Homebrew Question about CFW and System Formats

TonsofPuppies

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've dealt with various software issues whilst using the 3DS OS/software over the years and sometimes I've found that a quick System Format is the best way to resolve these issues. I've just recently discovered CFW and currently have 11.5 + B9S/Luma. If at some point in the future, I need to perform a system format, is it possible to do so without disrupting the CFW? What steps would I have to take to perform one whilst retaining my CFW and CIAs?

Posghetti

Un-official ReVeluv Leader
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Retaining your CIAs is impossible if you're going to do a System Format AFAIK due to your sysNAND/emuNAND being coded to work with "that" certain Nintendo 3DS folder made upon the initial boot of a new SD Card, again I might be wrong, haven't been in the scene for awhile.

As for your first question, yes you can. You can use an application called "TinyFormat" which formats your 3DS without formatting the SD Card (retain your CFW files and whatnot)

KunoichiZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Retaining your CIAs is impossible if you're going to do a System Format AFAIK due to your sysNAND/emuNAND being coded to work with "that" certain Nintendo 3DS folder made upon the initial boot of a new SD Card, again I might be wrong, haven't been in the scene for awhile.

As for your first question, yes you can. You can use an application called "TinyFormat" which formats your 3DS without formatting the SD Card (retain your CFW files and whatnot)
A system format will never retain the installed CIAs. Everything installed, everything that's not CFW files on the SD card that is, gets erased. You are correct on both points.

Last edited by KunoichiZ,
Reactions: Posghetti

TonsofPuppies

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
A system format will never retain the installed CIAs. Everything installed, everything that's not CFW files on the SD card that is, gets erased. You are correct on both points.

Thanks for the information. I would assume using the TinyFormat application is easier than doing a standard Format + reinstalling the erased files manually. For curiosity's sake, what files on the SD card get erased when you perform a standard System Format? Is there a special guide to follow to reinstall the files Manually (or is it just the standard 3ds.guide)? Sorry for all the questions, all of this is brand new to me.

KunoichiZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the information. I would assume using the TinyFormat application is easier than doing a standard Format + reinstalling the erased files manually. For curiosity's sake, what files on the SD card get erased when you perform a standard System Format? Is there a special guide to follow to reinstall the files Manually (or is it just the standard 3ds.guide)? Sorry for all the questions, all of this is brand new to me.
Everything, I would assume (I haven't done an official system format in forever), except for the Nintendo 3DS folder gets erased. To make your system boot again, you would need the latest Luma's boot.firm on your SD card, then follow 3ds.guide's Finalizing setup page to get your Homebrew and CIAs set up again.

Reactions: TR_mahmutpek

TonsofPuppies

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Everything, I would assume (I haven't done an official system format in forever), except for the Nintendo 3DS folder gets erased. To make your system boot again, you would need the latest Luma's boot.firm on your SD card, then follow 3ds.guide's Finalizing setup page to get your Homebrew and CIAs set up again.

Alright, that makes sense. Good info to have just in case I ever need to perform one. If I were to make a backup of the files and folders on my SD card, would that be an alternative than following the entire guide step by step again?

KunoichiZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, that makes sense. Good info to have just in case I ever need to perform one. If I were to make a backup of the files and folders on my SD card, would that be an alternative than following the entire guide step by step again?
You wouldn't need to follow the entire guide, only just the page I mentioned.

If you want to be able to boot your system without an SD card and don't know how, you'll have to follow Sectim VI - CTRNAND Luma3DS. If you need to know how to open the Rosalina menu to open FBI to install CIAs, you'll need to follow Section III - Launching FBI. If you already know how to do this stuff, ignore this and just copy+paste your files back (should you perform an official format) and get everything set up again.

TonsofPuppies

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You wouldn't need to follow the entire guide, only just the page I mentioned.

If you want to be able to boot your system without an SD card and don't know how, you'll have to follow Sectim VI - CTRNAND Luma3DS. If you need to know how to open the Rosalina menu to open FBI to install CIAs, you'll need to follow Section III - Launching FBI. If you already know how to do this stuff, ignore this and just copy+paste your files back (should you perform an official format) and get everything set up again.

Okay, thanks again, I'll keep this information handy should I need it in the future. :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, https://youtu.be/KaMSXIRReOo?si=2hRoijJtiwPUHXk5