Question about Wiikey2

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by Rezel, Mar 15, 2009.

Mar 15, 2009

Question about Wiikey2 by Rezel at 9:25 PM (842 Views / 0 Likes) 4 replies

1. Rezel
    OP

Newcomer Rezel Member

Sweden
    I don't know if this is in the right category, hopefully it is.
    I've searched a little but I haven't found exactly what i'm looking for.
    I'm getting a Japanese Wii. Getting it cheap from a friend.
    But my question here is, will it let me play games from all regions with Wiikey 2?
    That's what I'm mostly after, to be able to buy and play games from all regions if I would like to do that.
    I have never gotten good answers on these questions before.

And will I still be able to use some of those homebrew stuff like the homebrew channel if my Wii is chipped?
    And will I be able to change the language of the machine?
    Hope to get some answers on this, thank you.

2. koji2009

Member koji2009 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I'm not sure if the japanese wii has any option on it to change the language written to english... it might, but I can't guarantee that.

Yes, the chip will work to let you play any NTSC game (US or Japanese) without any problems. There might be some problem with some pal games that need to be patched. One thing I suggest doing would be to use any region changer to change the whole system to US or PAL then you wouldn't have to worry about the original system language and what not.

When you first get the system and chip, you'll probably need to burn a copy of the japanese Twilight Princess so you can install the homebrew channel. From there, you should be able to do the rest in any of the many guides around this forum.

(edit) forgot to mention, if you use any region changer to change the system from NTSC-J to PAL, all pal games will work fine but you may have some problems playing NTSC-U or NTSC-J games on it. There are compatibility lists and workaround that work for 99% of games, but there may be the occasional odd ones that won't work or have lots of problems.

3. Rezel
    OP

Newcomer Rezel Member

Sweden
    Okay, that sounds really good? But how does this region changer work?
    And could you perhaps explain a little more how it changes the console to a PAL or NTSC-U console?
    Sorry, for all the questions. But I really don't know anything about stuff like this.
    Does the regionchanger change the region of the console or just the games? Then I have to burn games?

I'm not out to play downloaded games, I just want to be able to be able to import original NTSC-U & PAL games. (well not that I have to import PAL games, since I live in PAL land, but still you get the point)
    And homebrew and the use of emulators.
    Sorry again for all the questions.

4. Jdbye

Suspended Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

Norway
    You can't change the language without using AnyRegion Changer to change the region. Changing the region makes it identical to a wii of that other region, so it should work perfectly.

I would recommend to change the region to NTSC-U and not PAL since USA gets games before Europe.
    So in case a game you want comes out in USA and it doesn't work on PAL consoles, it'll still work.

NTSC-U consoles region changed to PAL might not always work that well because NTSC TVs usually don't support PAL. However PAL TVs (unless they're really old) always support NTSC, so you won't have any problems if you region change to NTSC-U.

All AnyRegion changer does is change the region flag on the wii and update the firmware to 3.2 of that region. Modchips make the games region free (but between NTSC and PAL, not 100%).

If you don't want to download games, all you really need is Gecko OS. (But of course it would be a good idea to region change the Wii anyway)

5. Rezel
    OP

Newcomer Rezel Member

Sweden
    So by using this region changer. I can get the Japanse Wii to be like a real NTSC-U console?
    Even use the US firmware on it? Just checking so I've fully understood this.
    Does that mean I can buy VC games from the US on it then too?
    And if it will become a real NTSC-U console, it will take every US game i buy without problem?
    Again just checking so I've understood everything.

Thanks to you both.

EDIT: Forgot to ask this also. If I should get a hold of a Japanese copy of Zelda TP, so I can make the TP hack.
    And change the region of the console to US. (Without chipping now) I can only play US games right?