Problems with saves

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by skawo96, Jul 9, 2008.

Jul 9, 2008

Problems with saves by skawo96 at 5:07 PM (808 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. skawo96
    OP

Member skawo96 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    Well, I had to format my Wii (don't ask why). I forgot to back up the Mario Kart Save with Savegame Extractor. I had almost everything there, and I don't wanna go through all this again.

HOVEWER I remembered that I used extractor to back up my save and I installed save on my friend's Wii. He broke his Wii's drive, so I cannot use extractor to back up it. Now, is there a way to back up this save?
    I tried NAND dumper, but it dumped only "WIIFLASH" file. Is there a way to unpack it? Or use another dumper? I used two: both dumping to SD card. YaWnD and some other...I don't have SD gecko, so Waninkoko's one is out.

Please anwer the question, I don't wanna do the Mirror cups again...

Also, I will NOT Cheat using "100% savegame"

2. Hideki-kun

Member Hideki-kun GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Not sure if this works or not, but have you tried a FS dumper?

3. Krisan Thyme

Newcomer Krisan Thyme Member

United States
    I haven't actually tried.. but wouldn't using the FS Dumper work? It essentially works like the NAND dumpers, minus the encryption as far as I'm aware. A bit messy to sort through all the same, but you should be able to find the guts of your save in there somewhere.

4. skawo96
    OP

United Kingdom
    I'll try, but where I can get this dumper? Also, does it dump to front SD?

5. Krisan Thyme

United States
    I'm too lazy to look for an official link, so I just upped it to one of my servers for you:
    http://www.aphasia-guild.net//other/Krisan...c./FSDumper.rar

I set it up for use on the Homebrew Channel, though you can just as easily boot it through Twilight if you want. And yes, it dumps to the front SD.

6. skawo96
    OP

United Kingdom
    Okay, I'll dump it and post if it worked. Thanks everyone.

7. skawo96
    OP

United Kingdom
    Sorry for double posting, but it's needed.

So I dumped it. Now where the saves are? I got WII_FS folder and a bunch folders inside. I don't see save files there.

8. Krisan Thyme

United States
    The exact location of the saves, I couldn't tell you. If you have a Hex editor handy, open the TICKET folder and start browsing through each file until you see one with a familiar ID therein. (Like how.. With the US version of Zelda, the ID is RZDE..) Once you find that, just go to the matching folder(s) and file(s) under the TITLE directory. You should find the save in there, or at least a few APP's that contain the save data. (which can be extracted with a U8 tool)

It is quite messy as I mentioned earlier, and I've never actually tried to recover a save this way before.. but I think I've heard of some success before from those who have tried the same thing, so I'd imagine it is possible. (you have to use the Savegame Installer to get the save back onto your Wii though, but I imagine at this point you hardly care as long as you get your save back at all.)

9. skawo96
    OP

United Kingdom
    [​IMG] It's fricking huge mass of files. Oh well...