Homebrew Question Retroarch DosBox Core - Graphic Glitches

ThaKarra

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hi all,

So I've fallen down the rabbit hole of emulation on the Switch using Retroarch. For a bit of fun I'm trying to get some odd things running on it, like DOS games.

I mean come on, DOS games on the Switch?

Anyway I've managed to get a bunch running and after I create individual key maps for each game, they run pretty good! - But I've come across a few games that have graphical glitches throughout the game.

If you refer to the attached image you'll see that an example of this is in the game "Word Rescue". Although the game actually runs smooth, it's impossible to play because of the glitchy graphics. --

I got Crystal Caves up and running and although the menus and startup of the game had glitches, I could not find any in actual gameplay.

I've played around with the core settings; like setting it to VGA, playing around with the system and setting it to 386, and I've also reduced the memory. Nothing has really made a difference. But then again I don't really know what I'm doing with these settings. Ultimately I'm trying to just set the emulation up for the games actual required hardware.

Does anyone have any ideas, tips or experience using the DosBox Core in Retroarch?

Attachments

• IMG_20200710_015614.jpg
    IMG_20200710_015614.jpg
    528.6 KB · Views: 329

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It doesn't give any details, but the official compatibility list (for dosbox in general, not on switch) shows a shorter green line for dosbox version 0.74 than for 0.73 and 0.72. Maybe an older version would work better?

e: oops, having said that, the initial 0.7.4 was from 2012 and 0.7.3 was 2009, so not likely to have been on Switch :rofl:
You could still compare to dosbox on a computer or other device and see if the same issues are present for the same games.

Last edited by hippy dave,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, I have a piano keyboard but I never use it