ROM Hack Replacement for HANS? Think Riivolution, SDCaffine etc.

FlappyFalco

Smile, No Matter How Bad it Gets~
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Does anyone know if a file patcher like Riivolution would be possible for 3DS modding? I know there's Salty SD, but that's SM4SH only and doesn't allow you to add in new files, so it's not the best. HANS was great for when the userland Homebrew Launcher was all we had, and it really opened the doors to modding for a lot of people before downgrading to 9.2 became a thing, but it has many disadvantages:

1. It requires you to have the whole ROMFS on your SD card and not just the files you want to replace, which can take up a lot of space depending on the game, and also makes it more difficult to distribute mods.

2. Tying into that last point, it's possible to extract all the games files from this ROMFS, and possibly even build it into a .3ds or .cia for piracy, leading to legal issues when distributing mods.

3. It requires you to compile all the files into a ROMFS, which is inconvenient, especially when testing mods.

4. It requires both the userland exploit and the Homebrew Launcher to run.

5. As far as I know, as of now, it doesn't support game updates/patches nor DLC.

I apologizeif I'm just being a n00b, there probably is some logical reason why this hasn't been done before, but if it can exist, I think it should.

Reactions: Deleted User

MsMidnight

part time fe modder
Trophies
Website
camilla.hostfree.pw
XP
Country
Does anyone know if a file patcher like Riivolution would be possible for 3DS modding? I know there's Salty SD, but that's SM4SH only and doesn't allow you to add in new files, so it's not the best. HANS was great for when the userland Homebrew Launcher was all we had, and it really opened the doors to modding for a lot of people before downgrading to 9.2 became a thing, but it has many disadvantages:

1. It requires you to have the whole ROMFS on your SD card and not just the files you want to replace, which can take up a lot of space depending on the game, and also makes it more difficult to distribute mods.

2. Tying into that last point, it's possible to extract all the games files from this ROMFS, and possibly even build it into a .3ds or .cia for piracy, leading to legal issues when distributing mods.

3. It requires you to compile all the files into a ROMFS, which is inconvenient, especially when testing mods.

4. It requires both the userland exploit and the Homebrew Launcher to run.

5. As far as I know, as of now, it doesn't support game updates/patches nor DLC.

I apologizeif I'm just being a n00b, there probably is some logical reason why this hasn't been done before, but if it can exist, I think it should.
a homebrw version of saltysd without the update patching could actually be useful

Reactions: FlappyFalco

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: