R4DS Homebrew Contest voting open!

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Tempbot, Aug 4, 2009.

Aug 4, 2009
  1. Tempbot
    OP

Contributor Tempbot Tunnel Snakes rule

pip
    United Kingdom
    [​IMG] R4DS Homebrew Contest voting open!
    Vote now!
    [​IMG]
    Voting is now open to everyone on the R4 DS Revolution Top 10 Homebrew Contest.

You have over 40 (and counting) well known and brand new homebrew games and applications to chose from. It might be difficult to pick just one so you can vote for up to three of them.

With $500 up for grabs, it’s a great opportunity to support and reward whoever you think is the most deserving of the prize and a place in our R4 DS Top 10.

For more information and to cast your vote (or enter your homebrew if you haven't yet) go to...

[​IMG] Top 10 R4 DS Homebrew – Get Voting

Contributed by davidtube

2. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    why is the comp based on such a old flashcart? they should rename the comp to best homebrew on DS flashcarts

3. davidtube

Newcomer davidtube Member

United Kingdom
    Good question. It's because R4 is the most well known and I thought it would be good to show people that don't know so much about homebrew what some of the most popular stuff is when they're looking for R4s.

Hmmm, that wasn't the image I put on the story. I Wonder why the old one has gone up.

4. dice

Former Staff dice pansy-ass ex-staff member

United Kingdom
    Post the correct image here and one of us will update the first page for you.

5. davidtube

United Kingdom
    Thanks, I'll try again.

[​IMG]

6. dice

Former Staff dice pansy-ass ex-staff member

United Kingdom
    I've added it.

7. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    it is kind of sad that the list reads of a whos-who from a year ago. there isn't all that much of recent homebrew on the list. some of what was entered are dead projects which have not received updates for a very long time. it makes me sad that homebrew authors come out of the wood work when money or prizes are offered. it also makes me sad that they made a mockery of this contest. if they respected the contest you would have seen some new projects released or at least some old projects updated just for this contest. that r4 community should scrap this contest and rewrite the rules, then post it again. well, that is my opinion, anyways.

-another world

8. davidtube

United Kingdom
    Thanks for your comments Another World. It's not supposed to be a contest to get new software made (although hopefully that'll happen in the long run). The primary aim is to show people the most popular games you can get for free on your DS as well as just seeing what everyone likes. Developers are more than welcome to enter their old software. There have been several games updated just in time to enter the contest, although I'm not sure if this was the main reason why they were updated or not.

Thanks for fixing the image Dice

9. DjoeN

Member DjoeN Captain Haddock!

Belgium
    Like anotherworld says,

My thing is, There's great homebrew i don't see listed, there's homebrew i haven't seen updates for it in ages.
    It would be wasted to hand over money to someone who made a good piece of homebrew but has stepped out of the homebrew scene.

10. davidtube

United Kingdom
    You could be right. Then again it might encourage people to come back to the homebrew scene. Whatever you think, you can vote in a way that best suits whatever you believe.

I'm not taking any sides or casting a vote myself, just encouraging people to vote in whatever way they want.

By the way, if there is great homebrew missing from the list, feel free to contact the developers and see if they'd like to join the contest. [​IMG]

11. smealum

Member smealum growing up sucks.

United States
    The rules clearly stipulate that any homebrew can enter, so old projects have every right to be on that list. Also, you might not know that, but many of us developpers were actually contacted by the organizer of the contest to enter their projects. I actually wasn't planning on entering Legion at first, but since I was asked to, I did. I have 2 new projets I'm working on and they're just not ready to be released to the public, so my only way of showing my support towards this kind of competitions was to enter an old one. I don't even think I have a chance of winning something anyway, so there you go; please don't judge people without taking all the elements into account, we didn't all enter just to get some quick money, and even if some did, there's no reason why they shouldn't have the right to.

12. davidtube

United Kingdom
    And you're support is very much appreciated Smealum. By the way, I think you have a good chance of winning something...

I'll be giving a away a few details of how the voting is going soon on the site.

13. dib

Member dib GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    If you want to talk about mockery, the inclusion of that Warcraft Tower Defense should be an affront to legitimate homebrew devs. That guy accepted donations, and then still cancelled the game anyway. It's been defunct ever since (over a year). How does anybody supporting that not feel cheated? It shouldn't even be eligible for cash, if anything he should have refunded people's money.

But yeah, I think they should hold off and nothing older than a certain date should be a candidate. Stuff like Still Alive and Crocodingus have already won and it's going to be boring if they top again.

14. Pizzaroo

Member Pizzaroo douchebag

United States
    I hope Mario Paint Composer DS gets in there because I've known BassAceGold (the creator of MPCDS) since he moderated a rom site's forums [​IMG]

15. davidtube

United Kingdom
    I can say that BassAceGold is doing well. He's definitely in the top 20 anyway. Check the site for a little update on the R4 Contest if you're interested.

16. davidtube

United Kingdom
    I'm showing the first batch of votes on the site now if your interested to see how the voting is going. I've also given a bit of an update on what's happened since the first lot of votes.