Pokemon, CFW and cross-region multiplayer

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by TheArchitect-, Nov 30, 2016.

1. TheArchitect-
    OP

TheArchitect- Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 28, 2014
    Australia
    Quick questions about regions and local multiplayer.

My gf is a total Pokemon-fangirl and I got her the new one for Christmas. While I'm not really interested in it I figure it would be fun to play with her a bit. She has a stock o3DS (US) with a retail US cart of Pokemon Moon. I have a EU o3DS with A9LH+Luma. If I get the game for my region we probably can't play together, I know that. Would it work however if I use an out of region cart or .cia through Luma?

Bonus question: Her 3DS is on 11.0. as of right now. Pokemon needs that FW to play. But would she be able to do the local multiplayer thing without updating? I'm kinda waiting for slowhax to...well...slowhax her 3DS. So I'd like to avoid updating if not absolutely necessary.

Thanks a lot

2. Sekyom

Sekyom Member

Newcomer
    Nov 24, 2016
    France
    What ? You can play with her on the multiplayer and local, no need of a CFW.

3. Sketchy1

Sketchy1 gbatemp's shadiest warez dealer

Aug 9, 2016
    United States
    Local play is fine, you don't need to update it to be able to play.
    BUT you can't do this cross region locally. You *should* be able to play online with her tho, if you just add her to your EU friends list then go online, cause Pokémon servers are all interconnected between regions

I would know, I tried this when FE:fates first came to america. I was still using the Japan translation. Long story short, has to restart my game to play with friends. Never play a lunatic classic playthrough twice. Plz.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Well actually you are screwed, nvm, cause you need to update to go online

4. Ericjwg

Ericjwg GBAtemp Psycho!

Jul 2, 2015
    Canada
    cross region pokemon local game play is originally supported by the game.:)

5. Xiphiidae

Xiphiidae

Sep 13, 2009
    Australia
    You probably will need to update to go online, so you'll have to have homebrew access and use ctr-httpwn to get past the update requirement.

6. gnmmarechal

gnmmarechal Seriel's Original Stalker

GBAtemp Patron
    gnmmarechal is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 13, 2014
    Portugal
    https://gs2012.xyz
    CTR-HTTPWN won't work for Pokémon Sun/Moon with an Old 3DS, as the game's an extended memory game, thus rebooting the console if it is an old 3DS/2DS.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Why don't you hack it now? SlowHax won't allow you to downgrade, afaik. It'll just make it so you can install the DSiWare save with a single console (afaik, it is an ARM11 exploit). So, you might as well do a regular DSiWareHax downgrade, since you'll need to buy the DSiWare game anyway, and already have a CFW 3DS.

7. TheArchitect-
    OP

TheArchitect- Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 28, 2014
    Australia
    Thanks for the replies, guys. Well, yeah guess online play's out of the question with her needing to update anyway. Still a bit confused about the cross region local multiplayer though. Some say it's possible others not. :unsure:

I would love to do that but unfortunately my 3DS is European, hers is from the US, so I can't do the downgrade requiring two 3DS.
    Since through some crazy coincidence she already has one of the exploitable DSiWare games installed I'll just have to wait for slowhax for now.

8. gnmmarechal

gnmmarechal Seriel's Original Stalker

GBAtemp Patron
    gnmmarechal is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 13, 2014
    Portugal
    https://gs2012.xyz
    Oh, I see.

9. Xiphiidae

Xiphiidae

Sep 13, 2009
    Australia
    I believe Pokémon is one of the few games where cross-region local multiplayer is possible.

Ericjwg likes this.