Not open for further replies.

RowanFN

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey,

Recently with all the awesome switch homebrew stuff coming along I thought, although Wii and GameCube emulation is fine, wiiu would be hard to emulate. So what about a port?

I know this is way in the future but I thought of Zelda, it came out for both systems and work exactly alike (and there is a save file converter). Could you see a way of being able to then convert a wiiu game to a switch file type game?
It'll be cool if possible, and for future reference congrats to the person/team who do it if it happens.

Just thinking on converters from Zelda wiiu to switch and vise versa.
Skyrim mods are pretty much structured the same minus sound and texture files.
On Wii you could inject N64 ROMs on other Wii shop N64 games.

Last edited by RowanFN,

Brawl345

Trophies
Website
wiidatabase.de
XP
Country
Germany
No.
First of all for emulation: There is no Wii U emulator for ARM. Cemu is proprietary (source code not available) and decaf is also only for x86/x64. Not to mention that the Switch would be too weak for that.
"Porting": You can't just "port" something. The code for the Wii U and all its games are closed source. Also, Nintendo of course has it "easy" to port games because it's their consoles and games.

lilpataya

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Both systems have different architectures, plus as brawl345 just said, games are closed source, you can't just port them.

RowanFN

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
No.
First of all for emulation: There is no Wii U emulator for ARM. Cemu is proprietary (source code not available) and decaf is also only for x86/x64. Not to mention that the Switch would be too weak for that.
"Porting": You can't just "port" something. The code for the Wii U and all its games are closed source. Also, Nintendo of course has it "easy" to port games because it's their consoles and games.
Yeah I would figure emulation is way too much for it.

And understand having the source would be better of course. But just had a thought on it while there is some converter for some and pc ports are somewhat similar, I thought a shot in the dark that maybe there could be one in the future for a game (saying like way way in the future here)

Obviously not now or soon that's stupid.

Ninjas we can try!

Reactions: sarkwalvein

michelthemaster

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Guys, really, as i am a WiiU Owner (and i love the console), just wait 1 more year and like every game that has been important on the wiiu will became a remaster on the nintendo switch ;-)

The only games that are missing so far are (for me): Super Mario 3D World, Pikmin, Mario Party and wii sports club. Some other games, i really like for their multiplayer like Nintendo Land or Mario Party`s Bowser Mode wont happen on the switch (..)

Greetz

Micha

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Guys, really, as i am a WiiU Owner (and i love the console), just wait 1 more year and like every game that has been important on the wiiu will became a remaster on the nintendo switch ;-)

The only games that are missing so far are (for me): Super Mario 3D World, Pikmin, Mario Party and wii sports club. Some other games, i really like for their multiplayer like Nintendo Land or Mario Party`s Bowser Mode wont happen on the switch (..)

Greetz

Micha
Xenoblade X

nmkd

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Not possible.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

And understand having the source would be better of course. But just had a thought on it while there is some converter for some and pc ports are somewhat similar, I thought a shot in the dark that maybe there could be one in the future for a game (saying like way way in the future here)

Ninjas we can try!

It's not that easy.

We could build an engine around those games (like Xash3D can play GoldSrc games), but considering there's no documentation it would take at least 5 years per game.

TerraPhantm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it was that easy to port games, there would be no reason to make emulators in the first place.

RowanFN

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey.

Understand fully that it would take forever, I'm not saying nor expecting it any time soon, just wondered how possible is it, having 0 info on it of course renders it all useless and legally it'll be not goodu

Emulation is still needed this would only of been specific from wiiu to switch, emulation of others or on other systems is still needed of course.

Having a thought and wanting to discuss it I don't think makes it a shit post of the year buddy.

Also if it's a million hours, I hope the person would get paid/support for it.

If it was that easy to port games, there would be no reason to make emulators in the first place.
Not saying it's easy as well, I expect it to be bloody annoying and hard,

lembi2001

Trophies
XP
Country
Hey.

Understand fully that it would take forever, I'm not saying nor expecting it any time soon, just wondered how possible is it, having 0 info on it of course renders it all useless and legally it'll be not goodu

Emulation is still needed this would only of been specific from wiiu to switch, emulation of others or on other systems is still needed of course.

Having a thought and wanting to discuss it I don't think makes it a shit post of the year buddy.

Also if it's a million hours, I hope the person would get paid/support for it.

Not saying it's easy as well, I expect it to be bloody annoying and hard,

PLEASE STOP!

You clearly have ZERO clue about the topic you have created.

A port of a game is done by someone that has access to the ORIGINAL source code. This is not possible for homebrew devs believe it or not.

Emulation is the only way we will see games from other platforms on the switch. UNLESS Nintendo themselves release a port for that game.

It does make it shit post of the year if you are failing to comprehend the reasons why what you have asked for is impossible. It is also shit post of the year if you continue to try and defend it even after having had it explained to you.

The only people who will ever be able to port any WiiU games to the switch are Nintendo or 3rd party studios. This does not include homebrew devs. What you are suggesting is a ground up remake of the game which would be hit with so many Cease and Desist notices it would never see the light of day

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Jackson98

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Their are very few Wii U games that really need porting over, and nintendo will most likely do them eventually. Tropical Freeze was the top of the priority list, but considering that nintendo are asking 10$ US more than what they originally asked four years ago on the Wii U release, Im inclined to not buy it until it gets a drop in price or a sale.

reminon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Ninjas we can try!
Without the source code it won't happen. The save files aren't architecture/ platform specific, and can be converted pretty easily compared to porting a closed source native binary. It would probably be less work to clone the game with your own code and transplant assets. Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-6512692/arcade-1-up-infinity-50-games-game-board.jsp?pfm=bdrecs...