Hacking [Release] NTR CFW 2.0 for New 3DS

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Almost any member complaining about the dev's not enabling unsign cia don't know the meaning of piracy, they just want it. JUST WANT IT.

It's not "piracy". It is fair use. There is nothing criminal about it (nearly all court cases involving copyright infringement have been a misinterpretation of the law, most people not being corporate entities). And it increases sales. The Amiga didn't lose to the PC because of the PC's "business ties", it lost because of it's own over-the-top DRM that wouldn't even let you install a game to the hard drive (any questions, see WHDLoad). Did you even bother to read what I said? Sure, some people are freeloaders. A freeloader is not a potential customer to begin with. However, most people have a conscience and will ultimately buy something if it is good, including most of the people a freeloader shows off their "warez" to. Case in point, I showed someone the copy of Quake I got from the Quake Shareware CD once. He went out and bought it the next day. I had no intention of supporting the developers for that one use code crap they were trying to pull, but I ended up giving them a sale anyway. So you see, even the would-be freeloader increases sales. If game developers don't like that their market operates on the honor system, they can find another profession, because all attempts to stop so-called "piracy" have failed (while the games continue to make more and more money). Since they're making more money than I am, I don't see why they would. Metallica even acknowledges that we made them what they are. Lars knows the music industry as well as anyone. For him to say that "it can leak all over the place for all we care" in response to "Death Magnetic" getting leaked on the Internet speaks volumes. Even Mr. Anti-Napster has come around and seen the lie for what it is.

"Home audio recording is killing music". "The VCR will be the death of the silver screen." How much of the MAFIAA's scaremongering does history have to prove wrong before people like you stop believing it?

Understand what your going through but that is something that is out of our control since we, most of these members, don't know how to code. All you need to do is learn it the way they did and you can get started and "share" with the scene. Other than that you short on options since GW is the only way to get homebrew, cia installs, region-free (the all in one package deal) working on the n3ds. If you hate to pay GW for there work, and seeing as how you hate the way there is no free support in the scene for what you are wanting to do with your n3ds, than you'll just have to wait patiently for someone to get drunk and say "fuck it lets do this".

Are you dense? I've mentioned countless times that I own two Gateways and a Sky3DS. I'm not one of those cheap-asses that has a problem paying $70 for a backup device. Back in the day we spent $300 on devices like the Super Magic Griffin (one of my personal favorites), Super Wild Card DX2, and Z64. Even the fact that I had to use the Sky to boot GW mode on the N3DS doesn't concern me (I'm glad Europe has so many legit CIAs with it being so awkward though, which I've been installing via Gateway mode I might add, edit first byte on internal card, GW launcher cant find EmuNAND, since CFW doesn't even work on the N3DS, how did you think I was getting them on there?). Does Gateway currently allow you to use SaveDataFiler with actual game carts? No. You either run Gateway mode, which gives you CIA support but only runs ROMs from the GW cart, or Classic mode, which runs retail carts from any region but disables CIAs (DLC doesn't work, any update you have installed doesn't work and has to actually be re-downloaded from the eShop, etc). This makes it impossible to run SaveDataFiler with an actual game cart unless you use a CFW like Palantine or PBT (PBT also running DSiWare, and being relatively easy to dual boot with it not needing an EmuNAND -- instead of using the GW-compatible launcher, use the homebrew one renamed to MSetForBoss.dat, place rop_multiloader.nds on your blue card or DSTwo, and you can switch what boots via options 1 and 3). If you actually owned a Gateway, you would know this. Next time you might want to do a little research before posting a reply. It does wonders for your credibility when you actually know what you're talking about.

Gateway is extremely close to having the complete package, yes, but they still need an "Enhanced Mode" that boots retail carts and runs CIAs, because that would put an end to the 6.x save problem. And they need a hot button that simultaneously disables loading of EmuNAND and enables running of DS code (i.e. hold R while booting Gateway mode). That would assist in the installing of legit CIAs in SysNAND (no need to edit the first byte on the card), and enable people to play DSiWare without switching the ROP/Launcher and having to reboot the 3DS multiple times before PBT finally launches.

