Discussion PSA - Disable FTP when using switch-lan-play

Discussion in 'Switch - Emulation, Homebrew & Software Projects' started by Freezerbomb, Oct 15, 2018.

1. Freezerbomb
    OP

Freezerbomb Likes tacos

Aug 17, 2018
    United States
    The CFWs that come with FTP have no password authentication. This means that anyone on your network can access your SD card. Someone could delete all the files off your SD card, or even replace your NROs with malicious ones (steal your cert, brick your console, etc.). I highly recommend that you disable FTP when using "switch-lan-play".

Last edited by Freezerbomb, Oct 15, 2018
  2. Ty_

Ty_ GBAtemp Fan

May 22, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Good heads up

3. nero99

nero99 GBAtemp Addict

Sep 18, 2014
    United States
    “Steal your cert”.. what? The cert isn’t stored on you sd card. And no one can access your system unless they know which ip address is yours

4. RHOPKINS13

RHOPKINS13 Geek

Jan 31, 2009
    United States
    Cert isn't stored on SD card, but someone could still replace one of your NRO files with one that will get the cert from your Switch and send it to them. Or maybe even add a .kip module that would do it, it would take a while before most people noticed.

Sure, they may need your IP, but IP scanners do exist so that's really not a problem.

Freezerbomb likes this.
  5. Freezerbomb
    OP

Freezerbomb Likes tacos

Aug 17, 2018
    United States
    Um.. Where did I say your cert is stored on your sd card? Learn to read please. And yes, you can figure out someones ip, or else you couldn't play online with them.

6. KingBlank

KingBlank King of Nothing

Sep 17, 2008
    New Zealand
    New Zealand
    oh, lan play as in VPN play? okey

7. said31

said31 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 16, 2018
    Algeria
    how to disable ftp ?!

8. Freezerbomb
    OP

Freezerbomb Likes tacos

Aug 17, 2018
    United States
    In SXOS, just go to options and toggle "FTP server" to disabled. I'm not sure about other CFWs.