Psx disc swap to install FMCB?

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by Roboman, Oct 13, 2016.

1. Roboman
    OP

Roboman GBAtemp Regular

Jan 7, 2016
    United States
    I've looked for a while and can't find a definitive answer. So it's fairly simple to disc swap an authentic ps1 game for any ps1 backup and they run fine on ps2. Can you swap in a homebrew ps1 disc and install Free mcboot from ps1 mode?
    Thanks in advance for clearing this up.

2. ShaolinAssassin

ShaolinAssassin GBAtemp Regular

Sep 5, 2013
    France
  3. Roboman
    OP

Roboman GBAtemp Regular

Jan 7, 2016
    United States
    Well I know there are methods involving swapping out certain ps2 games such as 007 Agent under fire. I was hoping a ps1 swap would work, as those are much more common, and slightly easier.

4. KiiWii

KiiWii GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 17, 2008
    United Kingdom
    I did the 007 method with straw, tape and tissue worked first time on my slim ps2

Last edited by KiiWii, Oct 13, 2016
  5. PewnyPL

PewnyPL GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 2, 2014
    Poland
    It won't work for a simple reason, there is no way for a PS1 game to read a PS2 memory card. Doesn't matter if homebrew or not, PS2 just won't give a piece of PS1 software access to it in any way.

EDIT: And if you meant doing it on PS1 itself, also a no. PS2 memory card won't fit into it, and even if you make it fit, it won't be readable due to much different communication protocol.

Last edited by PewnyPL, Oct 13, 2016
    KiiWii likes this.
  6. Vanth88

Vanth88 Private

Oct 1, 2007
    United States
    Florida
    You can't really do that. However you can use an official PS1 disc to install the exploit using various means and you can use pretty much any PS1 disc to do that.