Retroarch Emulation Thread (Nightly Builds Included)

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Slasher115, Oct 26, 2015.

1. Pickle_Rick

Pickle_Rick Ya boi Zack

Aug 28, 2017
    United States
    Somewhere
    I just tried it five minutes ago and it crashed playing Yoshi's Island with dynarec off.

2. DualBladedKirito

DualBladedKirito The Black Swordsman

Sep 9, 2015
    United States
    United States
    Are you sure it's not an emulator compatibility issue rather than a dynarec issue? Because I have been playing a heavily modified version of pokemon and it's been running fine for hours.

3. Pickle_Rick

Pickle_Rick Ya boi Zack

Aug 28, 2017
    United States
    Somewhere
    Works fine on my psp running gpsp.

4. DualBladedKirito

Sep 9, 2015
    United States
    United States
    You do know the psp uses a newer version of gpsp right? Not all version are identical between consoles.
    Iirc there are 3 different versions of gpsp for psp

5. Pickle_Rick

Pickle_Rick Ya boi Zack

Aug 28, 2017
    United States
    Somewhere
    Well that depends because the libretro one is a fork and still gets updates every now and again. Also, it used to work on older versions of RA so it was broken at some point. I used to play Yoshi's Island all the time with ninjhax until it started crashing. (Also, it doesn't crash on other platforms that have the gpsp core.)

Last edited by Pickle_Rick, May 13, 2019
  6. DualBladedKirito

Sep 9, 2015
    United States
    United States
    It is possible. Changes made can actually break compatibility with a single game only or multiple games. Does it crash with every game for you? Cause if it's just yoshis island that sounds like a game compatibility regression.

7. Pickle_Rick

Pickle_Rick Ya boi Zack

Aug 28, 2017
    United States
    Somewhere
    Yeah eventually, but Yoshi crashes really fast. You can barely play through a level.

8. DualBladedKirito

Sep 9, 2015
    United States
    United States
    That really sounds like dynarec is on tho. Did you disable it in quick settings them completely close out of retroarch via rgui and not the home button?

9. Pickle_Rick

Pickle_Rick Ya boi Zack

Aug 28, 2017
    United States
    Somewhere
    Yes, it's disabled. I've even restarted my 3DS and it still says disabled.

10. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Damn, that sucks.

11. Rahkeesh

Rahkeesh GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 3, 2018
    United States
    I just crashed Yoshi's Island on the 3dsx version after the first area, impressive. :P

I guess this is more of a game compatibility issue, this is the first one I've hit without dynarec. But more are surely out there.

Edit: if you think saving is causes crashes, you might try converting the ROM to use SRAM with GBATA. Flash saves don't seem to be supported at all (Mario v Donkey Kong, Final Fantasy Tactics, don't crash but refuse to save) but converting them to SRAM allowed them to save.

Last edited by Rahkeesh, May 14, 2019
  12. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Guru

Jan 2, 2009
    Germany
    i don't know what you guys don't get about random crashes.
    I've played final fantasy 6 for hours without a crash before, and I've also played it with almost 50 crashes per hour. it is random.

also, i can't take anyone serious who says gpgp on n3ds runs acceptable without dynarec. it doesn't. just like mgba doesn't. not even close.

13. Pickle_Rick

Pickle_Rick Ya boi Zack

Aug 28, 2017
    United States
    Somewhere
    It does though. Even the title screen on Yoshi's Island runs full speed with it disabled. But yeah the crashes are random.

14. MrHuu

MrHuu GBAtemp Regular

Sep 19, 2015
    Netherlands
    Ok, I think we've all concluded gpsp isn't working right.
    No developer is looking into this issue, at this moment.
    To be able to solve it, you'll need some specialized knowledge about the GBA, gpsp, and probably the 3DS itself.

Maybe try to discuss a possible solution?

A few possibilities are:

• Learn C and try to fix it yourself.
    • Wait until someone else learned C and fixes it for you.
    • Start a bounty to get someone, who does have the skill and interest, to fix it for you.
    O, and last but not least..
    • forget about gpsp and hope mgba will reach the level you wish (and gets included in retroarch again).

15. Pickle_Rick

Pickle_Rick Ya boi Zack

Aug 28, 2017
    United States
    Somewhere
    This is a discussion thread for RetroArch. Talking about gpsp is entirely in topic and OK to discuss.

16. MrHuu

MrHuu GBAtemp Regular

Sep 19, 2015
    Netherlands
    O by all means, please continue your discussion. Sorry to interrupt, it was about to get interesting!

FateForWindows likes this.
  17. ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333 GBAtemp Guru

Jan 17, 2013
    Mexico
    Some guys have already taken note, and found a couple of things which could be causing the dynarec crashes in an Issue on RetroArch's Github page.
    https://github.com/libretro/RetroArch/issues/8750

It seems to be caused due to some condition which checked for old methods of launching homebrew, and said method seems to affect almost all cores which relied on dynarec for good performance on 3DS (like PicoDrive, PCSX Rearmed, gPSP)

Last edited by ShadowOne333, May 14, 2019
    Pickle_Rick and MrHuu like this.
  18. MrHuu

MrHuu GBAtemp Regular

Sep 19, 2015
    Netherlands
    I noticed, @Vague Rant is doing some nice work there! But, please correct me if i'm wrong, isn't this issue is related to dynarec not being enabled in the first place?

When it's enabled, it still crashes.

19. Rahkeesh

Rahkeesh GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 3, 2018
    United States
    Yeah I think Vaguerant is working on getting dynarecs to work as .3dsx, so you don't have to install .cia to use them. It's not going to fix any crashes unless they were specifically related to running as a .cia for some reason.

Last edited by Rahkeesh, May 14, 2019
    Vague Rant and FateForWindows like this.
  20. NotReallySteve

NotReallySteve Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 15, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Does mame 2003 plus work yet?
    Does dynarec cause crashing in psx stuff? I thought I had that enabled and seemed to have stuff working okay, but then all I've really tried is some shmups (absolutely not fussed about anything the psx is doing with polygons tbh).