Question about Anti-Piracy Patching with AKAIO

Discussion in 'Acekard' started by Drucifer, Sep 30, 2009.

Sep 30, 2009
  1. Drucifer
    OP

Newcomer Drucifer Member

Canada
    I am interested in getting a DS but I'm not sure if I want a DS Lite or DSi. I'm worried that if I do get a DSi Nintendo (like Sony) will continue to release firmware for the system that keeps preventing users from using flash cards. From what I've gathered they already did this with 1.4. I know there is a work around now but what about future updates? Will the next Nintendo update come and block them yet again?

With the option to upgrade the firmware basically Nintendo can continue to fight piracy with each new FW release like the PSP. Should I just get a DS Lite and not have to worry about anything?

Also what does the AKAIO Anti-Piracy Patching option do? Does it basically prevent users from accidently upgrading their DSi Firmware?

2. Pendor

Member Pendor GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    No.

It overrides AP checks in games.

3. Drucifer
    OP

Newcomer Drucifer Member

Canada
    Alright that clears that up.

So the question that remains is it worth getting a DSi if I will basically have to continue to worry about future Nintendo Firmware updates that I'm sure will be intended to block the use of flash cards. Would a DS Lite be the better choice since their is no way for Nintendo to block them?

4. phoenixclaws

Member phoenixclaws GBAtemp Fan

United States
    It depends on what you want. A DSL with DS and GBA cart port which can play any DS game and with a GBA cart can run any GBA game. Or a DSi with DSiWare, camera, and the ability to play both DS and DSi games.

There is the iPlayer DS Cart that is able to run GBA games because a person designed an emulator to utilize the internal CPU chip of the iPlayer cart. Although it doesn't load commercial DS/DSi games.

No carts are able to utilize the DSi Mode of the DSi, just the DS Mode which means no carts run DSi games or DSiWare from the cart. Most carts are now able to run the DS mode on a DS/i hybrid game though.

5. Drucifer
    OP

Newcomer Drucifer Member

Canada
    Thanks.

So DSi offers cameras (which I hear suck anyway), DSiWare (not really interested), and possibly DSi games (can't imagine there being too many DSi specific games but maybe just games that use features of the DSi such as the camera.

DS Lite might not offer what DSi has but it has GBA support and no worries of possible flash card blocks by Nintendo.

I think I'll just get a DS Lite.