[Poll & Discussion] rxTools vs Decrypt9

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by d0k3, Nov 6, 2015.

?

Which is the better one for you?

1. rxTools

8 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Decrypt9

8 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. d0k3
    OP

d0k3 3DS Homebrew Legend

Dec 3, 2004
    Gambia, The
    I know, I know. Pretty bold to open this discussion for me, being one of the main developers of Decrypt9 myself. The reason why I still do it, is because I want to hear what the users say, and maybe there will be some answers that help improve both, rxTools and Decrypt9. Also, no offense meant to anyone, and no flames here, please. If you have some criticism for one of the two (or both), please say so constructively. I myself won't say much here, cause I don't want to taint the discussion right from the beginning.

Anyways, if you want to enter the ring...
    • First, tell us, what console (N3DS / O3DS) and FW version you have.
    • Also, tell us what features (of Decrypt9 / rxTools) you used.
    • You must have tried both, my Decrypt9 build and rxTools. I also advice you to try the latest builds for both.
    • This is not about rxMode. Decrypt9 doesn't contain a CFW, and comparing that would be unfair. Keep that in mind.
    • If you know another tool that would do something even better than those two, let us know.
    Looking forward to hear your opinions :).

2. MassExplosion213

MassExplosion213 .

Feb 15, 2015
    United States
    Personally, I use rxTools more. Usually xorpad gen. And mine is an O3DS 9.2. The only issue with D9 is that the ncchinfo doesn't always work. It fails to build a valid one most of the time.

d0k3 likes this.
  3. d0k3
    OP

d0k3 3DS Homebrew Legend

Dec 3, 2004
    Gambia, The
    Yeah, that problem with ncchinfo_gen.py. I guess I could take a look at what rxTools does differently there. You can also use the script from rxTools to generate the ncchinfo.bin now, so that is strictly speaking not an issue with D9, but rather with the accompanying scripts.

4. Shadowtrance

Shadowtrance GBAtemp Addict

May 9, 2014
    Hervey Bay, Queensland
    No contest... D9 hands down. :D

Some people might not like what i have to say...but stiff shit, here goes. :)
    It's stable, it works and isn't coded by (no offense intended to anyone before i say this...if they happen to read this) possibly incompetent coders and to be honest the whole rxTools codebase is a freakin' mess after roxas left and the "pasta team" took over....funny that, I'm not part of the "team" yet i was THE FIRST PERSON to get it work after it was posted in the pastebin thread...but that's another story for another day.

But back to rxtools vs D9... honestly, i find rxtools unstable and bloated myself and i just don't trust it anymore....period.

/my 10 cents...
    I don't claim to be super coder either btw. :P just puttin that out there. :) far from it.
    flame away...i couldn't give a shit. :P

Last edited by Shadowtrance, Nov 6, 2015
  5. d0k3
    OP

d0k3 3DS Homebrew Legend

Dec 3, 2004
    Gambia, The
    Ouch. Lemme try to soften the blow for a bit (and this comes from one of the main developers of Decrypt9, keep that in mind). I know the rxTools source code, and it's true, part of it is a mess. There are also some things that I wouldn't have done the way rxTools does it now. But still, a lot of talented people work on rxTools, otherwise it wouldn't stand where it is now. Keep in mind, many features were first developed in and for rxTools, before other tools were even capable of them.

What I do think (trying to not taint the discussion here) is, that rxTool lacks direction, especially since @Roxas75 left. @Archshift, the original developer of Decrypt9 is a pretty strict maintainer on the other hand. A lot of stuff, he just wouldn't let through, and you can do pull requests on Github all you like, everything you will do is annoy him :). While this makes it difficult for devs to join the development, it also assures a quality standard for Decrypt9.

6. Shadowtrance

Shadowtrance GBAtemp Addict

May 9, 2014
    Hervey Bay, Queensland
    Yeah that was a pretty hard blow I'll admit, but i had to get it out. And you're right, there are some talented coders involved in it. Japanese numbers (173210) guy (as everyone calls him haha) has been around the psp scene for a fair while and contributed a fair bit to the "new" rxtools. That's just one I'll mention at the moment.
    And yeah archishift seems pretty damn strict on his PR's haha I've seen your activity at times...it's a little crazy. But as you said, it all amounts to the quality standard D9 now has. Which is good. :)

Last edited by Shadowtrance, Nov 6, 2015
  7. dark_samus3

dark_samus3 GBAtemp Addict

May 30, 2015
    United States
    Though I wouldn't call the devs incompetent I will say D9 is generally cleaner and better implemented than rxTools, I honestly haven't trusted rxTools since the first 3.0 alpha....

I use cakes in substitution for rxmode and D9 for all other needs :)

I use an o3ds on 4.2

8. MassExplosion213

MassExplosion213 .

Feb 15, 2015
    United States
    I know this isn't the place to ask, but could you add automatic SecureInfo_B deletion to your SecureInfo_A injector?