MrJason005

√2
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
It's not "piracy". It is fair use. There is nothing criminal about it (nearly all court cases involving copyright infringement have been a misinterpretation of the law, most people not being corporate entities). And it increases sales. The Amiga didn't lose to the PC because of the PC's "business ties", it lost because of it's own over-the-top DRM that wouldn't even let you install a game to the hard drive (any questions, see WHDLoad). Did you even bother to read what I said? Sure, some people are freeloaders. A freeloader is not a potential customer to begin with. However, most people have a conscience and will ultimately buy something if it is good, including most of the people a freeloader shows off their "warez" to. Case in point, I showed someone the copy of Quake I got from the Quake Shareware CD once. He went out and bought it the next day. I had no intention of supporting the developers for that one use code crap they were trying to pull, but I ended up giving them a sale anyway. So you see, even the would-be freeloader increases sales. If game developers don't like that their market operates on the honor system, they can find another profession, because all attempts to stop so-called "piracy" have failed (while the games continue to make more and more money). Since they're making more money than I am, I don't see why they would. Metallica even acknowledges that we made them what they are. Lars knows the music industry as well as anyone. For him to say that "it can leak all over the place for all we care" in response to "Death Magnetic" getting leaked on the Internet speaks volumes. Even Mr. Anti-Napster has come around and seen the lie for what it is.

"Home audio recording is killing music". "The VCR will be the death of the silver screen." How much of the MAFIAA's scaremongering does history have to prove wrong before people like you stop believing it?

Are you dense? I've mentioned countless times that I own two Gateways and a Sky3DS. I'm not one of those cheap-asses that has a problem paying $70 for a backup device. Back in the day we spent $300 on devices like the Super Magic Griffin (one of my personal favorites), Super Wild Card DX2, and Z64. Even the fact that I had to use the Sky to boot GW mode on the N3DS doesn't concern me (I'm glad Europe has so many legit CIAs with it being so awkward though, which I've been installing via Gateway mode I might add, edit first byte on internal card, GW launcher cant find EmuNAND, since CFW doesn't even work on the N3DS, how did you think I was getting them on there?). Does Gateway currently allow you to use SaveDataFiler with actual game carts? No. You either run Gateway mode, which gives you CIA support but only runs ROMs from the GW cart, or Classic mode, which runs retail carts from any region but disables CIAs (DLC doesn't work, any update you have installed doesn't work and has to actually be re-downloaded from the eShop, etc). This makes it impossible to run SaveDataFiler with an actual game cart unless you use a CFW like Palantine or PBT (PBT also running DSiWare, and being relatively easy to dual boot with it not needing an EmuNAND -- instead of using the GW-compatible launcher, use the homebrew one renamed to MSetForBoss.dat, place rop_multiloader.nds on your blue card or DSTwo, and you can switch what boots via options 1 and 3). If you actually owned a Gateway, you would know this. Next time you might want to do a little research before posting a reply. It does wonders for your credibility when you actually know what you're talking about.

Gateway is extremely close to having the complete package, yes, but they still need an "Enhanced Mode" that boots retail carts and runs CIAs, because that would put an end to the 6.x save problem. And they need a hot button that simultaneously disables loading of EmuNAND and enables running of DS code (i.e. hold R while booting Gateway mode). That would assist in the installing of legit CIAs in SysNAND (no need to edit the first byte on the card), and enable people to play DSiWare without switching the ROP/Launcher and having to reboot the 3DS multiple times before PBT finally launches.
Might I ask something: Doesn't Gateway already support CIAs? I am running SaveDataFiler on GW menu and have even moved a save from .3DS to .CIA via this method, Though I haven't tried it with my Retail Copy of Pokemon X.
Also, holding R when booting GW brings up the menu to update the FPGA

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Sorry but not alot of members here seem to have a conscious, because all I keep seeing is "I want this" "I want that". If you deem a feature to be fair use why have you not created it and share it with the scene as you see fit? If these guys don't want to than hey no one on the fuckin web is going to force there hand, NOBODY.

Quake shareware cd, say that one more time, its a shared app, which means the company decided to have it as freeware, that game was sold for previous gen consoles before it was deemed free to pass around and custom mods. Why your friend would pay for something when its free is beyond me but hey you allowed him to be fooled by that.

Metallica has been around for ages and anyone whose a fan knows that, the mp3 format did not make them who they are today and god forbid if they can last another decade.

The only thing i see you wanting are to simplify things but hey nothing is ever that simple.

