mike1984

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
So i've been looking for a new R4 and dealextreme and gameyeeeah both have em for pretty cheap. Obviously these are the clones. What is the difference between the clones and the original? Will they still perform great with the DS games? How about firmware update? Can I use the ones from the original r4 site?

MFDC12

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no offense, but why the r4? the r4 is the worse card on the market now.
anyways, the clones are cheap knockoffs that have the potential to blow a fuse in your ds.
they have the same compatability as the r4. they probably will never have firmware updates as the original r4 does not have any updates anymore. and no, you must use the firmware that is on the clone's site.

im not sure if this is true but i remember reading that most sdhc clones dont read data after 4gb is on a card (on a sdhc >8gb)

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Firstly, why you'd want a real R4 nevermind a fake one is beyond me because there are cards which are cheaper and better available and the R4 is now obsolete in terms on support and continued firmware updates. I'm not trashing the R4, if you've already got one and it does everything you want I can fully understand not bothering to upgrade because it's still a decent bit of kit. But buying one now is pretty silly.

But since you asked, it depends what mean by "fake" or "clone". The fake ones are essentially the same as the R4 but made by an unauthorised manufacturer and so they should work with R4 firmware but the quality is a lottery. But many cards branded with the R4 name (R4-III, R4SDHC etc) are actually clones of other cards such as the N-Card and as such have pretty much zero to do with the R4 other than the name. Which begs the question of why you don't just buy the card they're a clone of in the first place? Is it really that important that it has "R4" on the label?

leslieliang

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
There is no such thing as OBVIOUSLY THESE ARE CLONES. You can't be sure if they sell real products or not. Just because the production of R4 was ceased in July 08 doesn't mean stock doesn't exists.

I just bought 3 R4 from dealwoot.com for 16 bucks a piece, 2 days ago. When I compared it to the official statement made by the R4 Team, it met the requirements for a real R4. Now I don't know if dealextreme or gameyeeeah has any real R4 in stock, but if I were you, I would try dealwoot.

This is the only real looking R4 from Dealextreme and it has no ratings.
This is the only real looking R4 from gamyeeeah and I can not tell you if gameyeeeah is trustable or not. Never used them before, but this site does have five 5 star ravings.

PettingZoo

yesss
Trophies
Website
iancoulton.com
XP
Country
R4 = Epic Fail, get a better cart. Try browsing this forum about what cart suits you best
smileipb2.png

leslieliang

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
R4 suits me best. Since all of my friends just ordered the R4 with me on the same day. I've read that R4 has download play compatibility with other flashcarts, but not other R4, so we all decided to get the R4 and we all love it!

davislim

Trophies
Website
davis91lim.ndsthemes.com
XP
Country
Senegal
yeah it is great BUT not now....it had stopped upgrading firmware n manufacturing so if you r to get any of its clone rite nw...you r losing out new games tat it canot support due to not updating (currently none)

many new n better flashcart can be found n r continuing updating
get those that still updates instead of those that stopped
smile.gif

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
LiangJai said:
R4 suits me best. Since all of my friends just ordered the R4 with me on the same day. I've read that R4 has download play compatibility with other flashcarts, but not other R4, so we all decided to get the R4 and we all love it!

Uh... If you're using download play you're only using one flashcart anyway so 'compatibility' is irrelevant

gokuguy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just got an R4 Vol. 2 from Gamebay for Christmas, & i love it. It is the easiest thing i have used. If you do get one, get it from Gamebay.com. Free shipping & a price of $20, not sure if its a clone or not (confused by many answers that were posted when i asked), but it works like the real thing with R4 firmware 1.18. The R4 firmware itself isnt being updated anymore, but the YSMenu is (search it up if u dont know what it is). I use the R4sauto method for both firmwares, & with both of them, every game i have tried has worked. The newest game i have tried & play is probably Phantasy Star Zero (J), works great on R4 & YSMenu. EVERY game i have thrown at the R4 1.18 firmware has worked. So if u do decide to get one, I dont know about the other flash carts, just use the R4sauto method & update ysmenu every time its updated.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/nUrYC-wHwzQ?si=CIF5SWwWIx4sXmqH