Hacking Questions before starting

Blueberry57

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi everyone, I've been reading lots of guides and threads about CFW before I do anything to my switch, and I'm down to two questions before I'm ready to start.

If I put CFW on emunand, install my physical games to my sd card, then boot into sysnand, can I play these games at all without the carts? Or can they only be played in emunand/CFW? If they can be played on sysnand, is it safe to play them online and/or get DLC or game updates? (Well, is it probably safe or definitely unsafe?)

My 256 gb sd card is exfat. Should I change to fat32? I've seen people say exfat can have issues, but I've already used this in my switch to store games. It's the nintendo one with the star on it if that matters.

Blueberry57

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok so that's why incognito and things like that are important, to be safe(er) to go online with emunand. In that case, is it possible to get DLC/updates on emunand? I guess I mean on the eshop. I've heard of tinfoil/HBG shop, but would prefer the eshop if it's possible.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Ok so that's why incognito and things like that are important, to be safe(er) to go online with emunand. In that case, is it possible to get DLC/updates on emunand? I guess I mean on the eshop. I've heard of tinfoil/HBG shop, but would prefer the eshop if it's possible.
You can't connect to Nintendo servers on your CFW NAND, you'll get banned. That's why stuff like Incognito/90DNS exists...

Blueberry57

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can't connect to Nintendo servers on your CFW NAND, you'll get banned. That's why stuff like Incognito/90DNS exists...
Not sure if you mean incognito helps with connecting to nintendo servers, or to just never do it at all, ever. I'll still setup incognito, but it sounds like everything being banned prevents me from doing is the same stuff I have to avoid doing to not get banned, so not sure what the point is.

Anyway, all I really want to make sure of is how I'll get updates/DLC. For example, when the final smash character comes out, I assume there will quickly be a .nsp to download for that on tinfoil, HBG, or somewhere else?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Not sure if you mean incognito helps with connecting to nintendo servers, or to just never do it at all, ever. I'll still setup incognito, but it sounds like everything being banned prevents me from doing is the same stuff I have to avoid doing to not get banned, so not sure what the point is.

Anyway, all I really want to make sure of is how I'll get updates/DLC. For example, when the final smash character comes out, I assume there will quickly be a .nsp to download for that on tinfoil, HBG, or somewhere else?
Incognito (or PRODINFO blanking in Atmosphere which is the modern way of doing it) doesn't prevent the Switch from trying to connect to Nintendo servers but Nintendo servers themselves reject the connection because the Switch can't be recognized.
DNS blocking completely prevents the console from connecting to Nintendo servers.
In either case the goal is the same, preventing the console from calling home and letting Nintendo know your console is hacked, while still being able to go online in homebrew to use pirate shops, network installs of NSPs, and any other homebrew that might need online like Amiigo does for updating the Amiibo list.
Pirate shops and gdrive stashes like HBG are the best way to get updates/DLC. They update quickly.
Actually you can with AquaticDNS, but it's still quite risky because there is still a risk of getting banned.
That seems to have a lot of caveats and in any case will surely lead to a ban eventually. I wouldn't trust it.

Deleted member 550701

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
That seems to have a lot of caveats and in any case will surely lead to a ban eventually. I wouldn't trust it.
Yeah you're right, you're probably gonna get banned with it sooner or later because it offers worse protection than 90DNS. But if you really wanna play Online or access the eShop on CFW than it is an option.

Blueberry57

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well after all my effort trying to know what I'm doing, I can't get any of my game carts to install.

Used DBI (MTP responder) to dump game cart XCI file to PC, then install it. Everything looks good until I try to start the game.The microsd card data is corrupted.

Tried the same with NSP file. The microsd card data is corrupted.

Used NXdumptool to dump NSP to sd card, then went into tinfoil to install it. The microsd card data is corrupted.

Used tinfoil to install the game cart directly. The microsd card data is corrupted.

I'm using emuMMC, SD card is 256gb fat32. Using applet version of tinfoil cause the main one didnt work even though I got what are clearly the most recent sigpatches.

Blueberry57

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've figured out how to download a game from a shop, it works, then backup the NSP on my PC through DBI, delete it from the switch, then reinstall through DBI and it runs again.
It all makes sense, except anything I dump from my own carts doesn't work, it keeps saying it's corrupted when I try to launch it. This seems like it should be the easy part, but I've tried several apps for both dumping and installing but it never works.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've figured out how to download a game from a shop, it works, then backup the NSP on my PC through DBI, delete it from the switch, then reinstall through DBI and it runs again.
It all makes sense, except anything I dump from my own carts doesn't work, it keeps saying it's corrupted when I try to launch it. This seems like it should be the easy part, but I've tried several apps for both dumping and installing but it never works.
Try using Gamecard Installer NX

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, I'm good. Thanks.