Quickest way to hack 2DS

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by kiais, Mar 1, 2017.

1. kiais
    OP

kiais Member

Newcomer
    Mar 1, 2017
    United States
    So I've been successful with the guide over at https://3ds.guide/ but noticed many time consuming back and forth steps and I mean of course there is a pay off =] but I was wondering if there is a quicker way to do it if I want to do for family members & friends. Just wondering the current firmware im starting from is 11.0.0

2. Alex658

Alex658 GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 4, 2010
    Venezuela
    Venezuela
    No. It's that long for a reason. (Also, it's a MUCH shorter version than the one we used to have when a9lh first came out, so be grateful for that).
    It has that many steps due to security checks in place. Because one slight screw up can BRICK your console(s).

3. Pacheko17

Pacheko17 かっこい男の子

Jan 31, 2015
    Brazil
    Somewhere in the south
    There isn't.

4. TheVinAnator

TheVinAnator GBATemp's Greatest Vin

Jan 10, 2016
    Canada
    NO COFFEI!
    That is and always will be your quickest way. The only way to make it quicker I'd skip the part setting up some apps after installing A9LH, not making some backups and if on N3DS use OTP less method but all of these have a good chance of screwing you over. So no not really 3ds.guide will always be the best and quickest way.

5. Alex658

Alex658 GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 4, 2010
    Venezuela
    Venezuela
    Which shouldn't even be suggestions, the idea of the guide is minimizing the chance of possible screw-ups as low as possible...

TheVinAnator likes this.
  6. kiais
    OP

kiais Member

Newcomer
    Mar 1, 2017
    United States
    Thanks for the feedback and advice, that was fast! I'll do it the long way to minimize my chance of doing something wrong

TheVinAnator likes this.
  7. gamemasteru03

gamemasteru03 Nintendo nerd

Sep 18, 2016
    United States
    Well techinically there is a short way called otpless method but it has a small chance of bricking so it got removed from the guide.

kiais likes this.
  8. Hayleia

Hayleia GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 26, 2015
    France
    Btw, it's not necessarily that time consuming. Yeah, it may take time to complete but it's mostly time that your console uses to validate stuff and write stuff. You are free to do something else in the meantime (just keep it plugged and don't close the lid (which is hard to do on a 2DS but this is a general comment)).

kiais likes this.
  9. Alex658

Alex658 GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 4, 2010
    Venezuela
    Venezuela
    No matter what, don't system format your 2DS while on 2.1 or anything lower than 6.x.

kiais likes this.
  10. kiais
    OP

kiais Member

Newcomer
    Mar 1, 2017
    United States
    Yeah your absolutely right, I think the first couple of times I did it I was just doing it slowly and being weary of what I was doing and getting easily distracted. I thought there would be an updated version I wasn't aware of (more or less like a drag and drop) and I wanted to make sure this is still the foolproof way of doing it. I'm grateful there is a way to even hack the 3ds and have something like the freeshop readily available. I haven't been on this forum in like 6-7 years since the original ds flashcard/homebrew scene, so it's nice to be back.

Last edited by kiais, Mar 1, 2017
    Hayleia likes this.
  11. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ ☠️Grunt☠️

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    Really? Back when I first started it took over 4 hours to step up. Now it takes maybe 30 minutes. You kids are so god damn spoiled, just be happy that we were able to get it down to 30 minutes. You didn't have to spend 4 hours setting it up!
    Actually that's not really faster anymore. Since we've gotten rid of the downgrade to 9.2 process. Basically it's now about the same amount of time. Just downgrade straight to 2.1 and install A9LH. Then upgrade back to your old OFW. It's the same process and basically the same amount of time spent.

Last edited by Lilith Valentine, Mar 1, 2017
    Quantumcat likes this.
  12. windhazard

windhazard GBAtemp Regular

Mar 23, 2016
    Germany
    After the first time you can put every relevant files in a folder and use it for later install (just remember to delete the OTP.bin). No need to follow it step by step when you know what you are doing. It took me at most 30 mins (10 for backup, 5 for CTR Transfer and another 10 for restoring said backup) per console. Most of the time was letting it run by itself too.

Last edited by windhazard, Mar 1, 2017
  13. Alex658

Alex658 GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 4, 2010
    Venezuela
    Venezuela
    Be wary of loose OTPs that may reside in the folders, if you do that...
    Using another device's OTP will BRICK you.

Colombian guy's tutorial, anyone?

14. windhazard

Mar 23, 2016
    Germany
    That's the first thing you should know when I say "if you know what you are doing".

kiais likes this.
  15. Alex658

Alex658 GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 4, 2010
    Venezuela
    Venezuela
    You'd be surprised...
    That's why i felt the need to spell it out anyway, even if it was obvious.

16. windhazard

Mar 23, 2016
    Germany
    True, i'll edit that post.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Can we just run SafeA9LHInstaller payload using safehax on 11.2? I've never tried it but on theory it should be possible cause of the arm9 exploit right?

kiais likes this.
  17. kiais
    OP

kiais Member

Newcomer
    Mar 1, 2017
    United States
    I have a vague idea, but I'm not gonna rush it until I'm in bed with the terminology or get a better grasp on things but basically after I do it again I can use the files as an outline to make it quicker but be cautious of any device specific files like the OTP that Alex mentioned.

Edit; and yeah it's obvious but I wouldn't have thought about it without a precaution, so it's nice to have supportive and informative people help/inform me

Last edited by kiais, Mar 1, 2017
  18. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ ☠️Grunt☠️

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    I've read people say they were going to do it, but never heard anything past that. It should in theory work. Being that the systems I've been hacking aren't testing systems, I am not willing to test it. I do have systems set aside to test stuff, but I don't have a new3DS set aside to test potentially risky stuff like that.

Last edited by Lilith Valentine, Mar 1, 2017
    Quantumcat and kiais like this.
  19. Alex658

Alex658 GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 4, 2010
    Venezuela
    Venezuela
    You'd need your device's OTP to be already dumped for that theory to work. Since on FW +3.0 the OTP region is already locked.
    That wouldn't really help for new installs...
    Except you mean OTPless which is N3ds exclusive anyway.

20. windhazard

Mar 23, 2016
    Germany
    Yeah I was quoting the post talking about otpless. If we can do that, it should take less than 1 min on 11.2.