PS1/2 PS2 Soft Mod query

Haizum74

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just got myself a PS2 Phat from a friend and I was sure that a good few years ago I was able to stick freemcboot on it with a copy of Agent under fire and some other hacks including a mem card but for the life of me I cannot remember how to do it and it would appear that t'internet isn't bringing up any suggestions either that I seem to remember.

Have I imagined this or not?

PS Many beers have been drunk since I did it so maybe I am missing something.

Reactions: Alexander1970

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Just got myself a PS2 Phat from a friend and I was sure that a good few years ago I was able to stick freemcboot on it with a copy of Agent under fire and some other hacks including a mem card but for the life of me I cannot remember how to do it and it would appear that t'internet isn't bringing up any suggestions either that I seem to remember.

Have I imagined this or not?

PS Many beers have been drunk since I did it so maybe I am missing something.

Hello.:)

What you can maybe try please:

- Attach your FreeMCBoot Memory Card to the PlayStation 2
- Power it on and simultaneously press and hold the RIGHT UPPER Shoulder Button (R1) on your Controller.

In the best Case it should boot uLaunchELF.

If that works,then you are on the "good" Side of PlayStation 2 Life.:D

If nothing happens,then maybe it boots into the Sony PlayStation 2 Boot Menu and there is maybe the Menu Option to boot uLaunchELF too.

Thank you and
Good Luck.:)

Haizum74

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.:)

What you can maybe try please:

- Attach your FreeMCBoot Memory Card to the PlayStation 2
- Power it on and simultaneously press and hold the RIGHT UPPER Shoulder Button (R1) on your Controller.

In the best Case it should boot uLaunchELF.

If that works,then you are on the "good" Side of PlayStation 2 Life.:D

If nothing happens,then maybe it boots into the Sony PlayStation 2 Boot Menu and there is maybe the Menu Option to boot uLaunchELF too.

Thank you and
Good Luck.:)

Thanks for the reply, when I boot it with the mem card in, it stays on a black screen. When the mem card is removed it boots. I will point out the mem card was from a friend too however when I put it back in after booting and go into the mem card 'settings' it does show freemcboot there.

So, with the mem card in and switch on - zip
Mem card out and switch on - boots fine to the normal PS2 menus

Just found that the dvd drive is sticking too. Aces. On a plus note I have got my retail copy of agent under fire and on opening it, it has the retial disc plus a RW disc in. So, I did something years ago lol

spectral

Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the reply, when I boot it with the mem card in, it stays on a black screen. When the mem card is removed it boots. I will point out the mem card was from a friend too however when I put it back in after booting and go into the mem card 'settings' it does show freemcboot there.

So, with the mem card in and switch on - zip
Mem card out and switch on - boots fine to the normal PS2 menus

Just found that the dvd drive is sticking too. Aces. On a plus note I have got my retail copy of agent under fire and on opening it, it has the retial disc plus a RW disc in. So, I did something years ago lol

There are multiple options when creating a freemcboot card, one is supposed to be a little more reliable but will only work on the PS2 the card is created on. The other which imo is still perfectly reliable will work on any PS2. It's possible the card was created using the first option. I ended up buying a pre-configured free mcboot card from an Amazon seller rather than mess about trying to get it set up myself. It's not worth the effort imo, considering how little they cost. Once you have it running and a HDD installed you can use it to install Free HDboot to the HDD and use that instead.

Last edited by spectral,

Haizum74

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There are multiple options when creating a freemcboot card, one is supposed to be a little more reliable but will only work on the PS2 the card is created on. The other which imo is still perfectly reliable will work on any PS2. It's possible the card was created using the first option. I ended up buying a pre-configured free mcboot card from an Amazon seller rather than mess about trying to get it set up myself. It's not worth the effort imo, considering how little they cost. Once you have it running and a HDD installed you can use it to install Free HDboot to the HDD and use that instead.

Just bought an HDD network adaptor. Sata of course.

spectral

Trophies
XP
Country
Just bought an HDD network adaptor. Sata of course.

I bought one of those too, at the same time. Both work well. I also got a USB caddy for the HDD to connect it up to the PC without having open the PC up each time. Easiest way to copy games over to it. You should bear in mind that pretty much all the sata adaptors aren't actually network adaptors, they're just for connecting a HDD, the "port" is just a plastic dummy port.

Last edited by spectral,

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
when installing FMCB you would have had 2 options, make the memory card for the current console only, or have it work on any console.

likely you chose the first option so the card only worked on the console you set it up at for the first time.

i recently got myself a network adaptor got my isos loaded, one question i have is that OPSL aparently supports raw cheat codes, ive downloaded the manager tool to add cover art ect, but no idea how to add the cheat codes.

Haizum74

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I bought one of those too, at the same time. Both work well. I also got a USB caddy for the HDD to connect it up to the PC without having open the PC up each time. Easiest way to copy games over to it. You should bear in mind that pretty much all the sata adaptors aren't actually network adaptors, they're just for connecting a HDD, the "port" is just a plastic dummy port.
Oh definitely I just called it a network adaptor as thats what the original sony is called. It doesn't have network capability.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

when installing FMCB you would have had 2 options, make the memory card for the current console only, or have it work on any console.

likely you chose the first option so the card only worked on the console you set it up at for the first time.

i recently got myself a network adaptor got my isos loaded, one question i have is that OPSL aparently supports raw cheat codes, ive downloaded the manager tool to add cover art ect, but no idea how to add the cheat codes.

As I mentioned I got it from a friend. I only remember doing it to a PS2 I used to have. This wasn;t my original PS2. I am aware off the option to Mcboot just one specific PS2 or do it for any.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: how are you doing @K3Nv2