the homebrew channel, then loading retroarch. I'm placing the folders correctly on my SD card (retroarch root folder & wii u > apps folder). I don't really know what else to do as it seems to be working great for everyone else. Any tips that you guys can throw my way?

Trophies
Website
heyquark.com
XP
Country
Australia
I sunk some time into VICE x64, and managed to get it... working? Technically? See for yourself. Twinaphex just merged it without saying a word (as usual) so I guess it's fine? Make sure you have the framerate display turned on while using this core - it doesn't crash, but it gets slow. This is really as far as I can take this one without taking the time to learn all the internals of the emulator (for a system I really know nothing about) so I guess it'll have to stay this way. Same problem as DOSBox in regards to the ELF version.

Speaking of, DOSBox got merged! That's another one to cross off the list, then. Keyboard support is still notably broken; though. Something in the frontend? @Maschell; it may be you after all; since it seems the keyboard logs a device attach with ControllerPatcherHID.

cucholix

00000780 00000438
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Speaking of, DOSBox got merged! That's another one to cross off the list, then. Keyboard support is still notably broken; though. Something in the frontend? @Maschell; it may be you after all; since it seems the keyboard logs a device attach with ControllerPatcherHID.
Keyboard works fine during menu navigation and gameplay, it's just DOSbox that doesn't seem to recieve any input. I'm just testing by starting DOSbox core alone (no loading any content) though, so maybe that's the problem (?).

AmandaRose

Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@QuarkTheAwesome sorry mate 160-2203 error when loading a .tap or a .d64 file for the C64 core :(
Works perfectly fine for me apart from terrible frame rates. Im playing impossible mission right now.

Reactions: VinsCool

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Works perfectly fine for me apart from terrible frame rates. Im playing impossible mission right now.
Really?! what's the file extension? .tap? I tried loading Gianna Sisters (tap) and Bruce lee (d64) (awesome game btw) and both crapped out...
I try again..

Thanks.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.