Possibly bricked 3ds

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Yudowat, Jul 5, 2015.

1. Yudowat
    OP

Yudowat That one guy that shows up occasionally

Jun 12, 2015
    Australia
    As you probably read in the title, my 3ds (not xl) could be bricked. I tried what I saw in a max console thread with the fatal error code downgrade fix. I downloaded all the files for 8.1.0-19 or 18 I can't remember but I can check if it's important but I recently restored my NAND with gateway back to 7.2.0-4 instead of keeping it on 8.1.0-4 (or 8 because of downgrade error) so I installed those cia files from 3DNUS for 8.1.0 on 7.2.0 and now I boot with black screens, only blue and charging lights come on. I have tools to do a hard NAND mod but I don't have one installed yet.

so that is my problem now some questions.
    1. was it the fact that I was on 7.2 when installing via files that bricked me as I read elsewhere that a black screen brick is achieved when installing via on 7.1 and above or was it because I installed 8.1.0 files?
    2. Can someone link me a good website or video for a NAND mod tutorial on the smaller 3ds please? All the websites just show XL.
    3. To restore a NAND mod (with hard mod) do I need to have blue screens with the error because I just have black screens.
    4. Can someone please link me to a thread with PROPER instructions on how to solve the gateway downgrade fatal error code 0001001? Not just someone struggling through the issue.
    5. Would it just be better to just install the browser cia instead of all of them to avoid the error next time?

Thank you for all your help, I really don't want to lose this DS, I only got it the other day... And my gateway just arrived.

2. MarcusCarter

MarcusCarter Goodra the Great

Jan 7, 2012
    United States
    Indianapolis, IN
    I have the exact same issue. I updated using 3DNUS .cia files from 8.1.0-18U on my 4.2 o3DS (non-XL). I installed the .cia files with FBI using Pasta. It instantly resulted in a black screen brick. Thankfully, I have a NAND backup from just before downgrading from 8.1.0-18U to 4.2 with Gateway (I immediately after making the backup and downgrading tried updating everything except the browser, mset, and AGB_FIRM (AGB_FIRM is modified so I can play Metroid Fusion) using the method that resulted in a brick). I, however, do not have the tools for a NAND hardmod. I posted here with a request for help with it, for anyone who's interested.

3. Yudowat
    OP

Yudowat That one guy that shows up occasionally

Jun 12, 2015
    Australia
    Last edited by Yudowat, Jul 5, 2015