Quick A9LH installation Question

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by alphanator, Nov 3, 2016.

1. alphanator
    OP

alphanator Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 13, 2016
    United States
    In the middle of installing A9LH and it says to delete my '000008f' in my (32 Character ID) folder but I have 3 (32 Chara. ID) folders so I have 3 "000008f". So Is there a specific one I must do or should I do all of them.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Ar5chK3ks

Ar5chK3ks GBAtemp Regular

Mar 14, 2016
    Gambia, The
    Shouldn't hurt to delete all of them.
    I assume you don't want to use an emuNAND after the guide?
    If so, you can delete them, install any cia after you completed the guide and look which folder got bigger.
    You can delete the other 2 folders, since the one that got bigger is the one currently linked to your sysNAND.

3. alphanator
    OP

Newcomer
    Mar 13, 2016
    United States
    Im a noob at this stuff so what is emuNAND exactly and Do I want it??

4. Cralex

Cralex GBAtemp Regular

Jul 29, 2016
    United States
    emuNAND is basically a copy of your 3DS NAND (the chip containing it's operating system) that you can keep on your SD card and boot from instead of your sysNAND, which is the one that's actually on your 3DS. It's fine to have one, but A9LH is so nice nowadays that I wouldn't bother setting one up.

People used to use them more when it was dangerous to update your system or when it was more likely to mess things up. Now it's more of a redundancy thing. A couple disadvantages in using one are it takes longer to boot from it and certain things, like gameboy advance games, won't work unless they are installed on both.

Last edited by Cralex, Nov 3, 2016
  5. ih8ih8sn0w

ih8ih8sn0w Koreaboo

Aug 22, 2015
    United States
    Hell
    There is no real point in having emunand with a9lh. Especially if you are starting fresh.

6. alphanator
    OP

Newcomer
    Mar 13, 2016
    United States
    Now another quick one, must I really delete the "3ds" folder on the root of the sd card? Can't I just keep the one that is already on there. It has, for the most part, majority of the same files.

7. Blue_Mew

Blue_Mew Team Skull ☠️Grunt☠️

Oct 2, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Faraway Island
    You are later going to put a new one back there after.

8. alphanator
    OP

Newcomer
    Mar 13, 2016
    United States
    Almost finished :) But this part is where it confuses me on whether or not Im supposed to do it.

Section IV - Restoring the System
    1. If you are an Old 3DS or 2DS user who has done 2.1.0 ctrtransfer, do the following:
      • Copy NANDmin.bin to the /files9/ folder on your SD card
      • If your backup is of a version between 4.0.0 and 4.5.0, put firmware.bin - in /luma/ (delete this file after updating your 3DS)
      • Open Hourglass9 from arm9loaderhax by holding (Start) on boot
      • Go to “SysNAND Backup/Restore”
      • Restore from NANDmin.bin
      • Press (Start) to reboot
    2. Update your 3DS again by going to System Settings, then “Other Settings”, then going all the way to the right and using “System Update”
      • Yes this is safe, stop asking about it.
      • If this gives you an error, set your DNS settings to “auto”

After that is Section V - Injecting FBI

So since I have a New3DSXL can I skip Section IV completely?

Last edited by alphanator, Nov 4, 2016
  9. KunoichiZ

KunoichiZ GBAtemp Guru

Mar 16, 2012
    United States
    Remove that firmware.bin link, please. I'm assuming you did the OTPless A9LH installation? If you did, you can skip Section IV since it doesn't concern you.