Questions about Android on Switch

Andorin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi there,
I’m about to travel a lot so I filled my switch with plenty of switch games and retro games on one SD card and filled another sd card with PS1 games and Android on it.

I have few questions concerning my second sd card with Android on it:

1/ Is it “dangerous” to switch between SD cards while in Hekate for my Switch ?

2/ Does running Android damage the Switch in any way ?

3/ Running Android drains battery life while playing Ps1 through DuckStstion faster than usual ?

Thanks.

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well changing SD cards while in Nintendo firmware will instantly restart the system and might corrupt your card. But this is a non-issue in Hekate, as long as you aren't actively using the USB access tool. Its made to gracefully handle SD swaps. Some people have reported that the SD card holder itself is flimsy and can break after tons of card changes though.

If you're worried about damage, maybe avoid using max performance setting while undocked. Even then there probably won't be anything dangerous in the short term with temps and such, just maybe the long term with the battery draining too quickly. I tend to use the second highest setting for performance.

If all you want is duckstation though, be sure to check out Lakka 3.0, it's a much simpler setup and faster boot, can even fit on the same SD card, and performance under vulkan should be similar.

Andorin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Well changing SD cards while in Nintendo firmware will instantly restart the system and might corrupt your card. But this is a non-issue in Hekate, as long as you aren't actively using the USB access tool. Its made to gracefully handle SD swaps. Some people have reported that the SD card holder itself is flimsy and can break after tons of card changes though.

If you're worried about damage, maybe avoid using max performance setting while undocked. Even then there probably won't be anything dangerous in the short term with temps and such, just maybe the long term with the battery draining too quickly. I tend to use the second highest setting for performance.

If all you want is duckstation though, be sure to check out Lakka 3.0, it's a much simpler setup and faster boot, can even fit on the same SD card, and performance under vulkan should be similar.
Thank you very much for that kindly and precise answer.
Ps1 emulation through Android and Duckstation is perfect. Just literally perfect. I’m a big PS1 nerd and perfection in terms of fluidity, sound and video is very important for me.
How is emulation through Lakka for PS1? As good as duckstation for Android ?

Thank you again.

zerofalcon

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi there,
I’m about to travel a lot so I filled my switch with plenty of switch games and retro games on one SD card and filled another sd card with PS1 games and Android on it.

I have few questions concerning my second sd card with Android on it:

1/ Is it “dangerous” to switch between SD cards while in Hekate for my Switch ?

2/ Does running Android damage the Switch in any way ?

3/ Running Android drains battery life while playing Ps1 through DuckStstion faster than usual ?

Thanks.
1. Switch's SD card port is so fragile that swaping a lot can break it.
2. Android cant harm the switch
3. While using normal clocks it can last up to 4hours playing ps1 emulators.

Reactions: binkinator

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just make sure your SD card is U3. I had a U1 card before, and it took kind of long to load an Android game that I like to play. U3 made it much faster.

Reactions: binkinator

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah you don't want to be regularly swapping SD cards in your Switch, the way the daughter board holding the SD slot is attached to the main board is prone to failure after too much jiggling. The safest option if you're going to swap between OSes regularly is to have everything on partitions of one SD card - Hekate has a feature to set this up.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-