PS1/2 PS2 games not working?

Zesu-chan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Today I was trying to play some games on my PS2. I never really did give this thing the attention it deserved and I wanted to start chipping away at my massive last-gen backlog. I'd left these games to sit around for a while, only having played them a little bit. Only after running a few did I find that some didn't work properly. Mostly it was scratched up ones, but I was still suspicious because those games had worked fine previously regardless of the scratches. But then Midnight Club 3 didn't work, and that disk was in absolutely perfect condition.

Still, I proceeded. A lot of games did still work. The almighty Personas 3 and 4 worked, so I didn't have a heart attack. Surprisingly, a lot of scratched games also still worked. But then something terrible happened. Something unspeakable. Something so awful, it should be illegal to talk about it in front of minors. Are you ready for this?

dothack//Quarantine didn't work.

That's right. The conclusion to my most beloved game series... couldn't play on my PS2. I never even got to play it all the way through. I'd only ever tested it out briefly to make sure it worked, but that was a long time ago. I have some personal issues that make it hard for me to focus on things. I was ready for real this time, to finally beat all four of those games that haunted me and ate at my soul. But now I can't, because part 4 - Quarantine - won't work. And it's in perfect condition too! It doesn't make any sense! And do you have any idea how much a new one costs?

I can't explain why - it's complicated - but I absolutely have to confront the dothack games. And I can't do that if the last one can't play.

So, help me out here. What's more likely? That my perfect-condition game which previously worked suddenly can't? Or that my PS2 is just having problems? I'm going to test these games out on other consoles to find out for sure. But if it turns out it really is a broken PS2, what should my next move be? Should I get a new PS2? Should I get an older PS3 that can play PS2 games? Or should I just put that money towards that new PC which I intend to make able to emulate PS2 games?

Help me out here! My heart is breaking.

Zesu-chan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ebay could be either new and extremely expensive, or used and risky. I don't want to travel that road. What's FreeMcBoot and how does it work?
And do you think it's more likely that the PS2 is broken, or the disk is? How often does a disk simply stop working for no reason, anyway? This has never happened to any of my non-PS2 games.

(How does the blog system work anyway? If I post something to it, will everybody know? Or do people have to actively seek out my blog to know I posted something there?)

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
If the disc is burned, then reburn it to a high quality media DVD-R. DVD-Rs are not made to last a lifetime.

Zesu-chan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FreeMcBoot is a hack to play burned backups. To find it use GOOGLE.
Though it could also be a problem with the console...
I'm not sure I have any of the installation methods required. I've got Swapmagic but one of the disks doesn't work on the PS2 anymore.

If the disc is burned, then reburn it to a high quality media DVD-R. DVD-Rs are not made to last a lifetime.
It's not burned. It's an official disk and it's in perfect condition. Besides, I don't have a method to play burned games, and the method I used to have doesn't work anymore.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol