Hardware Please help me gigabyte z87c oc force

MohammedQ8

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Kuwait
Hi,

I have a weird problem with my PC, sometimes it boots normally and other times it boots to a low-resolution bios screen and then boots to low-resolution windows icon, after that, I get a black screen. however, when it boots normally I can play games in the ultra settings and everything is normal like passing heavy benchmarks in the maximum setting without getting the blue screen of death nor shutting down suddenly. I noticed that if I unplugged my pc out of the wall and then plug it back it boots to the low-resolution bios until I get a black screen again after low-resolution windows icon.

I updated the bios to the latest update which released in 2014.
I changed the MB battery.
I used the backup bios to fix the main bios.

why does it fail to boot correctly sometimes? is it a ram problem or MB problem?

CPU i74790k
MB gigabyte z87x oc force
PSU AX 1500
GPU 2x titan x Pascal 2016
ram 32g Corsair

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,

I have a weird problem with my PC, sometimes it boots normally and other times it boots to a low-resolution bios screen and then boots to low-resolution windows icon, after that, I get a black screen. however, when it boots normally I can play games in the ultra settings and everything is normal like passing heavy benchmarks in the maximum setting without getting the blue screen of death nor shutting down suddenly. I noticed that if I unplugged my pc out of the wall and then plug it back it boots to the low-resolution bios until I get a black screen again after low-resolution windows icon.

I updated the bios to the latest update which released in 2014.
I changed the MB battery.
I used the backup bios to fix the main bios.

why does it fail to boot correctly sometimes? is it a ram problem or MB problem?

CPU i74790k
MB gigabyte z87x oc force
PSU AX 1500
GPU 2x titan x Pascal 2016
ram 32g Corsair
Do you have an over clock on your CPU? I would remove it and check for a bent pin.

Last edited by Xenon Hacks,
Reactions: TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That sounds more like a GPU problem than a motherboard problem. Try taking both cards out and booting off of the mother integrated graphics a few times to see which is causing the issue, and if the problem stops try both cards one at a time. I have the feeling one card is beginning to fail or your system just really doesn't like your SLI setup

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That sounds more like a GPU problem than a motherboard problem. Try taking both cards out and booting off of the mother integrated graphics a few times to see which is causing the issue, and if the problem stops try both cards one at a time. I have the feeling one card is beginning to fail or your system just really doesn't like your SLI setup
it could be either but its probably the CPU seeing as its booting into the BIOS on its own before windows

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also, I doubt it's a RAM issue, but if you're concerned it is you could run Memtest86+ just to check

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

it could be either but its probably the CPU seeing as its booting into the BIOS on its own before windows
I don't think it is, I'm fairly certain that what he's referring to is the motherboard manufacturer logo

MohammedQ8

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Kuwait
when the bios boots to the low resolution I can't change it back to full HD again (not supported). Sometimes the bios fix itself and boots to full HD which makes windows boots normally and sometimes not.

I ran Memtest86+ before I didn't get any errors.
It doesn't get to the bios menu by itself when I see a low-resolution gigabyte logo I enter the bios to change the bios resolution to full HD but I can't.
I never overclocked my CPU nor GPU, I only used ram profile.

very strange, sometimes it doesn't start up correctly, even windows advanced options/disk can't fix it.

MohammedQ8

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Kuwait
UPDATE: (I have a weird problem with my PC, sometimes it boots normally and other times it boots to a low-resolution bios screen and then boots to low-resolution windows icon, after that, I get a black screen), it was connected via DVI. while it is in black screen I removed the DVI cable and connect it Via HDMI to the monitor, guess what is the pc working normally.

I am super confused lol.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep, that definitely sounds like either a driver issue or an issue with at least the port on the GPU. I'd highly recommend taking one out and testing both individually in the primary slot

Or, now that I think about it, it could even be an issue with the monitor, although that shouldn't cause the computer to completely stop booting. I've seen weirder stuff before though

Plus... May I ask why you're running a high-end SLI setup and using DVI for your monitor interface?...

Last edited by TotalInsanity4,

MohammedQ8

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Kuwait
I am using DVI instead of HDMI because of VR, I don't want to go behind the pc every time I want to use HTC VIVE.

It didn't stop working, it was working all this time. when it happened it boots to low-resolution logo icon and it continues to low-resolution windows icon and then it gives me a black screen. while it is in black screen after low-rs windows logo I connected via HDMI instead of DVI it gave me a signal. windows is working normally on HDMI.

just now it gave me a black screen again after I restarted the system on DVI, disconnected and used HDMI, the signal came back.

very confusing, is it windows or Nvidia?

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Again, I'm not sure. You really should test stuff out on your end, though, we've given you a few suggestions on what to try to troubleshoot

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I'd also in general recommend getting a Displayport monitor. I feel like a lot of the power of your PC is being wasted by the limitations that are associated with older DVI monitors

MohammedQ8

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Kuwait
Update: I bought a new DVI cable which fixed the problem and I updated everything in the device manager manually one by one. Now my pc is working fine.

It was a bad DVI cable.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: aeiou