Questions about playing wads from SD

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by joshwill80, Jun 9, 2009.

Jun 9, 2009
  1. joshwill80
    OP

Newcomer joshwill80 Advanced Member

United States
    Hello all,

I'm new to Wii hacking, and I've got most of it figured out, but I'm having trouble understanding how playing wads from the SD card works. Some background info:

-New Wii with system menu 4.0. Using 4.0 so that I can play WiiWare/VC games from the SD card, instead of the Wii's onboard memory (my collection is over 512 mb)
    -Running a D2Pro modchip in the system

What's the process for playing wads from the SD card if you have system menu 4.0 and a modchip installed? From what I understand you have to install the wads temporarily onto the Wii's onboard memory first (using Wad Manager, launched through the HBC), then install them back onto your SD card, then you can delete them off you Wii's onboard memory. When you run them through your SD card, the Wii temporarily places the game you want to play in the Wi''s memory, it does not actually run off of the SD card. Do I have all that right?

What I'm wondering is if there is a simpler way to just play the wads directly off of the SD card in the first place. Maybe since I'm using a modchip? Or maybe there is some kind of hack that will let you play wads directly off of a SD card?

2. FenrirWolf

Member FenrirWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    You've got the idea right. You install a wad and then you move it to the SD card (no need to copy and delete, just move) and it appears in the SD Menu. That's the only way for it to work right now and it's really not that much of a hassle.

You have to install a trucha-patched IOS60 for them to work, but that's a simple google search away.

3. joshwill80
    OP

United States
    Thanks for the reply. Is the HBC and Wad Manager still needed? And what exactly is the patched IOS60, a hacked system menu 4.0?

4. ineedhelpbad

Newcomer ineedhelpbad Advanced Member

United States
    yes hbc and wad manager is still needed. ios is the closest thing to a firmware for the wii. a patched ios 60 lets you play your wiiware that you installed from wads use this to install it if your wii is online

5. joshwill80
    OP

United States
    OK was reading up on the patched IOS60 some and many people install Waninkoko's firmware 4.0 before patching IOS60. But that's only for softmods, so I can skip installing that firmware since I have a modchip? I want to just update to 4.0 through Nintendo, if needed?

Also wondering what the difference is between the official firmware and Waninkoko's?

6. joshwill80
    OP

United States
    Just trying to understand if I need to install Waninkoko's firmware + the patched IOS60, or just the patched IOS60 on a Wii with a modchip? Don't want to end up bricking my Wii.

7. manias

Member manias GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    the ONLY thing a modchip does, is enable running burned dvd's. that's it. doesn't do squat to channels, wads, anything.
    IOS60 changed, not allowing you to run trucha-patched channels from sd.. installing an older ios60 will.
    Take extreme care if ur using preloader, as many get a semi brick when they change ios60 out from under it. to fix that they need to reinstall preloader (it apparently still runs, but the wii menu doesn't or whatever.. i don't use preloader tho long live bootmii)

8. Tux'

Member Tux' GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    Heh, I tried using a patched ios60 while using preloader, it definately leads to semi brick. Long live bootmii. I use preloader for skip disc updates though. That's all I use it for [​IMG]

9. manias

Netherlands
    hehe yeah I wonder if u also get that semibrick with starpatch [​IMG]

10. Tux'

Member Tux' GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    I haven't a clue. Does starpatch run off of ios60? Then yes it probably would [​IMG]

11. beegee7730

Banned beegee7730 ITS PAAFEKUTO!

United Kingdom
    I like how he says "maybe because I have a modchip?" like it is some messiah.

12. joshwill80
    OP

United States
    Oh ffs man, I did not mean it that way. Just trying to understand a little better. Anyway, from what I understand I just need to patch IOS60? I would rather not have to install Waninkoko's firmware if it's not needed.

13. manias

Netherlands
    ? waninkoko did not make a firmware he made an installer that just installs 4.0 ios's on your system, it downloads them from nintendo [​IMG] so yeah, as I said, ios 60

14. joshwill80
    OP

United States
    Ah ok, a lot of sites are calling it firmware. If it just installs the IOS's from nintendo , then how does it help a user keep homebrew working versus just downloading system menu 4 directly from nintendo? And thanks for your help [​IMG]

15. Teh H4rRy

Member Teh H4rRy GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I've got cIOS38_rev13b installed for my USB loader GX, if i used a IOS60 patch, could i then use my downloaded Wiiware WADS, install them with WAD manager, and move them to my SD card, and PLAY them off the SD card? Will it interfere with it at all?

16. Alexrose

Member Alexrose Untitled

United Kingdom
    You don't have to be a prick to everyone.

17. Teh H4rRy

Member Teh H4rRy GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Anyone care to help me out? I am on Wii 4.1E and i use WAD manager to install Wads (huur hurr) like wiiware wads and that, but obviously i am running short on system memory, Is it safe for me to use this IOS60 thingy so i can install my Wads on my Wii then move them to my SD card and make use of the SD card loader in 4.0?