PS1 ModChip ID

spellforce7

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Pakistan
i have a PAL SCPH-1002 Playstation 1 with PU-8 board. can anyone please show me a diagram of how to install these modchips i pulled from PS1 Slims.

Attachments

• boad.jpg
    boad.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 70
  • modchips.jpg
    modchips.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 139
Last edited by spellforce7,

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Unless the drives are defective (and even then replacing the drives might be easier) there wasn't a need to remove those from others units.

Did you take photos of what pin of the chip(s) went to what point on the motherboards in the previous installation? It might be possible to guess the correct points for the PU-8 board using installation diagrams – but as mentioned above – it might be model specific. Not all chips work in all models.

If these are old modchips it might be a an option to consider a PsNee (compatible to virtually any PS1).

Reactions: Alexander1970

spellforce7

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Pakistan
these are how they are installed in PM-41and PM-41 (2) boards and working. one of the point in PM-41 board picture was disconnected so i edit the picture to where it was.

Attachments

• PM-41.jpg
    PM-41.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 86
  • PM-41 (2).jpg
    PM-41 (2).jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 113
Reactions: Alexander1970

spellforce7

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Pakistan
ok i got a weird problem now. i installed the modchip but now only burned backup games are booting and not the original. when i put the original game its says insert dics. any solution. i followed this diagram, i also added my chiiped board picture.

Attachments

• diagram.jpg
    diagram.jpg
    313.8 KB · Views: 155
  • my chipped board.jpg
    my chipped board.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 66

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
ok i got a weird problem now. i installed the modchip but now only burned backup games are booting and not the original. when i put the original game its says insert dics. any solution. i followed this diagram
See this thread: https://gbatemp.net/threads/ps1-reads-backups-but-not-original-games.587436/ especially post #7. It contains the – for me – most plausible explanation: The drive with legit disc and the modchip give the license string at the same time. This results in nonsense and the legit disc is rejected.

It is hard to do anything about this when not knowing what chip (what code) is used and if it is (fully) compatible to the PU-8 and how it gets installed correctly.

A new modchip, MM3 or PsNee, should solve the problem. I've yet to encounter a readable disc (legit or burned) that my PS1 with PsNee doesn't start.

Since backups do start, you could also burn a Tonyhax boot disc and ironically use the "nocash" unlock for starting legit discs.

spellforce7

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Pakistan
See this thread: https://gbatemp.net/threads/ps1-reads-backups-but-not-original-games.587436/ especially post #7. It contains the – for me – most plausible explanation: The drive with legit disc and the modchip give the license string at the same time. This results in nonsense and the legit disc is rejected.

It is hard to do anything about this when not knowing what chip (what code) is used and if it is (fully) compatible to the PU-8 and how it gets installed correctly.

A new modchip, MM3 or PsNee, should solve the problem. I've yet to encounter a readable disc (legit or burned) that my PS1 with PsNee doesn't start.

Since backups do start, you could also burn a Tonyhax boot disc and ironically use the "nocash" unlock for starting legit discs.
thanks. i will just use this one for backups and the ps1 slim for original discs.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Based on the original install pictures, both are "ONEchip".

Both installs have the chip connected to the bios to bypass the extra region check that the pal PSone has. ONEchip is the only pic based chip that connects there. Not playing originals will probably be because it was never designed for use on anything except the PAL PSone.

spellforce7

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Pakistan
Based on the original install pictures, both are "ONEchip".

Both installs have the chip connected to the bios to bypass the extra region check that the pal PSone has. ONEchip is the only pic based chip that connects there. Not playing originals will probably be because it was never designed for use on anything except the PAL PSone.
thanks for the chip identification.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Sup