R4 is being showing, but not loading

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Argentlan, Mar 12, 2016.

?

You managed to re enabled successfully R4?

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Argentlan
    OP

Argentlan GBAtemp Regular

Oct 27, 2015
    Brazil
    I'm on 10.6 Emunand
    I tried downgrade TWL to 4.0, installed DS white list and twl slot 1 launcher
    nothing works but it is still showing on homemenu so I guess it have to work
    any help?

the R4 was working on 6.0.0-12U

2. Supster131

Supster131 (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ *:・゚✧

Jan 19, 2016
    United States
    My Computer
    You sure you have the proper files in the SD card for the R4?

3. Argentlan
    OP

Oct 27, 2015
    Brazil
    yes, it is launching from outdated Sysnand, but I want in emunand

4. Supster131

Supster131 (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ *:・゚✧

Jan 19, 2016
    United States
    My Computer
    Try using the patched TWL_FIRM, rather than a downgraded version of it.

Should be in the CFW section of that iso site, uploaded by Aurora Wright. Install it to your emuNAND's NAND.

5. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    you shouldnt need to use any TWL downgrading or TWL slot launcher as long as your cfw supports TWL_Firm launching then just the whitelist downgrade would be enough

6. Apache Thunder

Apache Thunder I have cameras in your head!

Oct 7, 2007
    United States
    Levelland, Texas
    Depends...What version of R4 you are referring to?

If it's the original R4 (or a close clone of it that uses the same kernel files) then this is the only way you'll be able to run it:

R4 Stage2 TWL Flashcart Launcher(and perhaps other cards soon™)....

It's different from my TWL Slot-1 Launcher. It's a stage2 launcher that works for specific cards. In this case the two working launchers I've made thus far are for M3DS and original R4. You still are limited to FAT16 and 2GB and less MicroSD cards for the R4 though. (not sure about M3 requirements)

But it has been confirmed to work by a lot of R4 owners.

The reason the original R4 doesn't boot isn't just because of blocks in TWL_FIRM (and those have been patched out if you are using a prepatched TWL_FIRM or latest build of rxTools). It's because the arm7 code/ram entry address settings in the cart's header point to an addresse that's part of shared IWRAM. For some reason TWL_FIRM Process9 or one of the other sections of FIRM in TWL_FIRM block SRLs from launching if they try to use that address space. Hence a lot of the older flashcarts still fail to boot even with all the current TWL_FIRM patches.

Currently the only way around this is to patch arm7 binary of the SRL and change the arm7 code/ram entry settings in the header to point to a location that's allowed. The protection on IWRAM is only at launch. Once the SRL is launched, Process9 is gone so you are free to "move" arm7 back to the correct address. Which is what Fix94 has managed to do. He made a patcher that adds a payload stub to any arm7 binary so that it gets bumped back to the correct address post launch. But doing this doesn't gurantee making a working launcher though. Some flashcarts are picky and won't launch via a launcher even if they are patched to boot correctly. Then there's some that have integrity checks like CycloDS. I managed to get a launcher for that to work and access the card, but it has it's own integrity check. Since the SRL has to be modified to boot, it will always fail this check and force you to install the update.evo file. :(

If only the actual shared IWRAM protection block was patched out though. It would allow all flashcarts to work with just my TWL Slot-1 Launcher. Wouldn't that be nice? Ask @FIX94 . @Steveice10 , or @TuxSH . Fix94 was responsible for the Arm7 patch. TuxSH and Steveice10 were responsible for the TWL_FIRM patches everyone now uses. We really only need one more patch. It's either going to be in Process9 or one of the other two sections in FIRM. (though unlikely to be in TwlBg. That's usually launched after Process9 has left memory since that contains the launcher SRL. Once the launcher SRL loads, it would have already accepted the SRL for launch. Launch failures with error has occured screen occur before the launcher SRL ever gets the chance to start)

Last edited by Apache Thunder, Mar 12, 2016
    Supster131 likes this.
  7. Argentlan
    OP

Oct 27, 2015
    Brazil
    It WORKED! thanks a million :)

also thanks to @Apache Thunder for explanatory post

Last edited by Argentlan, Mar 12, 2016