Reactions: NEP

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Might I ask something: Doesn't Gateway already support CIAs? I am running SaveDataFiler on GW menu and have even moved a save from .3DS to .CIA via this method, Though I haven't tried it with my Retail Copy of Pokemon X.
Also, holding R when booting GW brings up the menu to update the FPGA

They support CIAs ONLY in GW mode. And indeed, SDF works fine with ROMs and CIAs in GW mode. Once you realize the way GW mode saves information is by creating a file named for the RUNNING app's title id (<titleid>.sav), it's a simple matter of renaming the save you want to transfer to SDF's title ID (000400000FF40A00.sav), and SDF can decrypt pretty much any ROM save. And of course, since you know that transferring to CTR Card is actually going to transfer to SDF's save, after doing so (with the proper ROM loaded so SDF can use it's header), all you have to do is rename 000400000FF40A00.sav to the game's title ID and it works. The problem is dumping a save from a physical cart. Because you can't run SDF in "Classic Mode". Since I doubt GW would want to change the existing Classic Mode, being that people could run CIAs for free if they stayed on 7.1 or below, and with people asking GW to just open up Classic Mode completely (and I don't see what it would hurt with no CIA capabilities), I propose a new card-requiring mode called "Enhanced Mode" that enables CIAs AND has access to physical carts.

Now, CFW will let you access physical carts. I've transferred my Castlevania: Mirror Of Fate and Zelda: OoT saves from my real carts to ROMs. However, you can't do this with a game using the 6.x key, because CFW only works on 4.5.

Hmm, so R's in use. OK, maybe holding Down on the D-pad. It was just an example. Regardless of how they do it, making loading EmuNAND optional would be nice. Like I said, I can edit the first byte on the internal card with Hex Workshop so that it says "FATEWAYNAND" and then EmuNAND won't boot until I change it back, but it would be nice not to have to take the card out. And with 3 exploits (and I'm definitely for back-porting the new exploit to the old 3DS), allowing the running of DS code when said bypass is performed, which will wipe out the MSET exploit, is not a big deal anymore (you can even put it back with the web exploit now). Especially in the case of the N3DS, which can't even use MSET.

What has me puzzled is why no one wants to put that old 4.5 CFW out of its misery already. I see 3 projects here. And all of them apparently have no desire to even try. If you MAFIAA Kool-Aid drinkers insist on frustrating me, at least consolidate your efforts into one project, so we're not seeing 3 news announcements from 3 teams that just accomplished region-free (months after Smealum and Gateway have beat them to the punch).

Reactions: MrJason005

Ericss

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm, so R's in use. OK, maybe holding Down on the D-pad. It was just an example. Regardless of how they do it, making loading EmuNAND optional would be nice. Like I said, I can edit the first byte on the internal card with Hex Workshop so that it says "FATEWAYNAND" and then EmuNAND won't boot until I change it back, but it would be nice not to have to take the card out. And with 3 exploits (and I'm definitely for back-porting the new exploit to the old 3DS), allowing the running of DS code when said bypass is performed, which will wipe out the MSET exploit, is not a big deal anymore (you can even put it back with the web exploit now). Especially in the case of the N3DS, which can't even use MSET.
I second giving us an option of going into GW mode without emuNAND. Now that it's possible to play DSiware games by installing their cias to sysNAND, there are more reasons than ever to have this feature. Having to replace the SD with one without an emuNAND partition is an unnecessary hassle.

Reactions: MrJason005

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I second giving us an option of going into GW mode without emuNAND. Now that it's possible to play DSiware games by installing their cias to sysNAND, there are more reasons than ever to have this feature. Having to replace the SD with one without an emuNAND partition is an unnecessary hassle.

Well, you don't have to have two cards. You don't even have to use Ronhero's dual EmuNAND method since PBT won't use it. You just need to rename the non-GW Palatine launcher to MSetForBoss.dat and run rop_multiloader.nds from blue/DSTwo (option 1 sets it to boot GW mode, option 3 sets it to boot PBT). And as I've said before, you can change the first byte on the internal card to force the GW launcher into SysNAND. But it would be much easier if you could just hold something down while GW mode was launching (that and, PBT can take several attempts to boot).

MrJason005

√2
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Well, you don't have to have two cards. You don't even have to use Ronhero's dual EmuNAND method since PBT won't use it. You just need to rename the non-GW Palatine launcher to MSetForBoss.dat and run rop_multiloader.nds from blue/DSTwo (that wayoption 1 boots GW mode, option 3 boots PBT). And as I've said before, you can change the first byte on the internal card to force the GW launcher into SysNAND. But it would be much easier if you could just hold something down while GW mode was launching (that and, PBT can take several attempts to boot).
Noob question, but what is PBT? Palantine CFW?

