Homebrew Question Restoring old version from RAWNand backup?

eMikey

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Starting with FW 4.1.0 I followed the "switch-hacking-101-how-to-launch-the-homebrew" tutorial, backing up my nand per instructions:

After everything was complete I was messing around and ended up super nagging my switch, needing to upgrade to 5.0.2. Is there anyway to go back to 4.1.0 using my RAWNand backup? If not now, is this something that may be possible in the future?

My guess is that the answer is no to both questions, but I figure I'd ask.

Thank you.

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
in the future, perhaps you can have a downgraded emunand (but why?) considering there is a way to "dump" efuses (whatever it means to dump them... I read it on twitter, but it was from a dev/re person.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is possible to downgrade because the exploit we have is loaded before the fuse check, but its a moot point as you will be using that exploit regardless of your firmware. For example, you're on the latest firmware and want to downgrade to 1.0 because it has access to softmod exploits of loading the CFW, Atmosphere. To avoid having your Switch panic when you load 1.0, you will need to do the tethered coldboot to bypass that check in order to access 1.0 whereas on the latest firmware, you have to use the same tethered coldboot since there are no other exploits on that firmware.

Proto-Propski

Legally Weird!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It is possible to downgrade because the exploit we have is loaded before the fuse check, but its a moot point as you will be using that exploit regardless of your firmware. For example, you're on the latest firmware and want to downgrade to 1.0 because it has access to softmod exploits of loading the CFW, Atmosphere. To avoid having your Switch panic when you load 1.0, you will need to do the tethered coldboot to bypass that check in order to access 1.0 whereas on the latest firmware, you have to use the same tethered coldboot since there are no other exploits on that firmware.

Basically downgrading is pointless because we need to use the bootrom exploit which would defeat the purpose of downgrading entirely.

Last edited by Proto-Propski,
Reactions: Draxzelex

XxShalevElimelechxX

Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
Well actually it's theoretically possible, and not by bypassing the fuse check, Nintendo doesn't burn fuses in every update they release, so there are some versions that share the same number of required burnt fuses (It's mainly minor updates though).
I think SciresM actually mentioned that once and I think he said he done that successfully.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well actually it's theoretically possible, and not by bypassing the fuse check, Nintendo doesn't burn fuses in every update they release, so there are some versions that share the same number of required burnt fuses (It's mainly minor updates though).
I think SciresM actually mentioned that once and I think he said he done that successfully.
Yes this is true, however based on OP's firmwares, they use different eFuses. So it would be more along the lines of a case-by-case basis. Honestly, most people bring up downgrade because certain lower firmwares have access to better ways of booting the CFW without the need to use the tethered coldboot. The irony is that you need some type of coldboot to bypass the check. And yes, I've read that he in fact has burned all 32 of his fuses but he has also used Fusee Gelee whenever his Switch corrupts because of that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :O:rofl2: +1