Homebrew [Request] ResidualVM

william341

Last remaining VinsClone
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe. Project is still a little new and has some structural issues. I can't start now, I will eventually.
I was like "If anyone were to port it, it's probably TheCruel.".

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Maybe. Project is still a little new and has some structural issues. I can't start now, I will eventually.
It seems to be some what based off of ScummVM. I'll see if I can get it to work with the SVM port code

MasterFeizz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was like "If anyone were to port it, it's probably TheCruel.".

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

It seems to be some what based off of ScummVM. I'll see if I can get it to work with the SVM port code
I believe ResidualVM relies on opengl for the 3D part, so that will need some work.

TheCruel

Developer
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They have a software renderer. I tested the performance to see how stuff worked. From what I've seen, the software renderer is definitely not usable on the o3ds (which I own) and may not even be on the n3ds. It uses a lot of RAM. Looking at the desktop build, the OpenGL renderer uses ~60MB while software renderer uses ~260MB with the game I tested. Probably similar on the 3ds. I imagine the OpenGL renderer is using a lot of VRAM which the 3ds is pretty low on.

Obviously a full 3ds renderer mode would need to be implemented. And if I had to guess, I'd say it wouldn't work on the o3ds due to lack of memory. So this will be lower on my priorities.

Using software renderer, I can only see the title screens of games lol, like the opening menu of Myst III: Exile I can use the menu, and Grim Fandango can see the opening logos. But then it crashes as RAM runs out.

R9qcbCg.png

Last edited by TheCruel,
Reactions: VegaRoXas and MrHuu

TheCruel

Developer
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I picked this up again, starting with Myst III:

23gSskJ.png

It's nearly working. Grim Fandango is a lot more complicated, but I don't see why it can't work.

This may well be a n3ds exclusive homebrew due to RAM usage. I can do some tinkering with current renderer, might be able to work it with o3ds extended memory mode. Video playback (Myst loves that) may be a bit slow on o3ds, we'll see.

Reactions: VegaRoXas and MrHuu

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I picked this up again, starting with Myst III:

23gSskJ.png

It's nearly working. Grim Fandango is a lot more complicated, but I don't see why it can't work.

This may well be a n3ds exclusive homebrew due to RAM usage. I can do some tinkering with current renderer, might be able to work it with o3ds extended memory mode. Video playback (Myst loves that) may be a bit slow on o3ds, we'll see.

The N3DS also has an extended memory mode that gives you access to something along the lines of 178MB RAM iirc, so you can always use that as well, if needed. Luma3DS and some other CFWs support it out of the box (due to reboot patches).

TheCruel

Developer
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, looks like there's no hope with o3ds support. Even n3ds is sluggish and needing tweaks. The video playback kills it considering it's software decoding of files designed for 640x480 internal resolution. I'll post a video soon when I get home.

The N3DS also has an extended memory mode that gives you access to something along the lines of 178MB RAM iirc, so you can always use that as well, if needed. Luma3DS and some other CFWs support it out of the box (due to reboot patches).
Using 178MB mode crashes for me, presumably something with ctrulib. Either way, that much RAM isn't needed, so should be fine.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://a.co/d/8tRQnqT