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry but not alot of members here seem to have a conscious, because all I keep seeing is "I want this" "I want that". If you deem a feature to be fair use why have you not created it and share it with the scene as you see fit? If these guys don't want to than hey no one on the fuckin web is going to force there hand, NOBODY.

Quake shareware cd, say that one more time, its a shared app, which means the company decided to have it as freeware, that game was sold for previous gen consoles before it was deemed free to pass around and custom mods. Why your friend would pay for something when its free is beyond me but hey you allowed him to be fooled by that.

Metallica has been around for ages and anyone whose a fan knows that, the mp3 format did not make them who they are today and god forbid if they can last another decade.

The only thing i see you wanting are to simplify things but hey nothing is ever that simple.

Who said anything about forcing anyone's hand? I'm just putting the idea out there. Either someone takes it and runs with it or they don't. If not, I may have to do it myself. That happens. Blizzard didn't want to support the 360 controller so I learned how to code an AHK script that maps keys to clicks on the screen (that was the easy part, the hard part was then creating one that uses no key remaps so it would work with Xpadder). I now have a 4 key, 8 direction script with isometrically aligned diagonals and off-recentering so you continue to face the same direction on release. And then the superior PS3 version hit. But it wasn't completely pointless. It works great with Diablo II and Torchlight 2, with some slight modifications. Now, if only AHK scripts were marketable. I will do it if I get frustrated enough. It's just going to take me longer starting from scratch. I'm planning to send Gateway an e-mail as well. Maybe they'll fix it, and maybe not. But I won't know if I don't ask.

You've never heard of the Quake Shareware CD, and it's obvious. You haven't even heard of shareware. It's not the same thing as freeware. It's gives you, say, the first episode of an FPS, and then expects you to buy the rest. Not quite the full game, but much more than you get from the typical demo. The original Doom and Heretic were marketed this way, ergo they have more than one episode (the first episode being included in the shareware release, the rest being commercial only). Doom II and Hexen were not marketed this way, being post-name-brand-establishment sequels, and therefore only have one episode. It's not surprising you haven't heard of shareware though. This infamous CD I'm referring to practically ended it. It practically died alongside DOS (just like the golden age of PC gaming).

Quake was a new game back when this occurred. And it was not the shareware version I was running ;) The Quake Shareware CD announced a new method of marketing software from id Software. A bad one for the consumer. You called them, got a one time use code, and it decrypted the game. Once. They didn't send you a CD, they didn't keep a record, your hard drive crashes, you need to spend another $40. Just bad marketing. They also severely underestimated the capacity of the cracking scene. You see, it wasn't just the full version of Quake that was encrypted on that CD, it was their entire software catalog! They should have known better. The crack was swift in coming, and morally justified in light of the consumer's need to protect their purchase. Not that I ripped off their entire catalog. I couldn't. Prior to that, I had purchased almost everything they made. I still have my original Doom, Doom 2, Heretic, and Hexen CDs right here. In fact, I've got original CDs here of Quake II and all of the expansions. id Software just pissed me off with their screw-the-customer attitude on the first one, so I never bought it.

The point is, I offered to let my friend borrow the most infamous cracked CD in history, and a copy of the crack. He instead opted to go out and buy the retail Quake CD the next day. Craziest thing I had ever seen at the time. I have since realized that humanity is basically good. If we were basically evil like most religions claim, Gotham wouldn't be fiction, it would be a reality series. Anyway it proves my point. Most people will do the right thing. Some sooner than others. Those that won't, well, like I said, you're never going to force freeloaders to spend money. You stop people from getting your game for free, they just move onto the next one. And then all their non-freeloading friends buy THAT game instead of yours. Unless they're the gambling type that buys something unseen. Most people learn about what's new from their tech friends, most of which are fair users.

Who said anything about the MP3 format? MP3s didn't even exist when Metallica was getting started. Back then we had these things called tapes. And yes, bootleg tapes are what made them. Their stuff got circulated so much by the underground scene that people were listening to tapes that were more hiss than music, and loving it. Personally, I thought "Death Magnetic" was good once I got a non-brickwalled copy (Rick did almost ruin it though, he should leave the sound engineering to professionals that aren't suffering from hearing loss, like he apparently is). But to each their own. Just using an example of how even professional musicians admit that people spreading their work helped them. But fine, how about Trent Reznor. He all out encourages people to download his music, because most of his profit comes from live performances. Now there's someone that knows their business. Trent knows that anything that gets his music played in front of more people is good for his popularity, and will ultimately make him more money.

