Homebrew PSX Emulator - Is it possible?

Ricj

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have some things in my mind about this...

The wii can emulate N64 games (which, in theory, require more processing than PSX games. Since the PSX is 32 bits and the N64 is 64 bits ). Also, there was a Emulator that allowed people to play PSX games on Dreamcast (which was a 128 bit system, it was Bleem). Also, people already can homebrew emulators into the Wii, and the scene is so advanced that today you can play most games out there using nothing but a SD card to provide you with the tools for backup play.

So, it got me thinking. PSX emulators are fairly powerfull, and today, the tools avaliable are tons much more powerfull than the tools that were around back then...

So, do you think that it would be possible to Homebrew a solution that would allow people to play Playstation 1 Isos on their Wii systems?

Nekkoru

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Can you explain to me how are you supposed to play the games when the Gamecube controller has less buttons than the PSX one?

Plus, it doesn't have clickable analogs, which makes some games (Medal Of Honor) unplayable...

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Nekkoru said:
Can you explain to me how are you supposed to play the games when the Gamecube controller has less buttons than the PSX one?

Plus, it doesn't have clickable analogs, which makes some games (Medal Of Honor) unplayable...
Oh well, see the PSP, it has only 1 analog and 4 buttons less, but you can play almost everything on it.

BTW, the Classic Controller should play PSX games fine. 2 Analogs, 1 Digital and 10 buttons, without counting the Home button.

The PSX pad had 2 Analogs, 1 Digital and 10 buttons, excluding R3 and L3, but they're rarely used.

If you really need them, just remap the buttons (it'll probably have a control remapping option), remove some button you don't need, and place R3 and/or L3 on them, and you're set.

Raylene2K7

Trophies
XP
Country
Jamaica
Nekkoru said:

like Z+R for "R2" and Z+L for "L2", Z+Start for "Select" and Z+left/right for "L3"/"R3"
.. emulators let you change button configuration so THIS is not a problem, not at all

oh and btw - you can even play SNES games with the Wiimote only with Snes9x - the L+R buttons are mising but you don't need them for many games. You could play many PSX games with wiimote only too (like Ridge Racer)

Nekkoru

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Raylene2K7 said:
like Z+R for "R2" and Z+L for "L2", Z+Start for "Select" and Z+left/right for "L3"/"R3"
.. emulators let you change button configuration so THIS is not a problem, not at all

oh and btw - you can even play SNES games with the Wiimote only with Snes9x - the L+R buttons are mising but you don't need them for many games. You could play many PSX games with wiimote only too (like Ridge Racer)

That is a good control scheme. Can you play something already?

Sahduk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dude anything is possible if you have great coders, and a little hope
smile.gif

Nekkoru

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The Wii didn't read DVDs, either.

I think it's been proven that the Wii has a standard DVD drive, which means it is able to read CDs, as well.

iritegood

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Nekkoru said:

I think it's been proven that the Wii has a standard DVD drive, which means it is able to read CDs, as well.
I'm pretty sure it's the other way around. The Wii always read DVDs, what do you think Wii discs are?
The DVD drive in the Wii simply does not read CDs, as it doesn't need to.

Unless I'm wrong.

Tanas

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
They have never been able to make a playable PS1 emulator that run games from CD on the xbox, and it ain't going to happen on the wii either.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Nekkoru said:

Nope, to reduce costs it's only able to read DVDs.

robiul said:
Whizz said:
robiul said:
QUOTE(lilkerv90210 @ Feb 15 2009, 11:27 PM) its already been done

cd-rom support?

The Wii doesn't read cds, so no. Aint gonna happen. It would work with isos.

external usb cd-rom drive?
Someone needs to write a library for that. Higly improbable, as it's mostly useless for the Wii, seeing it has USB, SD and WiFi. It'd be only needed by the PSX emulator (I could think of a Saturn emulator too, but I don't see it happening on the Wii) and so someone would have to write a library exclusively for the PSX emu. I don't see that much interest in it to make this feasible. Things might change in the future, but don't push too much hope in it.

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes but they are extremely similar
smile.gif

And as we know, there were originally plans for the wii to support dvd-video (As evidenced by dvdx, etc)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: happy birth +1