(Question) Hardmod + NAND Backup (Pure Image)

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by SirECK, Jan 7, 2017.

1. SirECK
    OP

SirECK GBAtemp Fan

Jul 1, 2009
    Canada
    Ontario, Canada
    Hi all

I got a question and I was hoping anyone with hardmod experience can give me their 2₵.
    I'm planning on modding a brand new 2DS but I was thinking, is it recommended to do the initial setup first or can I do the hardmod, then do the NAND dump, then to the setup and continue with A9LH?
    I ask because I'm curious and want to know if there is such a thing as a Pure NAND image.

2. x65943

x65943 Resident Greekaboo, Amateur Dog Father

Jun 23, 2014
    United States
    Indiana
    I don't have experience myself, but because the whole point is just taking an image of the nand, yes you can take that image whenever you want - and restore it whenever you want.

This should make a "pure" image.

3. SirECK
    OP

SirECK GBAtemp Fan

Jul 1, 2009
    Canada
    Ontario, Canada
    Thanks for the reply.

x65943 likes this.
  4. Icirrus

Icirrus GBAtemp Regular

Sep 14, 2015
    Somewhere close to my 3DS
    Yes, just incase of issues with the process make a NANDbackup prior to the hardmod. A hardmod doesn't change any software so it doesn't need to be before it but in some instances I have modded my 3DS and caused it not to boot but restoring the nand has fixed that.

5. SirECK
    OP

SirECK GBAtemp Fan

Jul 1, 2009
    Canada
    Ontario, Canada
    Can I ask what happened exactly that caused you to need to restore the NAND?

6. Icirrus

Icirrus GBAtemp Regular

Sep 14, 2015
    I had hardmodded my console and when I went to boot it just had a black screen but I was able to get to the Decrypt9 menu (I had installed the A9HL before hand) so I just restored and it loaded up. Granted my no boot error may be unrelated to my hardmodding but it did happen just after I had finished the mod

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Also please quote when you reply so people are aware that you are talking to them

7. SirECK
    OP

SirECK GBAtemp Fan

Jul 1, 2009
    Canada
    Ontario, Canada
    I do click the quote button but it doesn't take. Thanks for the Info.
    I guess I will do a Semi-Pure image now that soundhax/fasthax is out.

Attached Files:

Last edited by SirECK, Jan 7, 2017
  8. Icirrus

Icirrus GBAtemp Regular

Sep 14, 2015
    Click reply instead

9. SirECK
    OP

SirECK GBAtemp Fan

Jul 1, 2009
    Canada
    Ontario, Canada
    Well aren't I an idiot. :rofl2:

10. Icirrus

Icirrus GBAtemp Regular

Sep 14, 2015
    Also as a precaution I would suggest making sure you know exactly what you are doing when hardmodding as it is possible to brick your console if you don't know what you're doing. I would suggest to seek out a few members who do hardmodding as a service and keep them in mind just incase you don't feel comfortable doing it

11. SirECK
    OP

SirECK GBAtemp Fan

Jul 1, 2009
    Canada
    Ontario, Canada
    Thanks for the info. But I am willing to take the risk. I have done soldering before although im not the best at it I have read guides, watched videos.etc and feel quite confident. I have ordered a bit of quality equipment and other stuff as I do plan on getting into the field as a hobby. I will practice on something else for a while before I attempt this as I'm in no hurry. Thanks for the concern but I am no armature to electronic PCB's, just the soldering PCB's.:D

Last edited by SirECK, Jan 10, 2017
  12. SirECK
    OP

SirECK GBAtemp Fan

Jul 1, 2009
    Canada
    Ontario, Canada
    Completed the hardmod and I didn't fuck it up :D

x65943 likes this.