Recommend me a good External HDD?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by kirokun, Jul 11, 2010.

Jul 11, 2010
  1. kirokun
    OP

Member kirokun GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I am currently looking for a good External HDD for my Wii.

I was wondering if anyone could help me pick one out.
    I'm looking for something that is cheap and works w/o problems [or at least not too many problems].

Also according to amazon reviews, seagate/WD brands aren't really top notch with these HDDs, so I really don't think I should settle in with those brands.

Thanks

2. murkurie

Member murkurie GBAtemp Fan

United States
    my 1TB WD elements drive works fine, has multiple partitions, so I don't have to use it with just the wii

3. lil_209

Banned lil_209 Banned

United States
    i highly recommend the hp simple save 1tb hdd. its only $100 at best buy. i bought one right after i got my wii. partition it into 2 drives one for movies and one for games

4. cobleman

Member cobleman GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
  5. bwillb

Member bwillb GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    i can pretty much guarantee that every single hard drive brand on amazon will have at least one review that says OMG THIS DRIVE DIEDED DONT BUY THIS BRAND.
    long story short... buy what has the features you want. check the compatibility list for wii stuff, etc...
    personally, I'm about to go buy an el cheapo 250gb hitachi simpledrive in the morning... its like $35, so it fits my main feature: cheap [​IMG]

6. wiiuser2

Member wiiuser2 GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    I have deployed now more than 5 seagate freeagent Go drives (500Gb) on Wii's without a single issue.
    Pro's: 5-year warranty from seagate, fully powered through the single USB connector. Small device, completely silent operations....
    One remark: after purchase use the provided seagate software to disable the sleep mode (select 'Never').
    This settings will ensure the drive never goes to sleep when the Wii is switched on. When the Wii is switched off the drive will switch off too.

and no, I have no shares in Seagate. I am just a very happy customer of this product. You will not regret purchasing it.

Stubborn friends of mine who bought WD passport drives have regularly issues, one example: the WD is powered correctly on the Wii through one USB connector but on certain laptops you need a y-cable with two USB connectors for sufficient power. Unfortunately WD doesn't ship the drives with a Y-cable...
    Anyway, this specific WD issue is not a generic one, just an observation from a very few cases.
    I am sure plenty of people will be happy with the WD's too.

But my vote goes to the seagate freeagent go

7. lafleche

Member lafleche GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
  8. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    Western Digital My Book Essential Edition 1TB is a very good drive, it works with all the applications I throw at it.
    Very good HDD! Probably gonna buy a new one too, just because I'm so happy with it!

9. luckwii

Member luckwii GBAtemp Fan

United States
    For $20-30 more you can get the 1.5TB Western Digital. I got one of mine on sale, and it was the same price as the 1TB.

10. TheDarkSeed

Member TheDarkSeed I'm a pretentious sack of shit

United States
    I'm gonna have to say goflex. you can find it on amazon.com

11. Parablank

Member Parablank GBAtemp Regular

United States
    This, I've been using it, and it's been working flawlessly.

12. Sick Wario

Member Sick Wario Club Nintendo

United Arab Emirates
    +1 WD elements HDDs!!!

silent, perfect!

13. w!!

Member w!! GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I have an WD Elements as well... The main thing to look for is a drive that doesn't "sleep" as they don't always wake when the Wii (in standby mode) does and you'll have to unplug and plug it back in manually.

14. smash_brew

Member smash_brew I may or may not have fallen

United States
    Ive got 1tb my book essentials edition as well. works like a charm. even knocked it off the desk a few times and still no problems.

15. Scott-105

Member Scott-105 Bow to me. Please?

Canada
    I've got my 1tb WD drive and it works great. It has like 4 partitions and it's working great.