Playstation 2 compatibility enabled for all hacked PS3 models

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
mysis and eussNL have discovered a method to enable PS2 software compatibility on PS3 consoles. This method allows newer PS3s to use the software-based emulator released with the second generation hardware.

Getting Playstation 2 Software Emulator working

Method (on Firmware 3.55, without! Cobra-USB Dongle or Downgrade) for all consoles (fat & slim).

1. Replace following files on your consoles /dev_flash/
with the ones included in this archive
p3dwik-ps2compatfiles.rar
2. Get into Factory Service Mode (FSM Tool/Dongle)
3. Insert your Original PS2 Game Disc
4. It will run.

Note: Backups wont work. You're getting the compatibility of the 2.60 software emulator with all of its bugs.

Source: PS3 Development Wiki via PS3Hax

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
It require the factory mode? That's the one with the Red square displayed on screen?
And only for 3.55
I think it's still not noobproof enough.

Maybe it will become easier later (like the Cobra dongle enabling it directly from the loader. Or was Cobra switching to factory mode?)

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
It require the factory mode? That's the one with the Red square displayed on screen?
And only for 3.55
I think it's still not noobproof enough.

Maybe it will become easier later (like the Cobra dongle enabling it directly from the loader. Or was Cobra switching to factory mode?)
Yeah, it looks that way. I can't even use it because I updated to OFW ages ago (for Netflix and PSN), but it would be nice for others if it was straightforward and simple. Still, it's a step in the right direction.

Tom

Gbatemp's Unofficial Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This doesn't really mean much, sony is planning on re-enabling ps2 support for all consoles with a software update, but i guess it's good for those on 3.55

Clarky

Don't you know who I think I am?
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This doesn't really mean much, sony is planning on re-enabling ps2 support for all consoles with a software update, but i guess it's good for those on 3.55

where did you hear that? Pretty certain Sony is more than happy with the scheme they got now where you buy PS2 games off PSN or have the games tarted up in a HD Collection.

anywho I would guess the BC is similar to what the conbra dongle offered, having to use a wired controller and a broken mess of emulation, but it is progress

Magsor

I am watching you
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
A psp homebrew was released a while ago to turn it into a service dongle its called ps3jig.
Will PS2 titles still be region locked (as they are on the original 60GB model)?
It will be the same. But (unlike stated in op )backup will work if you use swap magic coder and OPL and then its region free.

Reactions: 1 person

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
OP
Trophies
XP
Country

where did you hear that? Pretty certain Sony is more than happy with the scheme they got now where you buy PS2 games off PSN or have the games tarted up in a HD Collection.

Sony patented the idea of an adaptor that would provide hardware PS2 emulation to newer devices. I'm pretty sure they'd rather sell that than provide the emulation for free in a software update.

anywho I would guess the BC is similar to what the conbra dongle offered, having to use a wired controller and a broken mess of emulation, but it is progress
The emulation is the same as the PS3 models that originally supported it so, AFAIK, wireless controllers should work. It wasn't perfect, though.

GameWinner

Take your heart
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess this doesn't mean much to me since I have most of my older games in the form of HD collections and some I brought off PSN. The only game I have on my PS2 is Persona 4 and even then I'm getting rid of it once I get the Vita port.

Fear Zoa

Still Alive
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've heard the compatibility is quite shit, same compatibility as cobra I believe. Still I guess its a step in the right direction.

(Good thing I modded that phat Ps2)

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Is this the same method that was posted on Ps3hax months ago?? or is this a different method
http://www.ps3hax.net/showthread.php?t=34059
That method appears to actually downgrade the console to 2.50, which didn't have a hardware check to decide whether PS2 games should be playable or not. In the method I posted, you can stay on your current firmware version and the console appears to be tricked when it does the hardware check.

Reactions: 1 person

Tom

Gbatemp's Unofficial Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Sony patented the idea of an adaptor that would provide hardware PS2 emulation to newer devices. I'm pretty sure they'd rather sell that than provide the emulation for free in a software update.

The emulation is the same as the PS3 models that originally supported it so, AFAIK, wireless controllers should work. It wasn't perfect, though.
Heard it on ps3hax.net a while back , fw 5.0

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: it won't make it better or worse