Gaming rate this computer build

iFish

Slower than a 90s modem
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
All seems decent. But I don't know how well an Intel Core i3 will hold up for games.

I would say sacrifice some RAM and bump yourself up to an i5.

gregor1997

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
If you are going to get a non -k processor (i5 5500k or i7 6500k) get a h61 or h67 chipset instead of the one you chose. The one you chose has the overclocking feature but you cant overclock a non .k processor.

jamesaa

The Prince of Insufficient Light
Trophies
XP
I second what iFish says, 4GB of RAM should be enough (i'm happily using only 4GB with an i7) and use the saved cash to up the processor to an i5 (maybe 2500k - or maybe not just looked at the price difference - maybe 2300
tongue.gif
).

RAM is also alot easier to upgrade in the future should ever feel you really need the extra.

Porobu

Gbatemps Shiny Latias
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
gregor1997 said:
If you are going to get a non -k processor (i5 5500k or i7 6500k) get a h61 or h67 chipset instead of the one you chose. The one you chose has the overclocking feature but you cant overclock a non .k processor.
which would be a good h61 or h67 mobo that fits in the case?

Berthenk

Epitome of Awesomeness
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
iFish said:
Berthenk said:
The money saved by going for less RAM would probably not weigh up to the higher price of an i5.
But it would help somewhat...
"Somewhat" will not help here at all, he might be able to get a better (he will not need one anyway) motherboard, but not an i5. I found a 4GB kit, which is 24 bucks instead of the 35 8GB kit that was on the list.
The cheapest working i5 I could find was this one.
We save 11 bucks on the RAM. The i3 costs 100 bucks, the i5 177. You do the math.

Edit: I always forget things... especially if they go bold....

jamesaa

The Prince of Insufficient Light
Trophies
XP
iFish said:
Berthenk said:
The money saved by going for less RAM would probably not weigh up to the higher price of an i5.
But it would help somewhat...

This, on a UK site I was able to lower the RAM and go from an i3 2100 to an i5 2300 for only ~£15 extra overall. and that's without shopping around for good prices.

but meh, i'm being distracted from other things here so i'll let everyone else decide on the best setup
tongue.gif

marcus134

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
RAM:I would recommend kingston, crucial or some other more reputed brand over this one. 4gb vs 8gb, it's 20$ more, it's not really a big waste of money (even if 4gb is enough for most today, who knows what will be considered just enough in 3-4 years)

CPU: nice performance, 4 core doesn't bring better performances in games as they cannot spread the load across more than 2 core (some can't even spread the load on 2 cores), however, some games in the near future (like BF3) will take advantages of quad core processor.

Board: msi is an ok choice, asus is generally more highly regarded (and gigabyte since asus acquired 50% of them), it's quite easy to find a mobo that will fit in the case since atx cases can fit both atx and m-atx board which represent like 99% of the board available on the market. P67 chipset can be a good choice if considering an upgrade the following year or so since they are supposed to be compatible with ivy bridge (next release of cpu), otherwise, you can easily find some good h67 with plenty of feature.

GPU: the 460 is a good one, the 6850 is roughly equal in performances but consume 30 watt less power wich translate into less heat, less noise from the fans and less strain on the psu (although this is far to be a concern with a 620w psu) and more overclocking capabilities

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: horny jail is full la