Replacement shells?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by StarGazerTom, Sep 30, 2015.

1. StarGazerTom
    OP

StarGazerTom GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 2, 2015
    Hey all, been looking a while but can't find one so I thought I'd ask. I've been looking to replace the red shell off of my O3DSXL because i got it second hand and it was scuffed to all hell. Anyone know where I might be able to get one, preferably in purple or something? I dont like the look of the external shells, just the replacement bits wanted :D

Thanks in advanced :D

2. froggestspirit

froggestspirit D/P/Pt Demix Guy

Jul 28, 2011
    United States
    You can find them on ebay. IIRC, they run for about $20, but you wont be finding purple, because I think I've only seen colors that have been officially released (including special edition ones)

3. royant1

royant1 GBAtemp Regular

Sep 17, 2015
    Iceland
    What about N3DSXL?

4. DaftMink

DaftMink GBAtemp Regular

Mar 19, 2015
    United States
    You can find the "shells" by eBay searching "3ds housing".
    They are available currently for 3DS and 3DSXL, not N3DS or N3DSXL.

I've never bought a shell replacement before, but I doubt they are up to Nintendo quality standers.
    Got a replacement door lid for my 3DS from eBay though and it was grey instead of white (still works though so I'm happy).

5. link6155

link6155 GBAtemp Fan

Aug 14, 2013
    United States
    Even if you can't find the color you want, I think you can just paint the replacement shell to your heart's desire. Might be a cool project for someone to do :)

6. Sasori

Sasori GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 28, 2015
    United States
    Aliexpress or eBay will probably be your best bet

7. SmileCitrus

SmileCitrus GBAtemp Regular

Mar 29, 2009
    United States
    I second this. The third-party housing sets you can find on eBay and Aliexpress are not bad or anything, but they're nowhere near as good as the original Nintendo parts. I've had the opportunity to handle many sets of aftermarket O3DS and O3DSXL replacement housing and, while some sets are definitely better than others, the plastic is generally more brittle and can feel a bit flimsy. You also can't really mix and match original and third-party housing parts, since even the best quality third-party housing is different in color and texture when compared to the original. Many sets do look very nice, but once you have it in your hands, even the most expensive aftermarket housing still looks and feels very unmistakably aftermarket.
    I don't think there is any aftermarket N3DSXL housing around yet, but original replacement housing is available on eBay.

Last edited by SmileCitrus, Oct 1, 2015
  8. flarn2006

flarn2006 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 6, 2014
    United States
    Did anyone else see the title and think the thread was about a replacement for the Home Menu? I mean before actually clicking the thread.

9. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    Search for OEM parts on ebay or google I buy housing for PSP units often since I make them from spare parts.

10. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
    I bought a black replacement shell to replace the ugly neon blue one on for the xl on ebay
    you want to look for ones pulled from 3ds systems and not "brand new / oem" shells

11. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    Not necessarily true some sellers actually have real OEM parts in large boxes for sale from warehouses (most likely stolen or illegally sold) its just a matter of looking for a good seller and to see real pictures of the product.