Reactions: niño de cobre

cell9

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Who said anything about forcing anyone's hand? I'm just putting the idea out there. Either someone takes it and runs with it or they don't. If not, I may have to do it myself. That happens. Blizzard didn't want to support the 360 controller so I learned how to code an AHK script that maps keys to clicks on the screen (that was the easy part, the hard part was then creating one that uses no key remaps so it would work with Xpadder). I now have a 4 key, 8 direction script with isometrically aligned diagonals and off-recentering so you continue to face the same direction on release. And then the superior PS3 version hit. But it wasn't completely pointless. It works great with Diablo II and Torchlight 2, with some slight modifications. Now, if only AHK scripts were marketable. I will do it if I get frustrated enough. It's just going to take me longer starting from scratch. I'm planning to send Gateway an e-mail as well. Maybe they'll fix it, and maybe not. But I won't know if I don't ask.

You've never heard of the Quake Shareware CD, and it's obvious. You haven't even heard of shareware. It's not the same thing as freeware. It's gives you, say, the first episode of an FPS, and then expects you to buy the rest. Not quite the full game, but much more than you get from the typical demo. The original Doom and Heretic were marketed this way, ergo they have more than one episode (the first episode being included in the shareware release, the rest being commercial only). Doom II and Hexen were not marketed this way, being post-name-brand-establishment sequels, and therefore only have one episode. It's not surprising you haven't heard of shareware though. This infamous CD I'm referring to practically ended it. It practically died alongside DOS (just like the golden age of PC gaming).

Quake was a new game back when this occurred. And it was not the shareware version I was running ;) The Quake Shareware CD announced a new method of marketing software from id Software. A bad one for the consumer. You called them, got a one time use code, and it decrypted the game. Once. They didn't send you a CD, they didn't keep a record, your hard drive crashes, you need to spend another $40. Just bad marketing. They also severely underestimated the capacity of the cracking scene. You see, it wasn't just the full version of Quake that was encrypted on that CD, it was their entire software catalog! They should have known better. The crack was swift in coming, and morally justified in light of the consumer's need to protect their purchase. Not that I ripped off their entire catalog. I couldn't. Prior to that, I had purchased almost everything they made. I still have my original Doom, Doom 2, Heretic, and Hexen CDs right here. In fact, I've got original CDs here of Quake II and all of the expansions. id Software just pissed me off with their screw-the-customer attitude on the first one, so I never bought it.

The point is, I offered to let my friend borrow the most infamous cracked CD in history, and a copy of the crack. He instead opted to go out and buy the retail Quake CD the next day. Craziest thing I had ever seen at the time. I have since realized that humanity is basically good. If we were basically evil like most religions claim, Gotham wouldn't be fiction, it would be a reality series. Anyway it proves my point. Most people will do the right thing. Some sooner than others. Those that won't, well, like I said, you're never going to force freeloaders to spend money. You stop people from getting your game for free, they just move onto the next one. And then all their non-freeloading friends buy THAT game instead of yours. Unless they're the gambling type that buys something unseen. Most people learn about what's new from their tech friends, most of which are fair users.

Who said anything about the MP3 format? MP3s didn't even exist when Metallica was getting started. Back then we had these things called tapes. And yes, bootleg tapes are what made them. Their stuff got circulated so much by the underground scene that people were listening to tapes that were more hiss than music, and loving it. Personally, I thought "Death Magnetic" was good once I got a non-brickwalled copy (Rick did almost ruin it though, he should leave the sound engineering to professionals that aren't suffering from hearing loss, like he apparently is). But to each their own. Just using an example of how even professional musicians admit that people spreading their work helped them. But fine, how about Trent Reznor. He all out encourages people to download his music, because most of his profit comes from live performances. Now there's someone that knows their business. Trent knows that anything that gets his music played in front of more people is good for his popularity, and will ultimately make him more money.

but writing a hotkey script is very different from making rom-loaders.

Reactions: Death78793 and jaku

Helper

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

wow

Reactions: zoogie and cell9

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/eTlZ0qcSZf4?si=0vpkdIWplaLMFVqv