Hacking [Poll] Will you be installing ShadowNAND?

Will you be installing ShadowNAND

• Yes, I already have installed the latest build

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Yes, I will install the latest build

Votes: 7 2.9%
  • Yes, when the full version with the CFW comes out

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • No, I'm staying on A9LH

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • No, I'm staying on Menuhax+Emu/SysNAND

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • No, I'm staying 9.3+ and don't want to downgrade to install

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I'm on 11.0 and cannot downgrade to install and I don't want a hardmod

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • No, I installed it but it bricked due to program error

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • No, I installed it but it bricked due to user error

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I'm already using a completed stage2 CFW

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • No, I don't have a 3ds D:

Votes: 3 1.3%

• Total voters

Temptress Cerise

Miss Magic~ <3
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you have any unsigned titles installed to NAND, removing A9LH can permabrick your 3DS (you may still be able to enter safe mode but that's pretty much it) as they will fail signature checks.

Restoring a clean NAND dump is much safer in comparation.
I forget people do that. But eh. I kept my clean backups, so it's not a thing that worries me. :P But yeah @SomeGamer should make sure to remove any unsigned titles from his NAND, before removing A9LH. If he goes the uninstall route.

chaoskagami

G̷̘̫̍̈́̊̓̈l̴̙͔̞͠i̵̳͊ţ̸̙͇͒̓c̵̬̪̯̥̳͒͌̚h̵̹̭͛̒̊̽̚
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure if this is essentially what ShadowNAND/KBG is already (forgive me if it is), but what about a stage2 which just boots a arm9 payload which you could just copy to the nand using godmode9. This will allow more variety and choice, so people can choose their cfw.

All current CFWs rely on an SD card being present. Placing a CFW in CTRNNAD is quite useless, since you can just put it in your SD card and it'll be the same.

This, in a nutshell. You'd need to adapt the CFW to read off CTRNAND rather than the SD. That requires more code (because CTRNAND is encrypted.) Luma would be relatively simple to adapt (it already has the code to read firmware off it) but CakesFW/Corbenik/ReiNAND aren't as easy. And this isn't even getting into loader which reads off SD and would need stuff to be mirrored across EmuNANDs.

Last edited by chaoskagami,

lefthandsword

Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
I forget people do that. But eh. I kept my clean backups, so it's not a thing that worries me. :P But yeah @SomeGamer should make sure to remove any unsigned titles from his NAND, before removing A9LH. If he goes the uninstall route.
If would be better if SafeA9LH installer could verify the signature of system titles or add an optionin Luma to boot sysnand with RSA checks enabled for testing purposes.

Last edited by lefthandsword,

SomeGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
I really hope I won't be needing this. But I'd only need to remove Pictochat, DevMenu, Test Menu (it's a legit CIA though) and CTRAging.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I really hope I won't be needing this. But I'd only need to remove Pictochat, DevMenu, Test Menu (it's a legit CIA though) and CTRAging.
They won't give you problems if you were to reenable signature checks for whatever reason, as they're all not critical apps... with that warning, he was thinking more of the people who have a romhacked home/keyboard/whatever! (or who region changed by editing SecureInfo_A instead of using a legit one from another console)

D

Deleted-379826

Wait what's all this talk about needing to remove unsigned things, is that too install shadownand? I just saw above apps and games don't matter but for me I used HowlingThemeTool once and basically it packs themes as a cia and then you can install it and I did but later I changed it with CHMM2, would any of that matter or effect me once I get Shadownand

chaoskagami

G̷̘̫̍̈́̊̓̈l̴̙͔̞͠i̵̳͊ţ̸̙͇͒̓c̵̬̪̯̥̳͒͌̚h̵̹̭͛̒̊̽̚
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
Wait what's all this talk about needing to remove unsigned things, is that too install shadownand? I just saw above apps and games don't matter but for me I used HowlingThemeTool once and basically it packs themes as a cia and then you can install it and I did but later I changed it with CHMM2, would any of that matter or effect me once I get Shadownand

No, this is about removing any A9LH payload and reverting to vanilla without a NAND dump. Why anybody would do so, I have no clue really.

D

Deleted-379826

No, this is about removing any A9LH payload and reverting to vanilla without a NAND dump. Why anybody would do so, I have no clue really.
Oh ok just didn't wanna read through all pages thanks lol. Although that is true why would anyone want to do it and if they knew they would wanna why not A DANG BACKUP!

Deleted member 381889

Guide Writer
OP
Trophies
XP
You can install ShadowNAND just fine without removing unsigned things.
We're talking about removing a9lh

EDIT: Ninja'd xP

lefthandsword

Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
They won't give you problems if you were to reenable signature checks for whatever reason, as they're all not critical apps... with that warning, he was thinking more of the people who have a romhacked home/keyboard/whatever! (or who region changed by editing SecureInfo_A instead of using a legit one from another console)
Before we have loader patches people modify NS/menu for cold boot region free. If NS fails to start for whatever reason you won't even be able to enter safe mode and you now have a nice brick, Luma really should have an option to temporarily enable sigchecks for testing purposes.

Reactions: SomeGamer

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
how do you uninstall it?
There's an official thread for it right now and it was posted right above your post.
Update: Go look at the official thread everyone!
http://gbatemp.net/threads/official-shadownand.431718/
Still, you have have a few options.
Run the installer again and use the remove option
Use SafeA9LHInstaller to install other version of A9LH
Or flash your NAND back using decrypt either either a NAND pre-A9LH if you want to completely remove A9LH or a NAND with another version of A9LH installed on it.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
D

Deleted User

Nope. Sorry, but I don't see the point in installing this, especially with Luma doing everything I want it to already. No offense, Shadowhand, great work on this by the way, but I don't really want to tamper with what I have set up, especially since everything works.

Though, I did have the same attitude about A9LH back when I was a Menuhax user, so you never know; I may install it some day...

Reactions: Joel16

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Manual charging